Sign in to follow this  
Oldroamer

MiFi device choice

Hi All,

I know there have been many threads related to this topic but I am asking those posters who have actually used any of the devices listed below for their opinions.  I am about to purchase a mifi device as I have become underwhelmed by the performance of CMC site WiFi.  My mobile phone contract does not allow tethering so that is not an option.  Our data needs are only for emails and general internet browsing so not heavy use, thus the 3 network 12 or 24 Gb preloaded SIM cards would be fine.

Amazon are currently offering the following devices:

Tp link M7200 £40

Huawei E5573Cs-322 £41

Tp link M7350 £65

Huawei E5577 £63

Is there any real advantage in the later two, is there any difference between the two brands?

Brian

Three don't have one which works in the USA.

8 minutes ago, PandR said:

Three don't have one which works in the USA.

My use would be UK any maybe Europe, but mainly UK

FWIW ...

We have run a Huawei E5573Cs-321 (very good) for over 3 years with a one off Three with legs data only chip, when on special price, for UK & EU use. Battery life good.

We also additionally use a portable Aerial unit (it's just a bigger dedicated aerial receiver) which we sucker onto the sunroof when on many rural sites with commonly fair or very poor reception - also recommended.

Never failed to then get a decent strength signal and fast wifi upload & download.

Proved cheaper than paying for dismal Wifi.

M

Huawei E5573s-320 for us! Had it over three years. Has worked well throughout UK and France!

We just buy SIM cards from ‘My Memory’ when they are on offer.

Three 12GB do us for a year!

Huawei E5577- 4G for me as well. Very pleased. 

I am using an older Huawei E5330 BS, it is 3g.

It has worked perfectly (assuming there is a signal to get hold of), I am using it with a 3mobile sim card, not everywhere has a 3 mobile signal, perhaps spare sim's from other providers is an option, never used an external aerial but I assume they would be beneficial.

It seems to me they all will work if you have a signal and the price does not mean you will have a better signal, I am not planning on replacing the one I have as it works just fine, I have allowed two other people to pair with the device without any problems other than increased data usage.

I

Edited by Sea&Sand

I use a Huawei can't check which one at moment and the cheap Mr Memory SIM cards as others, these cards say 3g and 4g but I only ever get 3 g.

Works everywhere I've been OK, should I rebuy a unit if I'm happy with this?   Any advantages with 4g I'm missing?

Thank you all for your input, I have decided to try the Huawei 5573 and from you replies I’m sure it will be fine.

David38, the difference between 3G and 4G is speed, so it might be worthwhile going to 4G but if you find 3G quick enough for you then why bother?

regards

Brian

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I use a Huawei can't check which one at moment and the cheap Mr Memory SIM cards as others, these cards say 3g and 4g but I only ever get 3 g.

Works everywhere I've been OK, should I rebuy a unit if I'm happy with this?   Any advantages with 4g I'm missing?

3G tops out on a good signal at about 10Mb/s or so (in the real world.) 4G can theoretically get well into three figures but on a good signal high 40's should be easily achieved. It does depend to some extent  on your ISP though. in my experience O2 is consistently better than the others with EE not far behind. There are many many places in rural areas that 3 have chosen not to install 4G.

HI Brian

I've had  a Huawei 5573 for  the last two years and it's been great.   But be warned that when you buy a data sim check that the finer details of using the data abroard ,  We got caught out .  We bought a 24 gb sim from Three but could only use a maximum of 12 gb in a month  in France.  If we had known we would have used the data more wisely or brought 2 x 12 gb data sims.  The sims are activated on the day you start using them.  So, we could have held back on activating our second sim til we needed it. 

6 hours ago, Oldroamer said:

David38, the difference between 3G and 4G is speed, so it might be worthwhile going to 4G but if you find 3G quick enough for you then why bother?

The Huawei I have is 4g but before that I had a 3G one. It was fine. The only reason that I changed was that I had a friend who had to go into a nursing home for a while and the room he had did not pick up the building wifi. I gave him by router with about 18gb data on and bought the 4g for our next tour. The later one is definitely heavier and I assume a larger battery. 

I use a Three Huawei E5573Cs-322.  It works fine in UK and Europe but didn't in the USA.

I pay about £9 a month for 20Gb with three.  That price wasn't on their website - I'd previously been paying a lot more and rang to cancel but the price they offered persuaded me to stay.

If the signal is weak, I pop the unit up into the sunroof.

Edited by Tigger

I think your find the E5573bs 332 has no option of aerial input .

Dave

Oops - just checked mine.  It is a E5573Bs-322. 

As CommanderDave says, no aerial input.

My earlier E5573s-320 has dual aerial inputs (and did work in the USA).

Edited by Tigger

3 hours ago, Tigger said:

Oops - just checked mine.  It is a E5573Bs-322. 

As CommanderDave says, no aerial input.

My earlier E5573s-320 has dual aerial inputs (and did work in the USA).

FWIW ...

Not dis-believing you in any way as the aerial sockets are not visible. 

Is there not a semi concealed small clip up flap on the bottom edge next to the charger socket with the sockets hidden behind ? It look likes part of the body moulding but use you nail to flip it up.

I may be wrong but would be very surprised if missing this common Huawei feature.

M

Yep mine is hidden in that way also. I discovered it a few months ago :)

21 hours ago, montesa said:

FWIW ...

Not dis-believing you in any way as the aerial sockets are not visible. 

Is there not a semi concealed small clip up flap on the bottom edge next to the charger socket with the sockets hidden behind ? It look likes part of the body moulding but use you nail to flip it up.

I may be wrong but would be very surprised if missing this common Huawei feature.

M

You have to be a bit careful when buying the Huawei E5573Cs-322. The Huawei product spec states no external aerial ports.

Spec

However the photos shown on Amazon for the E5573s-320 show the external aerial port and cover.

IMHO having the option to connect an external aerial like the Netgear TS-9 Window Antenna is worth the extra.