Pesh

Water pump not working - Avondale Mayfly 96

Hoping someone can offer some advice, as we’re a bit stuck. Our water pump is not pulling up water, but the pump light is on inside the caravan and the connection to the water is good on the outside.

It started earlier today when it kept pumping but there was no water being drawn and the heater tank was full, and has now stopped pulling water entirely.

Currently we have no water flow. We’ve bypassed the pressure switch so we know it’s not a micro switch problem. The power circuit is fine as the pump light comes on and the external connections are giving a reading. I disconnected everything from the filter so it just a pipe, but nothing gets pumped up. I’ve tried a brand new submersible pump, but that still doesn’t bring up any water. I’m running out of things I know to check...

Did the replacement submersible pump actually run? That is to say, could you hear the motor running. If so then it can only be a blockage in the pipework or two failed pumps if there is full voltage at the external connection point to the caravan. The pumps may both be electrically faulty, or the impellers disconnected from the motor shafts. If you suspect the caravan pipework, look for a flattened feed pipe, and check that the non-return valve in the caravan has not failed closed.

• Thanks 1

I’m getting a 12V reading on the external connection pins, but it was a brand new one. It is indeed possible I received a faulty one when ordering though. The pump didn’t run at all when connected though. I guess I should try connecting the pump straight to the battery also.

If the external pins are corroded they can prevent the pump running. On our old caravan I frequently had to clean the brass pins/sockets with a file back to bare metal. Do it with the pump switched off so a fuse is not blown. A 9 volt PP9 battery can be used to test a pump, it will go slowly but works as a quick test.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Thanks 1

I think your right though Paul, just noticed the underside of the connections are black. I’ll try filing them down and feed back soon.

Edited by Pesh

Well it’s not a corroded connection. Just been out and filed back to shiny copper, but still no connection.

Can anybody think of anything else?

You may have 2 faults by now. Perhaps your first problem was silt, debris or filter granules blocking the pipe or kitchen tap sprinkler preventing flow. Running the pump continuously with no flow while investigating has maybe blown the pump fuse.

• Confused 1

I don’t think that’s right. The pump was never running while trying to investigate an issue. The pump just suddenly stopped working, so definitely not a blocked pipe. I don’t remember saying anything about investigating with it running either, only that the pump died entirely and had never powered on since.

I’m continuing down the fuse route currently. Should know more later.

On 23/11/2019 at 00:01, Pesh said:

It started earlier today when it kept pumping but there was no water being drawn and the heater tank was full, and has now stopped pulling water entirely.

20 hours ago, Pesh said:

Well it’s not a corroded connection. Just been out and filed back to shiny copper, but still no connection.

Can anybody think of anything else?

Sorry, I read post 1 as the pump running but no water flow and post 2 as no power to the pump. That was the basis of my conclusion.

I wish! That would be easier to fix! Unfortunately I cannot get the pump to run at all on either my existing or new pump.

Just changed the fuses, no luck.

1 hour ago, Pesh said:

I wish! That would be easier to fix! Unfortunately I cannot get the pump to run at all on either my existing or new pump.

Just changed the fuses, no luck.

Good new info. That has narrowed it down considerably. You now know it is not the pump. using a multimeter, follow the circuit from the pump connector in the side of the caravan back towards the 12V power source, and you will not get very far before you find the fault. If you do not know how to do this, speak up promptly and we will help more.  I assume you have a multimeter or can borrow one  (many people have one). I'm off to bed now, but I'm sure others will follow. 

Edited by Ern
  • Thanks 1

I bought one recently, for diagnosing this issue. That’s now I know I have 12V on the connection luckily :D

Ive tested back to the pressure switch also and gotten 12V there too.  The toilet and red indicator light are also working, so beyond looks to be fine.

1E9B853E-A8EC-48F0-9060-A851C7BBB93C.png

So, testing with the multimeter for current, I have ensure the BK/OR cable between the pressure switch and pump is fine, and the pressure switch carries a current fine also. I’m not sure how to test from the OR out to the switch, as the pressure switch is under the bench half way along the caravan, and the pump switch is at the back in a unit... Same for the WH/OR from the extractor fan to the pump. Extractor fan is next to the pump switch. The light turned on always, so the circuit seems complete still...

86016F76-F273-4557-8B68-3F07CDA3A73D.jpeg

As your problem has not been solved after so long (the fault is normally obvious after a few minutes of probing on such a simple circuit, and then accurate diagnosis and repair another few mins. I suggest we start again with simple test (sorry I will assume you know nothing).

1. Find out whether the pump you will use for test actually works by connecting  2 short bits of cable direct to a 12v battery and direct to the pump terminals - does it rotate and make a whirring noise (sorry we have to do this).  If it doesn't then try another 12v battery.  If it still doesn't, get another one. When you have a positive result, try it in water and see water pumping. Reply here. I will be on and off the forum this evening and on for half an hour in the morning.

Sorry it is so profoundly basic. Its probably the fastest way to sort it.

Luckily, that’s something I’ve already done. The motors are both working fine, and I could’ve saved myself £20 by testing before buying another. 

58 minutes ago, Pesh said:

Luckily, that’s something I’ve already done. The motors are both working fine, and I could’ve saved myself £20 by testing before buying another. 

2.  Plug the water pump into the caravan inlet. Connect a reliable 12V, +, and -  to the terminal inside the caravan at the back of the pump inlet and decide if the pump is running or not. Assuming pump is working, you can now reliably follow the circuit up stream towards the normal power supply at fuse box. assuming this is good, you are very close, so persevere. (Don't worry about switch or water pressure yet).

I'll be back on in about an hour.

Edited by Ern

24 minutes ago, Ern said:

you can now reliably follow the circuit up stream towards the normal power supply at fuse box.

This is the problem, I can’t easily follow it back up. The wiring from pump to switch to pressure switch stretched the fill length of the caravan and I can’t see where to follow it a sits all wrapped in brown tape...

3. With everything in the caravan pump switches on so that you would normally expect the water pump to run:

a. Connect a length of decent cable (to reach  length of caravan) to the - (neutral) on the "Water Pump" fuse. You can wander around the further check points at your leisure, with the other end -  Test cable. 

b. Temporarily bridge from it to the fuse live with MM (multimeter) to see its 12V + or -.

c. With MM removed, go straight to the pressure switch and try it on each in turn of the terminals If one makes the pump run you have located the defect. Examination of the switch and connections should reveal the fault cause.

d. Repeat (b) at the pump isolator switch (likely to be on the panel but I don't know your caravan).

It is very unlikely that you don't find what you are looking for already.

Let me know.

((for observers we  are doing it this way (rather unconventional) because

we don't know the real colours of your cables

they are not visible, and the circuit diagram may be wrong

the caravan may not be as produced

its really simple)).

Edited by Ern