Sign in to follow this  
sandy

CMC membership fees

What I don't understand is an extra charge for an awning when all the sites pitches are fully hard standing. 

OK got that.  Then charge per person instead of per unit.

Edited by LenV

44 minutes ago, SamD said:

What I don't understand is an extra charge for an awning when all the sites pitches are fully hard standing. 

I am SO glad I am not the only one who gets fished off by this blatant rip-off charge. 

Basically, to my simple mind, when on a campsite I “rent” a pitch,  and they tend to be well marked out, so why the ???? should I have to pay extra if I erect an awning on the space I have already paid rent on?

It’s not as if the space my awning takes up can be “rented out” to anyone else, so the site are not “losing out” are they? 

Andy

• I agree completely 2

28 minutes ago, LenV said:

OK got that.  Then charge per person instead of per unit.

Some sites do - I've used commercials in Scotland where there's a charge per person plus a charge for EHU if you want it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am SO glad I am not the only one who gets fished off by this blatant rip-off charge. 

Basically, to my simple mind, when on a campsite I “rent” a pitch,  and they tend to be well marked out, so why the ???? should I have to pay extra if I erect an awning on the space I have already paid rent on?

It’s not as if the space my awning takes up can be “rented out” to anyone else, so the site are not “losing out” are they? 

Andy

Does it matter as long as the total cost is clearly visible?

Edited by Black Grouse

10 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Some sites do - I've used commercials in Scotland where there's a charge per person plus a charge for EHU if you want it.

Does it matter as long as the total cost is clearly visible?

I prefer to see a single, all inclusive per pitch per night charge - normally to include car & caravan or motorhome and two adults with EHU and awning.

That said, however a pitch is priced, I add the requirements up and then make a value judgement.  Mostly there is not a great disparity between per night charges when comparing like for like in all aspects.

Whilst I may think a site is expensive, I’d never consider pitch prices a ’rip off’ as prices are fully visible/available before booking and it is entirely up to me whether or not I book onto any given site at the prices asked.

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I have a mate who owns a site, the awning charge is to cover extra electric usage that 95% of the time occurs when up goes an awning and out comes a fan heater.

I would imagine all sites do the same, the actual con is not to charge for awnings as that site includes the extra electric usage in the pitch fee. (Unless on a meter)

I actually prefer separate costs, it seems fair to everyone. 

Edited by Wellys and Mac

3 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

I have a mate who owns a site, the awning charge is to cover extra electric usage that 95% of the time occurs when up goes an awning and out comes a fan heater.

I would imagine all sites do the same, the actual con is not to charge for awnings as that site includes the extra electric usage in the pitch fee. (Unless on a meter)

I actually prefer separate costs, it seems fair to everyone. 

So why is the extra charge made for an awning in the height of summer?  To cover the cost of a fan???

I contacted one site last year to query their published costs as it was more expensive in the winter not the height of the summer. Their response was “Everyone use more electricity in the winter so we have to charge more to maintain our profit margin” Which I thought entirely reasonable.

The charge was extra per pitch and was the same with or without an awning. 

Andy

Remember that in a mature capitalist economy that prices are based on customer demand, not on site costs - just like everything else in this world, the supply-demand rules reign supreme.

On 18/12/2019 at 10:03, Durbanite said:

long

One good thing about CMC sites all included in pitch price awning, electric and then you pay per person, 

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

So why is the extra charge made for an awning in the height of summer?  To cover the cost of a fan???

I contacted one site last year to query their published costs as it was more expensive in the winter not the height of the summer. Their response was “Everyone use more electricity in the winter so we have to charge more to maintain our profit margin” Which I thought entirely reasonable.

The charge was extra per pitch and was the same with or without an awning. 

Andy

People still deploy fan heaters in our British summer, I do.

One family on my friends site had 2 heaters going, one at each end, presumably on low setting, to keep the dogs warm which slept in the awning.

The CMC pricing is ridiculous as it assumes everyone has a dog/s and awning, 

I can remember on one C&CC site, a few years back, when the awning came down out came a small chest freezer and tumble dryer, that was July in Cornwall.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

2 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

People still deploy fan heaters in our British summer, I do.

One family on my friends site had 2 heaters going, one at each end, presumably on low setting, to keep the dogs warm which slept in the awning.

The CMC pricing is ridiculous as it assumes everyone has a dog/s and awning, 

I can remember on one C&CC site, a few years back, when the awning came down out came a small chest freezer and tumble dryer, that was July in Cornwall.

CMC don't charge for dogs or awnings 

1 minute ago, mjohns4 said:

CMC don't charge for dogs or awnings 

Which means the cost is still there for those without dogs or awnings

4 hours ago, mjohns4 said:

CMC don't charge for dogs 

Yes they do, its worked in the price, everyone pays regardless, they even have the cheek to charge exactly the same for a non awning pitch, that tells you everything you need to know!

Now if your happy with that, then that's fine, people have the choice to go or not, but please dont anyone try and dress up the pricing policy for something it isnt, and that's fair to users.

I would have thought it being a members club, and this could apply to the C&CC no idea never used them, that the pricing structure would be the fairest in the land!

Edited by Wellys and Mac

Some sites are just greedy.

I use one where they charge for dogs with a dog limit of two, charge for awnings, charge £6 a day for a visitor, and also have meters fitted for the electric.

I don't like the meters but unfortunately awning man was leaving awning heaters on etc.

We don't use a awning, have dogs, and few visitors as its also adult only, and we now only use the site in the warmer months.

At one time the site would be full, but now we notice even in august there are empty pitches.

We are no longer members of either clubs, and two cl's we use are no longer cl's, says it all really.

7 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Yes they do, its worked in the price, everyone pays regardless, they even have the cheek to charge exactly the same for a non awning pitch, that tells you everything you need to know.

I cant follow your reasoning!   True they charge the same for a pitch with an awning as they do for a pitch without.   That to me equals that they don't charge for awnings.   Likewise with a dog.   They charge the same price for with as without a dog.  So likewise, they don't charge for dogs.

To regard it as otherwise is a bit like the hard-up newly-weds.   The husband arrived home one evening and said he'd run behind the bus and saved the bus fare.   His wife told him he should have run behind a taxi because he would have saved more. :blink:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Which means the cost is still there for those without dogs or awnings

There is no costs to anyone if it's the same pitch.

37 minutes ago, AndersG said:

There is no costs to anyone if it's the same pitch.

The high cost of club site pitches includes dogs and awnings - many non-club sites are cheaper but charge for dogs and awnings - so using a club site without dogs or an awning incurs a higher cost.

• I agree completely 1

13 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Yes they do, its worked in the price, everyone pays regardless, they even have the cheek to charge exactly the same for a non awning pitch, that tells you everything you need to know!

Now if your happy with that, then that's fine, people have the choice to go or not, but please dont anyone try and dress up the pricing policy for something it isnt, and that's fair to users.

I would have thought it being a members club, and this could apply to the C&CC no idea never used them, that the pricing structure would be the fairest in the land!

Mate how do you work out that everyone pays, a lot of commercial sites show the breakdown of prices, ie awnings, dogs, pup tents etc, do you really believe these prices are built in on CMC sites so everyone pays to any costs associated with awnings and dogs, can you please show me evidence of your thoughts 

• I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The high cost of club site pitches includes dogs and awnings - many non-club sites are cheaper but charge for dogs and awnings - so using a club site without dogs or an awning incurs a higher cost.

And your evidence for that is obtained from where exactly???  I have seen a fair few commercial campsites that charge more than CMC yet still charge extra for awnings and dogs. 

Pure assumption on your part, and we ALL know what assume means don’t we? 

Andy

• I do not understand 2
  • I agree completely 1

6 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

There's no extra cost for the site when you have a dog or an awning on the pitch and they should not be charged for.

There's a cost to the site for electric and I'm perfectly happy for them to charge extra for it and let me decide if I want to use it but we rarely go to sites that charge extra for a dog.

Paying extra for dogs and awnings does seem to be profiteering to me. They do not increase the sites running costs to any great extent so why charge for them.

7 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Paying extra for dogs and awnings does seem to be profiteering to me. They do not increase the sites running costs to any great extent so why charge for them.

The charge for awnings is because people put heaters in them and electricity has a cost - but that's already been said - and the charge for dogs is a deterrent to discourage people from bringing them,  especially in numbers - and that seems effective.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Paying extra for dogs ............. does seem to be profiteering to me. They do not increase the sites running costs to any great extent so why charge for them.

Simply because they can.   If you want to bring your dog onto this site where I'm staying in Spain, - and there are dozens of them, you'll pay 2 Euros a day for each dog for the privilege.

2 hours ago, moorgate said:

The charge for awnings is because people put heaters in them and electricity has a cost - but that's already been said - and the charge for dogs is a deterrent to discourage people from bringing them,  especially in numbers - and that seems effective.

yep, I agree with that, it certainly deters me if they charge a lot for dogs. I don't agree with heaters in the awnings but the CMC is okay if you charge cars, bikes and scooters and then go on to ask us to go easy on using the electricity. 

I agree that there should be an additional fee per dog.  The CMC will probably be the last to implement that though. They are still living in the 1970's.

As far as charges are concerned, any single caravanners I've met, say they don't like the CMC pricing as it's biased against singles.  

Example (rough)

A couple pay  Pitch fee  £10.00  per person fee £ 10.00 each = total £30.00

Singles pay  Pitch Fee £10.00 and one Person fee £10.00  so singles pay a total of £20.00 . 

Whereas on Proper Sites which charge per person, if a couple are paying £15.00 each, total being £30.00 then a single would only pay £15.00 which is only fair and equitable.    The CMC have a big problem with their pricing.

Edited by bessacarr425