A caravan/moho specific satnav is one of the last things that I would leave at home while touring.

With Black Friday on the horizon, if any of you are thinking of taking the plunge, I thought that you might appreciate our honest review of the device that has guided us from Hungary to the UK then back to Italy in the last year.

https://worldwidewalkies.blog/2019/11/24/caravan-motorhome-specific-sat-nav-tom-tom-go-camper-review/

After the Tom-Tom update fiasco  early this year I would never touch one. 

Garmin for me every time. Just my opinion.

We would never look at a Garmin or Aguri preferring the TomTom despite the fiasco earlier this year.

• +1 1

30 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We would never look at a Garmin or Aguri preferring the TomTom despite the fiasco earlier this year.

Funny that small aircraft, vessels etc don't agree...

I've always had TomTom sat navs.  Never had any issues

• +1 1

My TomTom with Camper Maps added has been pretty reliable both in the UK and in Europe. Unfortunately I am a bit reluctant to invest in a more up to date model because TomTom no longer make it easy to add extra POI's as a separate category. Reading the Aguri website they  seem to be able to be added by drag and drop like you could with the older TomTom's. My new motorhome has a built in TomTom, which whilst not perfect is generally OK other than not being able to add extra POI's.

David

The clock update issue from TomTom earlier this year was INEXCUSABLE... They knew it was going to happen and disable a lot of middle-aged devices over 12 months in advance. It didn't get fixed until August.  Other manufacturers dealt with it with little impact to the user base

I think that TomTom would make more sales if they also released the 'Camper' version as a software upgrade to the newer existing hardware rather than ask for £300+ for a separate unit.

After all it is just software, the technology is the same and believe the later units have enough RAM to take it.

I would gladly fork out £50 to upgrade and add the option to my iPhone GO - just a thought.

I have been very happy with GO and have yet to come across a built in SatNav that is better or simpler to use.

17 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Funny that small aircraft, vessels etc don't agree...

Do small aircraft and vessels tow wide caravans down narrow UK roads or for that matter any roads in the UK?  Some how I don't think so.  :D

Come on people, lets not turn this into a "my satnavs better than yours" squabbling match!! If you use ANY make of satnav and you're happy with it, so be it.

5 minutes ago, Townie said:

Come on people, lets not turn this into a "my satnavs better than yours" squabbling match!! If you use ANY make of satnav and you're happy with it, so be it.

My Satnav is better than all of yours - when she has not got the map upside down :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had my Tom Tom Caravan edition repaired after the update issue. Working perfectly again. :D

Just now, Ian McH said:

Had my Tom Tom Caravan edition repaired after the update issue. Working perfectly again. :D

We did the same and thanks for the tip.

On 25/11/2019 at 09:44, Townie said:

Come on people, lets not turn this into a "my satnavs better than yours" squabbling match!!

Just reading this, looks more like a "my satnav is worse than yours" squabbling match :unsure:

Don't even have one ?  Still seem to get where we want to!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, James Donald said:

Don't even have one ?  Still seem to get where we want to!

Not sure why you commented if you do not have one?  Obviously you do not have a wide caravan and never go to the continent.  :D

• Like 1

We use Garmin; never used Tom Tom because i looked at planes and ocean going boats and most seemed to have Garmin. They are ok but i am far too mean to buy the caravan or motorhome specific types, and we look at the map, decide on our prerferred route and then use google maps to have a look at the smaller roads by following the route-also check with the site for their directions too as they often stipulate preferred routes in when you get close. This way we avoid past experiences when we first started caravanning when sat nav took us down totally stupid routes and a low bridge we had 20cm max clearance to get under!!!!! We just don't trust them entirely but use them as help.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

This way we avoid past experiences when we first started caravanning when sat nav took us down totally stupid routes and a low bridge we had 20cm max clearance to get under!!!!! We just don't trust them entirely but use them as help.

A Camping and Caravan Satnav would not haver taken you down unsuitable roads as you are able to input the height, length and width of the caravan.  We have never had an issue when using our TT Caravan Satnav.

True but too tight -theyre much more expensive ! If ours packs up we may invest!

I have a Garmin motorhome and caravan model and a Snooper S8000 Ventura both used for couple of years and still prefer the Snooper as they both do much the same but the Snooper is free updates and the cameras are easy which it is done every three months that is very simple to do but the Garmin is a lot longer involved .

Dave

5 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I have a Garmin motorhome and caravan model and a Snooper S8000 Ventura both used for couple of years and still prefer the Snooper as they both do much the same but the Snooper is free updates and the cameras are easy which it is done every three months that is very simple to do but the Garmin is a lot longer involved .

Dave

So are the updates on my Garmin Camper, 4 times a year.

Edited by Doosan

My Garmin gets free updates when I get around to doing it , which was Monday this week as I had nowt else to do

It's now even got the new A14 Swavesy to Ellington bypass in it which only opened on 9th December which I reckon is as up to date as you can get.

It would be nice if the Ford Sync 3 unit in my S-Max was as easy. I've downloaded the updates onto a USB stick but I've now got to drive for half an hour to give it time to update itself. Next long trip is on Christmas Eve

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

My Garmin gets free updates when I get around to doing it , which was Monday this week as I had nowt else to do

It's now even got the new A14 Swavesy to Ellington bypass in it which only opened on 9th December which I reckon is as up to date as you can get.

It would be nice if the Ford Sync 3 unit in my S-Max was as easy. I've downloaded the updates onto a USB stick but I've now got to drive for half an hour to give it time to update itself. Next long trip is on Christmas Eve

Some units you have to put the stick in the head unit first to get information then plug the stick into the computer to download the new update then you plug it back into the head unit .

The wife has a sat nav with WiFi that just connects and updates with not much effort .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A Camping and Caravan Satnav would not haver taken you down unsuitable roads as you are able to input the height, length and width of the caravan.  We have never had an issue when using our TT Caravan Satnav.

A camping and caravan sat nav will most certainly NOT differentiate between say a vehicle that is 2.7m high and one that is 3m high. 

The very simple reason for that is that all  of the companies that supply data to the sat nav manufactures do NOT know the specific height of each and every bridge, nor the width of every single road. What they DO get is information in respect of LOW bridges the threshold (I think) is set is 3m. So if you input a vehicle height of LESS than that threshold it will route you that way, if you input a height OVER that threshold it won’t. 

Yes I do know that sat navs usually ask you for the actual dimensions of your vehicle, but the software  ONLY looks to see if what you input is above or below a certain predetermined (by them) parameter. 

Sat-navs are very sophisticated items , but ONLY as a useful guide, the problems occur when people blindly accept what they are told rather than using their eyeballs (AND of course, common sense) 

Yes I have one (the make doesn’t matter) and yes it is a “Camper” version, and no I don’t rely on it 100% and fairly often will ignore the “Turn left/right” instruction because I don’t like the look of the road I am being directed onto. I tend to use them for getting from A to Close to B, at which point I tend to use local signposts to campsites (because someone has taken the trouble to signpost a route that won’t cause problems to caravans etc) 

As an aside there are very few bridges that have less than 3m clearance under them, they certainly DO exist, but much more so on the continent than in the U.K. 

Andy

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Some units you have to put the stick in the head unit first to get information then plug the stick into the computer to download the new update then you plug it back into the head unit .

The wife has a sat nav with WiFi that just connects and updates with not much effort .

Dave

Mine's supposed to have WiFi as well but it doesn't seem to update - dunno why. We've got a good fast internet connection (76mbit/s) and the wifi signal strength is more than adequate. It connects but doesn't update, so I've got to do it the hard way (unless I've got to leave the car switched on for an hour or so.

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

A camping and caravan sat nav will most certainly NOT differentiate between say a vehicle that is 2.7m high and one that is 3m high. 

The very simple reason for that is that all  of the companies that supply data to the sat nav manufactures do NOT know the specific height of each and every bridge, nor the width of every single road. What they DO get is information in respect of LOW bridges the threshold (I think) is set is 3m. So if you input a vehicle height of LESS than that threshold it will route you that way, if you input a height OVER that threshold it won’t. 

Yes I do know that sat navs usually ask you for the actual dimensions of your vehicle, but the software  ONLY looks to see if what you input is above or below a certain predetermined (by them) parameter. 

Sat-navs are very sophisticated items , but ONLY as a useful guide, the problems occur when people blindly accept what they are told rather than using their eyeballs (AND of course, common sense) 

Yes I have one (the make doesn’t matter) and yes it is a “Camper” version, and no I don’t rely on it 100% and fairly often will ignore the “Turn left/right” instruction because I don’t like the look of the road I am being directed onto. I tend to use them for getting from A to Close to B, at which point I tend to use local signposts to campsites (because someone has taken the trouble to signpost a route that won’t cause problems to caravans etc) 

As an aside there are very few bridges that have less than 3m clearance under them, they certainly DO exist, but much more so on the continent than in the U.K. 

Andy

Several where I live but this is the best for bridge hits https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/ely-railway-bridge-van-police-16549420 and apparentlt a luton bodied transit failed to get under it last week