Grumpy2

just booked our first trip

31 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Glad to hear that it will get better as you go. a tip next time squeeze some  silicone lubricant in the awning rail you may find it easier.

thanks for that, not easy to explain but the difficulty wasn't getting it to run through the channel but threading it into the cannel opening - it kept getting stuck - once in it ran very smoothly.

cheers

2 hours ago, Grumpy2 said:

Tucked away now until early spring and our next trip out.

cheers

Gary

Spring?!?! Couldn’t wait that long between trips! We’re next away for New Year, can’t wait. 

• Like 1

sounds like you did okay, we're another one who doesn't do winter in the 'van, even though the van is set up for it.  We have just emptied it and put it away for the winter now, have you done your's yet? 

yes I'm pretty sure I've done everything - I've got a spreadsheet!  Geeky I know!!

• Like 2

On 03/12/2019 at 16:32, James Donald said:

Gosh what scaremongers ! You will be frightened to leave home . Just go and enjoy it!.

nooo   James, it's like your mum telling you to put your coat on when you go out just in case it might rain  :D  best to be safe than sorry  

On 07/12/2019 at 19:48, Grumpy2 said:

thanks for that, not easy to explain but the difficulty wasn't getting it to run through the channel but threading it into the cannel opening - it kept getting stuck - once in it ran very smoothly.

cheers

As a sailor who feeds stuff in tracks on a regular basis, the secret is to hold the tape down well below the cut-out with one hand,  and using the index finger of the other hand pushing in at the bottom of the cut-out... That lines stuff up and allows a relatively smooth feed.  

thanks for the tip. I think part of the problem was linked to the plastic extrusion channel for the awning to thread into. I think its just a bit too flexible allowing the cord to jam. On our last caravan (bought 30 years ago ) the channel was aluminium and never snagged.

I am of the enjoy and don't overthink it-AND GO OUT WITHOUT MY COAT on purpose 'cos I can and it annoys my health and safety obsessed brother! Mind he does make planes so maybe a good thing! We have never weighed our caravan-load the car and keep heavy stuff over the axles, but we do have a checklist and hitching gets done twice in my head now as things like that are so important-also regularly check the wheel nut torque and tyre pressures before every outing. If you forget anythig you can buy or borrow it! First time out we visited our neighbours for a corkscrew!