Iain baird

Toilet bowl level dropping

Took the shower drain trap off to clear out hair etc. Now after having a shower and the trap has water in it the toilet bowl level drops and gurgles as if air locked. When I take the trap off and empty water out then put back on the toilet is fine although when flushing the sound of flushed water echo's up the shower drain. Toilet is now fine until the next time someone showers. ?????

This effect I find is a indication that the pipe has a blockage and needs clearing . This might be the site owners responsibility ?

Dave

• +1 1

36 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

This effect I find is a indication that the pipe has a blockage and needs clearing . This might be the site owners responsibility ?

Dave

It may be the vent pipe blocked, causing a vacuum relieved only by the shower outlet.

• +1 3

1 hour ago, Iain baird said:

When I take the trap off and empty water out then put back on the toilet is fine although when flushing the sound of flushed water echo's up the shower drain. Toilet is now fine until the next time someone showers.

I can’t think why the toilet is behaving that way, makes no real sense to me.  Best to make sure the drain is running freely.  Unlikely to be a blocked vent pipe as that would be 100mm.  But if your toilet is vented by a McAlpine air admittance valve, perhaps this is malfunctioning.

see here.

However, the water you drain out of the shower trap is there to form a seal.  Emptying the water will allow drainage smells into the shower as well as the sound from the flushing toilet.

John

Sounds like a partial blockage downstream of where the shower and toilet drains connect so part of the drain runs flooded when there is a high water flow. What happened to all the hair, etc you removed from the shower drain, was that put down the toilet and could it have helped cause a blockage ?