Sign in to follow this  
V8Vmarkie

Serviced pitch

If I'm going to leave the van unattended then I switch off the master switch on the way out and switch it on again on the way in on my return.

Cheers,

Tanker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanker said:

If I'm going to leave the van unattended then I switch off the master switch on the way out and switch it on again on the way in on my return.

Cheers,

Tanker.

Surely that switches off the fridge and also the heating unless they are run on gas but then that works our expensive?

1 hour ago, Tanker said:

Cheers,

Tanker.

That is a good practice.

We always turn off the tap switch on the panel  above the door and then on again on return.

We did use a direct feed pipe  (supplied by the CL site owner) due to our float system not work due to air bubbles formed on the pump as the water supply was pumped from his bore hole, on this occassion  we turned the tap off before we left the van, then back on when we returned, having seen  one fail and soaked the inside of the van we did not want this to happen to us.

Whether you choose a direct connection or via a float in an aquaroll; my best tip is to take a tap splitter.  That way if you want water for anything else, it is easy peasey.

nanamel

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Nanamel said:

Whether you choose a direct connection or via a float in an aquaroll; my best tip is to take a tap splitter.  That way if you want water for anything else, it is easy peasey.

nanamel

Its a good tip, and some of do as a matter of coarse because it is fairly common on continental sites to have a tap and drain shared between two pitches. We stayed at a nice CL recently and the water supply on the pitch had a threaded connection with on/off lever and separate tap over the drain , ideal. 

22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Surely that switches off the fridge and also the heating unless they are run on gas but then that works our expensive?

The fridge runs off the mains and why heat an empty van?

Cheers,

Tanker.

23 hours ago, kiaboy said:

That is a good practice.

We always turn off the tap switch on the panel  above the door and then on again on return.

We did use a direct feed pipe  (supplied by the CL site owner) due to our float system not work due to air bubbles formed on the pump as the water supply was pumped from his bore hole, on this occassion  we turned the tap off before we left the van, then back on when we returned, having seen  one fail and soaked the inside of the van we did not want this to happen to us.

When you "saw the one fail and soak the inside of the 'van", what did you see?

We had two failures like that on our last caravan, the first when we were using a Truma pressure control device and the second using the Aquaroll and no mains hook up. It was the same connector under the washroom basin both times. It turned out to be a duff connector, and was one of a batch. Swift knew all about it! There was nothing wrong with the Truma device which I initially condemned. I carried on using it for 4 years after that (months every winter in Spain). 

2 hours ago, Tanker said:

The fridge runs off the mains and why heat an empty van?

Cheers,

Tanker.

However if you switch off the mains, no working fridge.  Why would you want to come back to a freezing caravan when all you have to do is turn down the heating while you are out?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

However if you switch off the mains, no working fridge.  Why would you want to come back to a freezing caravan when all you have to do is turn down the heating while you are out?

I am not sure that anybody suggested ‘switching off’ the 230v supply.  The ‘switching off’ related only to the 12v master switch to prevent the water pump running in the event of an onboard leak developing.   

I’d have thought most caravans would have a water pump switch so that the master switch can be left on.

Being winter caravanners though, I agree on leaving the heating on but turned down a little.   

• I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Ern said:

When you "saw the one fail and soak the inside of the 'van", what did you see?

I may have used the wrong term of seen one fail, I probably should have said Seen the outcome of the failure.  

On 23/11/2019 at 09:35, SamD said:

Interesting - just read the pdf and it makes no mention of that.

I've read the Truma pdf and you're right. ISTR that the information came from the printed letter that accompanied the Mid Service Centre switch although that and all other caravan paperwork has gone with the caravan. I do remember simulating a leak by removing the shower head and laying the hose in the shower tray.  The pump cut out after 30 seconds of running; when summoned to check out the phenomenon Mrs H wasn't nearly as impressed as I was. Maybe it was just sensing low pressure as if the water had run out. Sorry if I've misled anyone. :blush:

5 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

I've read the Truma pdf and you're right. ISTR that the information came from the printed letter that accompanied the Mid Service Centre switch although that and all other caravan paperwork has gone with the caravan. I do remember simulating a leak by removing the shower head and laying the hose in the shower tray.  The pump cut out after 30 seconds of running; when summoned to check out the phenomenon Mrs H wasn't nearly as impressed as I was. Maybe it was just sensing low pressure as if the water had run out. Sorry if I've misled anyone. :blush:

Good of you to report back - thanks.

Thank you for all the replies. I did indeed order a valve for the aqua roll, this will be my preferred option, and as has been mentioned at least if there is a problem with the water supply we can still fill the kettle B):D

On 24/11/2019 at 14:40, kiaboy said:

I may have used the wrong term of seen one fail, I probably should have said Seen the outcome of the failure.  

Sorry to persist kiaboy. I am not trying to be pedantic but, do you mean you saw the water and a plumbing failure in the caravan? I have seen that twice on my own caravan, but neither was caused by a failure of the Truma pressure control valve. They were both caused by and acknowledged by Swift and/or its supplier of standard parts.

27 minutes ago, V8Vmarkie said:

Thank you for all the replies. I did indeed order a valve for the aqua roll, this will be my preferred option, and as has been mentioned at least if there is a problem with the water supply we can still fill the kettle B):D

If you don't notice, the first you'll be aware is when the aquaroll runs dry.

10 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

If you don't notice, the first you'll be aware is when the aquaroll runs dry.

:lol: I always miss the obvious :P

54 minutes ago, Ern said:

Sorry to persist kiaboy. I am not trying to be pedantic but, do you mean you saw the water and a plumbing failure in the caravan? I have seen that twice on my own caravan, but neither was caused by a failure of the Truma pressure control valve. They were both caused by and acknowledged by Swift and/or its supplier of standard parts.

I was "told by the owner" that the valve had failed, pushing the pushfit connection off the pipe inside the van flooding the van, which I saw when talking to them, I did not actually see the valve fail, only the mess it had made in the van. HTH's

2 hours ago, kiaboy said:

I was "told by the owner" that the valve had failed, pushing the pushfit connection off the pipe inside the van flooding the van, which I saw when talking to them, I did not actually see the valve fail, only the mess it had made in the van. HTH's

The first of my two failures was similar and I too blamed the Truma pressure control valve, assuming that the valve had probably failed in the open position and allowed site mains pressure into the caravan. The failed original Swift supplied connector was examined and nothing visible was wrong with it or the insertion lengths. A few weeks later the second failure occurred and this when I wasn't using mains water at all, so the pressure in the caravan was no more than the inboard pump. The dealer contacted Swift and I also contacted the technical Director at Swift who acknowledged the problem and sent me a bag of spare fittings. I also contacted Truma and was advise they cant fail open - only closed. I  decided to open it up and check what I had been told and see why it  had failed. Nothing appeared wrong with it. Tested it with a gauge in the garden, still nothing. The replacement Swift fitting lasted the following 6 years until the caravan was sold. We continued to use the Truma thing every winter in Spain for 3-4 months at a go.