Just remembered - drain down tap.....

Advice and help please.  Just remembered we forgot to open the drain down tap (the one in the floor) - all other taps open, including shower and outside waste flaps.  No forecast for frost in next couple of days....storage not right next to home, back to work tomorrow....will it be okay until we can get there, probably Wednesday or Thursday?  Obviously we did forget something else - so this has been added to list for future!!

• Like 4

I would do it as soon as possible. I do not know where you are, but in Glasgow we have had several nights at minus figures and the damage might already be done here.  Leaving it is adding more risk so I would get out and do it if possible. The cost can be considerable if not done.

Thanks Wildwood.  In Durham....had frost when we were down in York during week but back to the rain at home.  Hopefully can finish work early and get there.

Bavnelly, I had the same thought yesterday, so I’ve been to storage this morning.

Turns out SWMBO had opened the yellow tap, so the hot tank had drained on the last journey. However, when I then connected my hand pump to the water inlet I got a good mug-full of water out, which come the next frost may well have frozen in the pipes.

Now I’m left with the annual dilemma … to leave the drain tap open (to ensure all remaining drops are gone and there’s room for any trapped water to expand during freezing) or to shut the tap (so that cold winter winds don’t blow in and to keep out creepy crawlies).

BTW, I always cover the grey water drainage outlets after hearing that someone had a mouse crawl in and die in the pipe! And don’t forget to drain the toilet water flush as well.

So yes, I get out there and ‘winterise’ your van, asap.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Thanks all.  Decided not to take the risk and just back from site....water drained.  Thanks for advice John on covering water drainage outlets....a job to add to list.  We got a Floe pump....I think that’s what it’s called, so will do that at weekend hopefully.  We will then also need to decide whether to leave it open...are, however, hoping to take Unicorn out at end of December.

• Like 1

No frost no problem in fact you need quite a hard frost to freeze anything left in inside pipes. A few hours at 0 deg C overnight won't do any harm I can vouch for that as mine has been on the drive not drained down many times with that temperature. I always work on the basis that if there's ice on the road you need to have drained down. You really do not need a special drain down kit opening all taps works just fine.

Edited by David55

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Open ALL taps AND leave them open until you next use the van

I do this as I leave site on all trips so I don't do anything else when put away for winter.

• I agree completely 1

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

Thanks all.

David.....I think being new to this, we've watched that many YouTubes......that it seemed to be highly recommended - maybe by the people who sell them :D