Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang1983

Awning Storm Roof Straps

Hi on my awning on both sides I have storm straps. We have very strong winds come through where I am located in Richmond, NZ.

I have a roof storm strap as well but do I need it on?

This is the awning I have in the image below the awning is more even now then in image

Thanks all

72121484_2518572065091128_7550054148427743232_o.jpg

1 hour ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Hi on my awning on both sides I have storm straps. We have very strong winds come through where I am located in Richmond, NZ.

I have a roof storm strap as well but do I need it on?

This is the awning I have in the image below the awning is more even now then in image

Thanks all

72121484_2518572065091128_7550054148427743232_o.jpg

Its really down to how comfortable you feel about it.

Under normal circumstances, the side straps should be sufficient, but if heavy winds come (whatever “heavy” means), and you would feel more comfortable then a roof strap would do no harm, but I would suggest that you use protective covers for the strap where it crosses the roof poles to prevent chaffing to the canvas.

• Like 2

Are you facing the wind or are you sheltered a bit?  If you were sure that you would be okay, you wouldn't have asked the question and as we don't know the wind force where you are, I would say put your extra storm straps on . The other option is to look around the site and see what the other's are doing with their awnings and if you're still not sure take it down. 

I've always fitted storm straps internally: that is, over the frame inside the fabric. My Isabela Magnum comes with straps that are fitted accordin to THIS video from Isabella . It avoids the risk of damage from chaffing to the roof fabric. On a previous, full awning, I made up a strap which went, internally,  over all three roof poles and was pegged inside. If you are expecting serious wind then make sure your awning pegs are secure: double pegged if necessary.

I use storm straps which clip onto the awning corners and also extra guy ropes on the poles, on the inside corner pole I also put on a storm prop. The lower awning sides also have attachments for guy ropes, which stood up well in 60mph winds coming off the river severn estuary

12011790906_47eeb7d6dd.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

really down to how comfortable you feel about it.

Under normal circumstances, the side straps should be sufficient, but if heavy winds come (whatever “heavy” means), and you would feel more comfortable a roof strap would do no harm, but I would suggest that you use protective covers for the strap where it crosses the roof poles to prevent to the canvas.

I beg to differ, a roof strap can do untold fretting damage to the fabric and or its surfacing treatment, thus do "harm".

The safer option is to strap the frame back down to the ground, typically internally and particularly the front centre  rafter,

I do this with my very heavy duty guy-lines, on an as needed basis, but Isabella do a proper "strap" version; the latter discussed here;

I always fit ours as "you'll never know what will blow up  overnight"

I agree- from bitter experience-we got up at 2am to take our awning down once as the wind blew up into a gale-freezing in your pjs and not fun-if in doubt take it down or strap it down everywhere with everything you have! Belt and braces me!