Sign in to follow this  
sandy

CMC membership fees

agree - we like them and TBH I reckon a lot of those who feel put out by the warden's probably bring it on themselves.

• Like 1

We did speak to a warden who was having a terrible time with a very rude caravaner-after they had stomped out. They had  set up the van the wrong way round in spite of it being VERY clear everywhere how to site the van with seats outside the door overlooking the neighbour etc etc. .  UK van too so no real reason for it.. The warden in question was so tactful but some people love to complain and create fuss.  Not saying that is the case with anyone here of course. I would not like to have had to spend at least 10mins putting up being talked to as they did to the warden and said so to them afterwards! They appreciated my sympathy but did say it doesn't happen often.

Edited by Jezzerb

Hides head under parapet in preparation for the flak!

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

agree - we like them and TBH I reckon a lot of those who feel put out by the warden's probably bring it on themselves.

I would normally agree with you, but we complied with all the rules and kept to ourselves.  There was no need for the warder to shout at us and not give us a chance to reply.  It was embarrassing and upset the wife and also our friends especially as they had taken the time and effort to clear it with reception.  They were also C&CC members and had only recently joined.

31 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I would normally agree with you, but we complied with all the rules and kept to ourselves.  There was no need for the warder to shout at us and not give us a chance to reply.  It was embarrassing and upset the wife and also our friends especially as they had taken the time and effort to clear it with reception.  They were also C&CC members and had only recently joined.

Why are you whinging about the C&CC when this thread is about the CMC - just asking:unsure:

• I agree completely 2

I've never met a Grumpy warden on any campsite.  I'm sure much of the reported confrontations come from campers who think that the site rules apply only to other people and not to themselves.  I always have respect for Wardens who apply the rules firmly and fairly,,,, that way the site is a pleasant place for all. 

Edited by bessacarr425
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

I've never met a Grumpy warden on any campsite.  I'm sure much of the reported confrontations come from campers who think that the site rules apply only to other people and not to themselves.  I always have respect for Wardens who apply the rules firmly and fairly,,,, that way the site is a pleasant place for all. 

We did on one site!

So many complaints that he left a week later!

On 18/12/2019 at 10:43, Ern said:

I sincerely hope you are right. We have dumped their "Caravan Cover" and gone elsewhere for "Competitive Insurance". I hope Red Pennant doesn't get the club's "kiss of life" in the new year with the same justification logic. 

After posting that on Wednesday, I thought it only fair to say I used the CMC web site yesterday to get a quote for 2020 travel insurance with Red Pennant. The good news is that I succeeded in getting a quote, suggesting that Red Pennant lives on:D. Even better news - the price is the same as last year:D:D:D:D

6 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We did speak to a warden who was having a terrible time with a very rude caravaner-after they had stomped out. They had  set up the van the wrong way round in spite of it being VERY clear everywhere how to site the van with seats outside the door overlooking the neighbour etc etc. .  UK van too so no real reason for it.. The warden in question was so tactful but some people love to complain and create fuss.  Not saying that is the case with anyone here of course. I would not like to have had to spend at least 10mins putting up being talked to as they did to the warden and said so to them afterwards! They appreciated my sympathy but did say it doesn't happen often.

Most of the CMC site plans that are available on line or generally given out when booking in usually show that a van can be pitched reversed in with the offside rear corner to the peg, or pitched front end in with the nearside front end to the peg.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

19 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Most of the CMC site plans that are available on line or generally given out when booking in usually show that a van can be pitched reversed in with the offside rear corner to the peg, or pitched front end in with the nearside front end to the peg.

I suspect that on all CMC sites you can park nose in or nose out. Sandringham site used to be the exception but I believe that is no longer the case

mmm you learn something everyday-we don't pay much attention it is usually our preferred way but the majority of ones we've stayed on have a little model on the desk and shows parking offside rear to the peg. Must have a closer look next time!

Hi

The wardens at Tintagel are quite happy to allow members to pitch nose in to enjoy the magnificent views

500 th post

Sandy

• Like 1

I've been on plenty of site where I've been able to park nose in - you just have to ask and they'll decide whether it's ok for the pitch that you've selected. They offered me to do it at Bladon Chains earlier this year without me asking

There are even those where I've parked side on when there's been sufficient clearance to other vans - Crossways being one, but I've always asked first.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

I take a simplistic view that if the pitches can't allow pitching any which way, then they're too small for me - this rarely applies to CLs which mostly have much bigger pitches.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 2

Yes we usually go CL-not  done enough big sites to know but thank you for the advice.

We have had one bad assistant warden in 30 plus years. The problem is not limited to the clubs however there are bad ones on private sites as well. One bad warden is not a reason to avoid there sites and I doubt they last long.

We have had a couple of bad warden's, few years back one let himself into our awning to tell me off for having a car wheel on the grass, impossible not to, as I pointed out the other folk around had wheels on the grass too, then I threw him out, explaining a few seconds earlier Michelle was in her underwear, dont do  this again over something as trivial.

The other we rocked up at reception, Michelle went to book us in, I let our little dog out to stretch her legs, immediately set upon by a warden actually shouting, "dont you leave your car".

My reply, " I'm not, now $%/& off".

Both Caravan Club sites, 

4 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

… The other we rocked up at reception, Michelle went to book us in, I let our little dog out to stretch her legs, immediately set upon by a warden actually shouting, "dont you leave your car".

My reply, " I'm not, now $%/& off".

Sounds to me like Chatsworth clubsite - the only site where I’ve had a problem with a warden in 30-odd years!

On arrival he stuck his head in our window (literally) and said “A driver stays with the car to move it forward, the other one books in”, to which I replied that my wife was having leg problems and wouldn’t be doing either.

He said I’d have to pull to the side to let everyone else through (about a dozen units!) … but I just ignored him, got out and went to reception, paid and returned to the car - the queue hadn’t even moved.

I got dirty looks from him for the rest of the week as he kept an eye on SWMBO to see if she could walk.

John

A few years ago they removed the main wardens partway through the year at Black Knowl CMC site in Brockenhurst and sent them to Cheddar were they did not last long before being removed.

My Wife and I have been members of both clubs for many years. I can honestly say we have never met any bad, grumpy or over zealous wardens yet. May be we are lucky. The thing that baffles me about both clubs is why is there pricing in two parts. ie pitch fee and a charge for each person. I cannot see the relevance of the number of people. Surely it would be much easier to just charge for a unit. If anyone can explain this, then I am all ears. 

39 minutes ago, LenV said:

My Wife and I have been members of both clubs for many years. I can honestly say we have never met any bad, grumpy or over zealous wardens yet. May be we are lucky. The thing that baffles me about both clubs is why is there pricing in two parts. ie pitch fee and a charge for each person. I cannot see the relevance of the number of people. Surely it would be much easier to just charge for a unit. If anyone can explain this, then I am all ears. 

A party of 6 creates more work and uses more energy than a party of two.

40 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

A party of 6 creates more work and uses more energy than a party of two.

Please explain.

It takes less energy to keep the caravan warm as there are more bodies emitting heat, so no extra pull on the electricity supply, we also supplement with gas. 

We use our onboard facilities so there is no extra work for the wardens around the shower blocks.

1 hour ago, LenV said:

It is fairer that way, If they charge per unit everyone will pay the same irrespective of how many people there are in a unit.   

The wife was walking along the road with our dogs off a CMC site near Ilminster and on her way to the gate one of them need to answer a call of nature.  As she was bending down to pick up the contamination, the warden came running out of the office to tell her that she should be using the dog walk.  The dog walk was in the shade and a total mud bath due to all the rain!  Only CMC where we have had an issue with the warden.

49 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Please explain.

It takes less energy to keep the caravan warm as there are more bodies emitting heat, so no extra pull on the electricity supply, we also supplement with gas. 

We use our onboard facilities so there is no extra work for the wardens around the shower blocks.

We use onboard shower/toilet facilities too but many, maybe most, caravanners use site facilities - energy for showering in the caravan goes up with the size of party.

In reality, it's up to each site to determine how to structure its charges, whether a Club site, a CL/CS or a commercial - it's also up to caravanners to decide of the total site cost is value for money as many things are charged as extras at various sites, eg extra people, extra car, awning, dogs, showers, wifi, etc.