Sign in to follow this  
Timanita

FINALLY???????????????

Hi all,

we have a 2016 Crusader Storm, love the van, it’s just completed its third service.

first year, water/damp ingress around both wheel arches........repairs completed under warranty without any problems.

second year, water/damp ingress around the near side front window......repairs completed under warranty without any problems

This year.......ALL CLEAR....no damp no other problems with the van (other than tyres starting to crack on the side walls) maybe just maybe the damp won’t return...fingers crossed...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well if the leak was repaired correctly there is no reason whatsoever to think it will reoccur! 

Goes to show the value of an annual damp check though doesn’t it!

It is fairly common for tyres to get “spiders web” crazing on the sidewalls (I am referring to very thin surface crazing and NOT a crack where the plays are exposed ) No mention is made in the test manual of surface crazing ONLY cuts etc where the ply structure is exposed. See here under “Condition and fitment”

It’s not anything to worry about, but what you DO need to be aware of is cracking at the bottom of the tread grooves that IS  a sign that the tyres need replacing. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It is fairly common for tyres to get “spiders web” crazing on the sidewalls (I am referring to very thin surface crazing and NOT a crack where the plays are exposed ) ...

Andy

Thank goodness there's someone else out there who knows the difference between surface crazing and structural cracks. Some time ago I felt I had to change MoT garages because of the hysteria they generated over this phenomenon. Michelin tyres 4 years old, tread 4mm but got an advisory on tyre damage. "Next year will be a fail - shall I order some tyres for you?"

The following year the different MoT tester didn't think the crazing even worth an advisory.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

I had a “ discussion “ with the garage after the cars recent service and MOT - they were telling me to keep an eye on the two front tyres as one had a depth measurement of around 6 and the other 4.2.  The “ keeping “ an eye on it was fine, but then I was told that the discrepancy between the two could cause problems with steering and other major components due to the fact the car would be unbalanced.

i am not a technical person at all but thought they were stretching things a bit!! 

What the garage does not know is the history of the tyres. The 6mm tyre could be a new one after non-repairable damage or it could have been a new spare fitted after a puncture - although after puncture repair the wheel should really have been put back on and not consigned to spare. They are right that such a difference <could> cause handling issues in some circumstances especially if you hit a pool of water and aquaplane. Moreso when the tyres get more worn you will be close to the limit at 2mm on one and nearly twice that (only half worn as a tyre starts off at 7 or 8mm) on the other tyre.

1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

I was told that the discrepancy between the two could cause problems with steering and other major components due to the fact the car would be unbalanced.

i am not a technical person at all but thought they were stretching things a bit!! 

If you're car was registered in France or Sweden having a mix of tyre tread depths on the same axle wouldn't be acceptable.

I learn something everyday 😀

8 hours ago, hawkaye said:

..... Michelin tyres 4 years old, tread 4mm but got an advisory on tyre damage. "Next year will be a fail - shall I order some tyres for you?"....

I've suffered the next worse step, a fail because "the brake pads won't make it another 12 months" . In the latest MOT regs there is a limit of 1.5mm on brake pad thickness, below this threshold it is a "do not drive failure". I had this on my wife's car but it was a matter of 'opinion' by the tester.

The reality is that it is almost impossible to measure the brake pad thickness to a 0.5mm accuracy in the course of an MOT test. A failure was issued with the comment "they wont make it another 12 months". The reality was that when measured the minimum pad thickness was 3.2mm on any of the 4 pads. This was a blatant error by the tester, when I picked the car up they were most surprised that I did not immediately ask them to replace the pads; I can only presume they were trying to create work for themselves. 

As I have a part time job at a motor factors I was able to obtain new pads and presented the car for retest within 24 hours, which it  passed. This was blatant job creation by the garage, an MOT test is all about condition of the car "at the time of test", failure on what 'may' happen in the future is just wrong. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jetA1 said:

. A failure was issued with the comment "they wont make it another 12 months". The reality was that when measured the minimum pad thickness was 3.2mm on any of the 4 pads.

Sorry not understanding that. 

Surely a fail is a fail and you might well be illegal to drive away.

You can get a pass with comments like your got.

See if your local council offers an MoT testing service.  Councils do not offer a repair service and thus their interest in your vehicle is limited to 'Pass' or 'Fail'.

If it fails, you'll know it hasn’t met the required standard rather than failed simply to create unnecessary work.

• I agree completely 2

9 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The point is that the tester issued a fail certificate when he should not have done so!!

The point here is that at the time of the test the vehicle was safe and the brake pads were fine. The MOT tester formed the “opinion” that they would not last a further 12 months, The tester should NOT, under those circumstances, have issued a “fail” but passed the vehicle with an “advisory” about the brake pads being worn “close to the limit” to alert the owner that they would require renewal before the next test. 

The MOT test relates to the vehicle AT THE TIME OF THE TEST only, if a tyre is right on the limit of tread depth the tester must still issue a pass but CAN issue an advisory. 

Clearly the garage were trying to drum up some work. I bet they would have found “something else” when changing the pads as well in order to extract a few more quid from the customer. 

The MOT test is, sadly, wide open to possible abuse by unscrupulous testers, mainly because most people have no idea about a vehicles mechanicals. 

Andy

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

See if your local council offers an MoT testing service.  Councils do not offer a repair service and thus their interest in your vehicle is limited to 'Pass' or 'Fail'.

If it fails, you'll know it hasn’t met the required standard rather than failed simply to create unnecessary work.

Northern Ireland the testing stations are Government run.

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I think I read that there too few test centres in N.I.  to meet demand and booking a long way in advance is necessary to be certain of staying legal.

On 22/11/2019 at 09:23, David 38 said:

And when civil servants/MOT testers go on strike, or work to rule, as I think they did earler this year, mayhem ensues!!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2019 at 08:12, David 38 said:

In the very worst event if it had been put to the test a vehicle examiner would have got involved and would have found that the pads on the car were completely legal. I was stitched up.