Fortyfoot

Volvo Select Warranty

I have just got a 2014 XC60 with 60,000 mile with a 6 months Volvo Select warranty.  Is it worth buying an extra 6 months for £200?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot 

That is an impossible question for anyone, other than you, to answer!

If you don’t take it out, and you get a problem after 9 months you will be really cross. If you DO take it out and get no problems you will be equally cross. 

If the peace of mind is worth £200 to you then go for it. 

60K mikes isn’t a lot these days.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a choice and decision that only YOU can make.

• Thanks 1

We have had our V70 for 7 years having bought it as a 3 year old Volvo Select car. Paid a wee bit over the odds at the time but have not regretted that. I would say the extra warranty is not really necessary because most of the risks of buying a used car have been removed. The service history will be complete and everything will be up to date. The car is pretty bullet proof.  

Modern cars are very reliable and the difference between best and worst models is relatively low - but modern cars are complex and fault repair costs running into £1,000s can be common.

One way is to put the money equivalent to warranty cost aside and use that pot to pay for any repairs - but - you need enough funds somewhere else to cover a big repair bill on day one.

I don't know what the best answer is - I have to face the same dilemma when my 5-year factory warranty expires.

Forty foot, I’ve had 3 Cars through Volvo Selekt, and they all had a 12 month warranty on them … and this appears to be currently the case according to https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/vehicle-search.

I agree with Ern’s comments, and I don’t think I’d go for the extra cover.

John

PS, Volvo insist on calling it Selekt, with a K  🙂

Edited by Johnaldo

Sorry, just read further down my own link, and see that cars over 5 years only get 6 months cover.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

As already mentioned, you have to decide what gives you best peace of mind and value for money, however:-

If the car had been advertised £200 dearer would you have considered it?

Select warranty includes a very good rescue/recovery/get you home package - is that of any value to you?

The  car is already 5 years old so I take it that the dealer has sold it with the remainder of a 12 month Select Warranty and is offering to extend for £200.

Eligibilty for Volvo Select requires main dealer Volvo servicing schedules to be met - a further commitment.

What do you intend to do in years 6 onwards?

10 hours ago, Fortyfoot said:

I have just got a 2014 XC60 with 60,000 mile with a 6 months Volvo Select warranty.  Is it worth buying an extra 6 months for £200?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot 

If you service it at a Volvo dealer you get the breakdown for the next year included(european as well) but your eyes will water at the prices.:blink: I think they value this at around £120 so this bumps the service price up.

As your car is pre 2015 and not the new engine spec,  you may have a very high service costs in year 6 (£1000 ) which will be shortly.   You can check on the Volvo website what the estimated service cost would be at a main dealer(if you haven't got a good independent nearby)

The full year extra warranty for mine was around £360. I didn't bother in the end.

Edit. I just saw the other post where you say its a D5. 

Edited by Benny65

l always read the small print on what these vehicle insurances cover and what they actually cover and what they class as wear and tear . As said if the vehicle has been serviced and the service schedule followed then the vehicle should be reliable .

Insurance is a Gamble and usually only one winner ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks for the replies, the six months runs out at the start of the caravaning season for me, so I have considered the extra 6 months could be handy if any "towing" issues cropped up during the summer months.

In six years time I expect my van will be on a seasonal site which I have looked at which has a bus stop at the gate, only an hours drive away from home!  It's just over two hours on the bus.

My partner's son runs a local repair garage and has has had numerous volvos over the years, so we will use him for servicing, we have  Autoaid ( https://autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ ) which I have use a few times and they are ok for me.

Thanks again,

Fortyfoot

I have an extended VW Warranty on the Passat, it came with 2 years which expired at the end of October - the warranty is up to the same spec as approved used and cost £350 for 12 months which is either a) a lot of money if nothing goes wrong or b) 3 hours of main dealer labour cost before you start considering any parts and incredible VFM.

I would consider waiting for 6 months then buying a guarantee, eg car care plan.  You may find your £200 will go a lot further and you would not be tied to Volvo servicing prices.

John

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

I have an extended VW Warranty on the Passat, it came with 2 years which expired at the end of October - the warranty is up to the same spec as approved used and cost £350 for 12 months which is either a) a lot of money if nothing goes wrong or b) 3 hours of main dealer labour cost before you start considering any parts and incredible VFM.

What do you plan to do when the extended warranty expires?

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

What do you plan to do when the extended warranty expires?

Extend it again. I can do it up to 100k and it’s about to tick over 60k, the Passat will stay for another 18 months and I can either pay annually (as I did this time) or monthly (as I will next time) 

22 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Extend it again. I can do it up to 100k and it’s about to tick over 60k, the Passat will stay for another 18 months and I can either pay annually (as I did this time) or monthly (as I will next time) 

£350 is a good price - my Touareg would be £730 for named component or £1,267 for all components !!!

Yes mine is all components - to be fair I looked on line and the figure quoted was about £560 so I was going to give it a miss but got an email a few weeks before the warranty expired and it was much cheaper - snapped their hand off!

But then I have a VAG product that is 15 years old and apart from consumables and servicing has only needed a new alternator, a turbo pipe reattached and perished rear shock covers replaced so perhaps I’ve wasted £350!

Some of those prices seem excessive to me.  For my car, 5 year plus and 60,000 plus is about £203, not sure if that includes my 10% discount.

Car care plan via Boundless.  Policy here

Not sure how that cover compares.  

Years ago I had a car covered by a Boundless and had a new turbo and injectors without argument.

John