sandy

CMC membership fees

Hi just read in the club crapazine that membership fees are going up to £54. With last year's reduction in membership they have to raise fees to compensate. This is also on top of the recently announced increase in site fees. I wonder if this is the straw which will break the camel's back and lead to a further reduction in membership.

Sandy

• +1 1

I have not long renewed but I suspect this is probably the last year of Caravan Club membership for us.  We can book non club sites with similar per night costs and save the membership fee.  

I will keep my paperless membership of the C&CC up for the foreseeable though.

We go to rallies and CL. That's why we are members.

• +1 1

When I enquired why I was told it is because of a 24% increase in utility costs and a increase in the national living wage which led to the increase .

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

When I enquired why I was told it is because of a 24% increase in utility costs and a increase in the national living wage which led to the increase .

The cost of electricity has stabilized over the last year. Also why should membership fees increase to subsidise utilities etc this should be included in site fees as this is where the said increases have occured.

Sandy

cc membership fee has increased from£42 to £54 in 8 years, over 3% pa year on year - current inflation rate is 1.7% - it comes down to each of us to decide if it's worth while to access whichever services we use - for us it's just CLs and Mayday.

I've been a member since 2005.

We used to be cc site lovers, but have found many other sites which are just as clean, but not as expensive. 

I can save 10% on some ferry crossings, but others can also offer these discounts. 

It's unlikely that I will renew in March.

It is not always about the money.  Dont forget the magazine.

Are the letters real or written by a committee?

For me its for mayday only, site fees are just too expensive.

CLs and ferry bookings for us

Just renewed, looking at the increase in site fees for next year as well could be the last year, been a member for 28 year's 

I am a member of both clubs (at present) and have been for 40 years or so, I do think membership  of CCC I think is better value as both clubs offer the same in terms of insurance, Ferries,Tunnel etc but CCC has the edge as they offer ud Old Timers  Site Discounts, also the new CCC Mag is better than the CMC Mag

• +1 1

We've been in the C&CC for 25 years and now get it for half price.Like the Temporary Holiday Sites. Was in the Caravan Club for a few years but let membership lapse. Rejoined this year at the February NEC show mainly to get access to CLs, though we haven't actually used any yet.Always preferred the cc magazine, but can't tell the difference between the two now. Not surprised membership is falling. Back in the early noughties the average age of the members was in the late sixties so a good few must have fallen off the perch by now, with fewer younger ones replacing them. 

Edited by Dobloseven
Wrong letter size

The club's management hasn't listened to the membership on anything.  Apathy rules in AGM's. The club has no exceptional cost increases ( re-brand is normally marketing budget, not investment)  so increasing pricing more than £2 (4%) per year MUST be very questionable. Just another big management blunder which will not even give much cash benefit to the club, because it is certain to back fire and lose members (each lost member costing a lot more than £2). They rattled me over the Insurance mess up this month, from which I have already walked after 40 years business. My membership is due next month! What next? 

Edited by Ern
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sandy said:

The cost of electricity has stabilized over the last year. Also why should membership fees increase to subsidise utilities etc this should be included in site fees as this is where the said increases have occured.

Sandy

More electric being used ?  More people go away in winter due to sites being open all year means someone has to pay for more use of heating and lighting . When sites only opened in the summer the electric was minimal use with no heating the electric charge in winter does not cover the electric being used  . More members have plug in hybrids .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Plugging electric cars into the bollard having an effect? 

Sometimes the location of the club sites could be an attraction. I will probably remain a member as we like to use Abbey Wood CMC site when visiting family in London.  As far as I've been able to find out there isn't another site in the same area which we like the look of.

The site fees may be steep but certainly much less than hotel accommodation 

• Like 1

Whilst not liking increases but to put this in perspective, for the cost of 3 or 4 nights CL fees we get 12 magazines a year, access to CLs  and 10% off ferries.  Seems like not a bad deal to me, especially as we do like CLs. 

• Like 2

Us too; love the magazine and I think they are both ie camping v cmc very similar to be honest-I just enjoy them both so.I think we would miss both clubs-for the variation and choices they give you with sites. We tend to do a mix depending on area we want to visit eg to do Snowden we did Morris Leisure, to do London w e love the Abbey Wood site-as above -not many sites with a supermarket , petrol and train straight in to London so handy.We tend to go CL sites but go for the biggies if it's near an attraction we want to see. Mind we did Longleat- never again-it was a bit riotous to say the least! May be we were just unlucky on that one ! TBH we'd miss the options it would give when planning a 'bigger ' holiday but will review it when our membership comes up. Put into perspective over the year the rise although inflation busting isn't a deal breaker for us.  Divide it over the year and it really isn't  that significant.

Edited by Jezzerb

8 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

More electric being used ?  More people go away in winter due to sites being open all year means someone has to pay for more use of heating and lighting . When sites only opened in the summer the electric was minimal use with no heating the electric charge in winter does not cover the electric being used  . More members have plug in hybrids .

Dave

Any increase in site energy costs and site wages costs should be reflected in site fees, not membership fees

Cant get too excited about a few pounds on the membership fee or the site fees, although I would prefer CMC to offer a paperless membership as CCC do.

We tend to use CMC sites, mainly for the flexibility that no deposits allow.

By that I don't mean block booking and then cancelling, or booking and not turning up, but we do find it handy to move on after a few days if we don't like a site or an area without loosing anything, as long as we go to another CMC site.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

54 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Cant get too excited about a few pounds on the membership fee or the site fees, although I would prefer CMC to offer a paperless membership as CCC do.

We tend to use CMC sites, mainly for the flexibility that no deposits allow.

By that I don't mean block booking and then cancelling, or booking and not turning up, but we do find it handy to move on after a few days if we don't like a site or an area without loosing anything, as long as we go to another CMC site.

We're members of both clubs and have a paperless service from both. We don't appreciate the monthly magazine so stopped the CMC one by request and have expressed preferences for nothing by post. We have digital only membership of the CCC.  I agree that the CL network is great and this year the Brittany Ferry prices for early booking have been excellent. That makes the membership fee reasonable in our opinion. BUT, they cannot justify putting it up because all the services and sites network are running on a profit basis - so have to be independent, they don't hand money to CL's, so   what's the membership fee for?  Why does it have to go up more than inflation?

We hardly ever use CMC club sites due to the high cost preferring CLs whose prices stay the same whether it is a peak period or not.  After the storage site fiasco earlier this year we no longer use Mayday but as that has changed we will probably join Mayday again next year.  Not sure how they can justify the increase in membership fees when they spend money willy nilly on vanity projects?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Any increase in site energy costs and site wages costs should be reflected in site fees, not membership fees

That's what I was told by the CMC when I e-mailed them on the increases in membership and site fees .

24% increase in utilities can only be more electric used as the unit price has not increased that amount ?

I see more owners of plug in Outlanders plug in over night  . The cost of using all this extra electric has got to be paid for . In the winter using heating and more lighting your only paying half your using . 

My electric this weather 4 to zero runs on 2 kw and hardly turns off by the thermostat so is using 8 amp x 24 hr at 15 p a commercial unit .

Dave

Most definitely agree with the 'vanity ' statement-that was nuts!

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

That's what I was told by the CMC when I e-mailed them on the increases in membership and site fees .

24% increase in utilities can only be more electric used as the unit price has not increased that amount ?

I see more owners of plug in Outlanders plug in over night  . The cost of using all this extra electric has got to be paid for . In the winter using heating and more lighting your only paying half your using . 

My electric this weather 4 to zero runs on 2 kw and hardly turns off by the thermostat so is using 8 amp x 24 hr at 15 p a commercial unit .

Dave

That extra electricity should be paid for by increased site fees, not increased membership fees - otherwise it means that members who don't use club sites are subsidising those who do.