Sign in to follow this  
Duffy

Ford kuga 180ps semi automatic power shift 2019 awd diesel

Hi 

As anyone towed with a semi automatic gearbox I think these are also called power shift ford kuga titanium -edition 2.0litre 180ps awd if so what are they like to tow with are there any issues. I have always had manual gearbox for towing I had test drive in one of these semi automatic but solo not towing. It drove ok .

Anyone first hand experience towing with this model.

Many thanks in advance for an information.

Duffy

Not got a Kuga but an S-max 180ps with the PowerShift gearbox. This is now my 3rd S-max (a 150ps and two 180) with the PowerShift box and it is smooth and accurate in gear changes, in fact when cruising with 1550kg van on the back if it does change gear (say on uphill inclines) it's really only the change in engine revs that indicates that its  changed down or up.

I dont have any problems pulling away or slowing down - never noticed any fluffed changes and if I want to use engine braking, then the flappy paddles make it a doddle. I dont tend to use it in manual mode.

The gearbox characteristic does change when the van is plugged in - it tends to hold gears a little longer than when driving solo.

I'm more than happy with the way it performs

Ford call most of their Auto's Powershift but there's quite a few different technologies available.

Semi-automatic isn't really the correct term as they are all fully automatic gearboxes.

The Kuga you mention has a 6 speed dual clutch automatic gearbox that uses wet clutches meaning the clutches are lubricated.

Typically wet clutch dual clutch transmissions are OK for towing as they do allow a fair amount of slip,

However, the Ford box has had lots of issues and has caused problems around the world for Ford including class action lawsuits in the US. 

Saying that the later boxes have been much more reliable as most of the issues have been sorted.

Too late for Ford though. They have pulled development on this gearbox and they are moving back to conventional torque converter automatics.

Edited by logiclee

We have one it is a good tow car.

Worth looking at the Kuga Owners Forum  There are issues with older Powershift boxes, especially if the oil and filter haven't been changed at recommended mileages... The design changed in the last few years, removing plastic components and replacing them with metal...