Mark&Penny14

Alpina Wheel Torque Settings

Just picked our lovely new Alpina Colorado and having driven 70 miles back from the dealer I want to re torque the wheel nuts however I can’t find a figure anywhere in the plethora of paperwork that came with it, does anybody have this info. 

May be on the weights plate by the door?

Wheel bolt torque is 130NM for alloys. I read the Swift hand  book yesterday before doing mine.

The tyre pressure is on my plate by the door but not the wheel nut torque.

Enjoy your new caravan.

Edited by Ern

Generic Adria manual here ... see 21.1.4 Tightening the wheel nuts

• 100 Nm - steel wheels 
  • 120 Nm - Alloy wheels  (light metal) 

image.thumb.png.ba64714c36e23ccf64e31a8de4406d2e.png

OH NO, I've been doing it wrong! I do 5-4-3-2-1  ARRRGH  :o

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

Bad you!!! 

I have some birch twigs if you wish to borrow them to further enhance your overall feeling of “badness” 

Andy

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Flat_at said:

I have never seen any dealership do that sequence in the previous post when they do the torquing in front of you on collection.

I've always used that sequence (except when I had 4 stud wheels, when it was opposites) and all the dealers that have checked my van wheels use the opposites sequence.

I've never seen anyone use a sequential clockwise or anticlockwise sequence.

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I have never seen any dealership do that sequence in the previous post when they do the torquing in front of you on collection.

I have never known anyone do it wrong. Its an elementary skill done instinctively so If a person is seen doing it wrong his friends or other workers would mention it. To my mind, anyone doing it wrong is doing it deliberately wrong, and should be told about it.

Eeee you cant get the spanna munkeys these days!

Following on from that how about the fast fit boys who gun the nuts  up then put the torque wrench on to make sure they’ve exceeded the manufacturers recommendation or alternatively put the wrench on, wait for the click then give it 1/2 turn more to be quite sure......

if ever I was given a new starter to take under my wing, torquing up wheel bolts correctly was one of the first things they would be shown. Using an air gun to loosen locking wheel bolts was also verboten. It helped to show them too that there are various settings on an air gun other than ‘full chat’. Personally I always use a speed wrench on wheel bolts after starting by hand. You can feel if it’s going on cross threaded before you’ve done any damage. 
( I’ve attached the photo of the plate on my Swift to illustrate why I made my initial suggestion)

27786C1B-E9CE-491B-B762-8F877732A435.jpeg

We bought our caravan from friends who had not toured with it, so no guidance given.  We are totally clueless and haven't done any torqueing!!  Should wheels be torqued before/after every journey or both?  And will that sequence apply to any model or should we check the handbook?  We have a Unicorn Valencia III 2015 model.  Many thanks.

10 minutes ago, Bavnelly said:

We bought our caravan from friends who had not toured with it, so no guidance given.  We are totally clueless and haven't done any torqueing!!  Should wheels be torqued before/after every journey or both?  And will that sequence apply to any model or should we check the handbook?  We have a Unicorn Valencia III 2015 model.  Many thanks.

Check the torque after 50 miles if the wheels have been off. In your case it would be worth checking them before you tow as you don’t know when they were last checked.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  Once checked would we then only need to check if wheels have been off or at regular intervals?  It was serviced in September, prior to us purchasing, would that have been checked?  Sorry for being so dim, just our friends had a sudden tragic bereavement and we have been unable to get the service sheet from them as yet.

How do most folk check / re-torque wheel nuts and studs, or for that matter any other fittings that are torque critical.

1) Set your trusty torque wrench to the correct setting then simply go round each nut till it clicks, or reads on the scale on a deflection torque wrench.

2) Or do it the correct way, which is to unload the torque off the fastening, then re-torque to the correct setting.

Doing it the first way can only tell you two things, one is that if any fastening moves until the wrench clicks, the fastening was loose and below the correct setting, the second being that if the fastening doesn't move and the torque wrench clicks then all you know is that the fastening is at least to the correct torque setting, but may well be, in most cases, over the correct setting and sometimes grossly so.

Wow, I think we have a lot to learn...….

On 05/12/2019 at 19:43, Mr Plodd said:

Bad you!!! 

I have some birch twigs if you wish to borrow them to further enhance your overall feeling of “badness” 

Andy

Many thanks for the offer, but I don't consider myself to be THAT bad    :D

On our caravan, after a service I check the wheel bolt torque by slackening off and then tightening until the torque wrench clicks. Subsequently I just use the torque wrench to make sure the bolts are still tight before each journey without slackening them first, just in case they have become slack or maybe somebody in storage had done something.

On our cars, I use the torque wrench after fitting the wheels back on if they have been removed and do not bother again.

11 hours ago, Silversurf said:

How do most folk check / re-torque wheel nuts and studs, or for that matter any other fittings that are torque critical.

1) Set your trusty torque wrench to the correct setting then simply go round each nut till it clicks, or reads on the scale on a deflection torque wrench.

2) Or do it the correct way, which is to unload the torque off the fastening, then re-torque to the correct setting.

Doing it the first way can only tell you two things, one is that if any fastening moves until the wrench clicks, the fastening was loose and below the correct setting, the second being that if the fastening doesn't move and the torque wrench clicks then all you know is that the fastening is at least to the correct torque setting, but may well be, in most cases, over the correct setting and sometimes grossly so.

Refit wheel bolts to xyz Nm.  

50 miles later, check wheel bolts...  

• If any bolt moves, it has slackened off and good job I checked.
  • If the torque wrench just clicks then I can be fairly sure the bolts are still set at xyz Nm.  They won’t have over-tightened themselves.

If nobody else has been at your wheel bolts and you are starting from a known value a simple click is good enough.

On 01/12/2019 at 09:26, Mark&Penny14 said:

Just picked our lovely new Alpina Colorado and having driven 70 miles back from the dealer I want to re torque the wheel nuts however I can’t find a figure anywhere in the plethora of paperwork that came with it, does anybody have this info. 

Mark, I've got an Adria with Alloys and go for 120nm. 

I think it is buried somewhere in the generic A4 handbook you should have got.

If you got a steel spare with it, you should have also got a set of wheel bolts for that as they are different apparently.

Cheers.