Grumpy2

just booked our first trip

Excited! just booked our first trip out later this week.

what can possibly go wrong?

Everything that can go wrong, will-at the worst possible moment.     Fingale’s law.

But that’s the fun of caravanning.

Have a great time.

nanamel

• Like 1

Just take it easy, don’t try and do too much. Concentrate on getting your van and car correctly loaded and hitched and safely on site. Levelled fore and aft, side to side so the waste water drains properly. Safely connected to the electricity supply and the water and heating working as it should. Once you’ve got these sorted, feet up and relax. 

• Like 1

Hi. Be certain that your outfit is not overweight. During 35 years of towing I have been taken off the road twice by the police and (1) caravan weighed (2) car weighed. Axle weights checked. Noseweight checked. I was cleared as OK both times. If in any doubt weigh items in batches. And check which items are actually included in the 'Unladen Weight' otherwise ENJOY

You should never tempt fate by quoting "what can possibly go wrong".  It will.  Beware.  Other than that, enjoy yourselves

• +1 1

What can possibly go wrong? 

The list is almost endless, and I have no intention of starting that list! 

A more realistic question might be “What is likely to go wrong” and hopefully the answer to that one is “Not very much” But of course it only takes ONE 

Have a great time and remember all sorts of things can go wrong with all sorts of things, only deal with them IF they happen.

Andy

Congratulations and enjoy your trip. On top of everything else said remember most caravaners are a friendly bunch. Any problems just ask your neighbours or the wardens on site who are usually more than happy to help. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Lon said:

Hi. Be certain that your outfit is not overweight. During 35 years of towing I have been taken off the road twice by the police and (1) caravan weighed (2) car weighed. Axle weights checked. Noseweight checked. I was cleared as OK both times. If in any doubt weigh items in batches. And check which items are actually included in the 'Unladen Weight' otherwise ENJOY

During 15 years of towing we have never been pulled over nor had weights checked. Do we have any "public" weighbridges even? Don't know anyone who's been stopped.

You'll be overweight because personal weight capacities are ridiculously low. Just be sensible and enjoy.

• Like 1

Public Weighbridge, not where I live, I rang the Council and asked, where I could find one, they did not have a clue

Hope the trip goes well. Things do go wrong but other caravaners will normally be pleased to help if you let them know.

I have always hoped, and found each time I've gone camping/caravanning.  I forget something.  When that happens, I know I'm going to have a stressfree holiday:D.  I don't know what will happen if I don't forget anything:blink:

9 hours ago, PandR said:

Do we have any "public" weighbridges even? 

Have a look here, you may have one. There's quite a few within about 30 miles of me.

Edited by Joe1002

11 hours ago, PandR said:

During 15 years of towing we have never been pulled over nor had weights checked. Do we have any "public" weighbridges even? Don't know anyone who's been stopped.

You'll be overweight because personal weight capacities are ridiculously low. Just be sensible and enjoy.

A number of police forces carry out operations checking caravans and motorhomes .

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15260032.police-officers-stop-more-than-30-drivers-during-caravan-and-trailer-operation-on-a12-near-boreham/

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

9 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

A number of police forces carry out operations checking caravans and motorhomes .

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15260032.police-officers-stop-more-than-30-drivers-during-caravan-and-trailer-operation-on-a12-near-boreham/

Dave

no sure how often though, that was two and a half years ago. However that said, I've seen a few pull-ins, the route out of Dover is a favourite (or used to be) for overloaded coaches and other stuff from France

4 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Public Weighbridge, not where I live, I rang the Council and asked, where I could find one, they did not have a clue

Try your local rubbish trip.  They need to weigh lorries in and out in order to charge them for tipping.  Another possibility is a scrap metal dealer.

Edited by DACS

31 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

None got weighed here.

19 hours ago, Grumpy2 said:

Excited! just booked our first trip out later this week.

what can possibly go wrong?

hope you're not travelling too far from home on the first trip, always handy to nip back home for things you've forgotten, keep a pad and pencil to make notes of things to remember, good luck:)

• Like 1
  • +1 2

Gosh what scaremongers ! You will be frightened to leave home . Just go and enjoy it!.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, PandR said:

Similarly 50 years of caravanning never been stopped while towing by the polis for anything😀.

Thats towing to John O Groats and Lands End(almost) plus several towing trips to Europe.

I personally know of no one being stopped for weights checks.

In addition towed boats stock cars race cars loaded car trailers etc.

The stock cars were towed on race days for several seasons never a polis man in sight apart from track side restraining disgruntled competitors😂😂.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PandR said:

We were pulled into a spot check last spring, M40 IIRC.

They checked various things including, licence, registration, tyres, mirrors, breakaway cable, lights etc. and that the caravan connection cable was not hanging too low, then gave me a security pen suggesting that I mark the radio and fridge with the Criss number.

They had what appeared to be a mobile weighing rig, but did not use it on my outfit, possibly only bothering to weigh outfits that looked overloaded.

• Like 1

Don't  forget the bottle opener.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DACS said:

Try your local rubbish trip.  They need to weigh lorries in and out in order to charge them for tipping.  Another possibility is a scrap metal dealer.

Tried the local tip, problem there is a very very steep ramp, the van would bottom out trying to get onto it, no Steptoe and Son here as well

Hello Grumpy2

Relax, enjoy your first trip and if you need to know anything whilst you are away just ask the site wardens/owners or any other caravaners and you'll find that you will get plenty of help.

You learn something each time you go away, then one day some newbie will ask you something and you WILL know the answer and YOU will be able to help them. Then you will be able to bask in the subsequent glow of satisfaction that you are no longer the newbie! :)

BH

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Back home now - everything went reasonably well.  Jus a couple of hours to set up and the same to break down.  I'm sure this will get better with experience.

Air awning went up very easily with 12v pump but threading it into the channel was a bit of a faff. Came down MUCH better than expected. - Need a bigger tarpaulin though.

Tucked away now until early spring and our next trip out.

cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Glad to hear that it will get better as you go. a tip next time squeeze some  silicone lubricant in the awning rail you may find it easier.

Edited by oldboy
  • Like 1