Good afternoon:D

I write in this forum for the first time.

First, sorry for my English, it's not too good.:unsure:
I comment my circumstance. In April of this year I bought, in Spain, a caravan of English origin, a Piper 1400L. But I have a problem, it does not have any documentation, it only has the trailer plate and a number (PFS507Y349832) engraved on all windows. I don't know what year of the caravan  I don´t have the technical characteristics of it. For this reason I would like to know if someone can help me to get information as well as a possible type-approval password to get documentation.

Thank you very much and I attached a catalog of the 80s that I found and that has the model of my caravan.

thank you:Thankyou:

A photo would help to give a rough age to the van. If I  remember correctly the 1400 was a 1980s 14 foot van.

You need to be aware that many older UK vans had very little by way of documentation because we do not require Caravans to have their own registration, and type approval is fairly new over here.

We had a Piper as our first caravan and I am afraid there was very little then in the way of paper work. The numbering at that time was the manufacturers own and there was no standard to refer to. To help identify the year, can you say if it has glass or plastic windows, a manual or electric water pump, a battery box and if it has gas lighting as well as electric, Even then an approximate year is probably all that can be achieved.

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

A photo would help to give a rough age to the van. If I  remember correctly the 1400 was a 1980s 14 foot van.

You need to be aware that many older UK vans had very little by way of documentation because we do not require Caravans to have their own registration, and type approval is fairly new over here.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

We had a Piper as our first caravan and I am afraid there was very little then in the way of paper work. The numbering at that time was the manufacturers own and there was no standard to refer to. To help identify the year, can you say if it has glass or plastic windows, a manual or electric water pump, a battery box and if it has gas lighting as well as electric, Even then an approximate year is probably all that can be achieved.

First, thank you very much for your response. Its previous owner told us that indeed in the United Kingdom there is not a very demanding regulation and even less for old caravans, how lucky you are! He has traveled Europe and has had no problem.
I answer the questions posed by:
-Plastic windows
-Manual water pump
-Lights (12V)
-Gas stove
-battery box did not have, but they removed many things, but since the lights work at 12V we assume that it should be taken at its origin.

IMG_20190518_131843.jpg

another photos

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-19 at 18.09.37.jpeg

IMG_20190421_152326.jpg

It very much looks like an early 1980s van that has suffered from some unconventional DIY. I do not fancy your chances of getting hold of any formal documentation! Most likely all that ever existed would have been an owner's handbook, no certificate of conformity or type approval.

4 hours ago, piper1400l said:

Good afternoon:D

I write in this forum for the first time.

First, sorry for my English, it's not too good.:unsure:
I comment my circumstance. In April of this year I bought, in Spain, a caravan of English origin, a Piper 1400L. But I have a problem, it does not have any documentation, it only has the trailer plate and a number (PFS507Y349832) engraved on all windows. I don't know what year of the caravan  I don´t have the technical characteristics of it. For this reason I would like to know if someone can help me to get information as well as a possible type-approval password to get documentation.

Thank you very much and I attached a catalog of the 80s that I found and that has the model of my caravan.

thank you:Thankyou:

As others have said, there was no regulation of caravans when these were made. I remember well piper caravans were sold up until about 1975 I think. They were very light weight and simple design with very little equipment fitted. I think they were made by Abbey and were adopted by the Abbey owners Club which was named Abbey and Piper Club. Abbey later became part of Swift. Here is an address for the Abbey and Piper Club. You may get some information there. www.abbey-caravan-club.co.uk  Best of luck.

Edited by Ern

14 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It very much looks like an early 1980s van that has suffered from some unconventional DIY. I do not fancy your chances of getting hold of any formal documentation! Most likely all that ever existed would have been an owner's handbook, no certificate of conformity or type approval.

It has undergone many modifications of homemade DIY, but finally it seems pretty and economical that for me it was the most important. I also think like you, obtaining legal documentation will be difficult, but I will speak with Spanish companies.
Thank you

IMG_20190915_211818.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ern said:

As others have said, there was no regulation of caravans when these were made. I remember well piper caravans were sold up until about 1975 I think. They were very light weight and simple design with very little equipment fitted. I think they were made by Abbey and were adopted by the Abbey owners Club which was named Abbey and Piper Club. Abbey later became part of Swift. Here is an address for the Abbey and Piper Club. You may get some information there. www.abbey-caravan-club.co.uk  Best of luck.

Thank you very much, I will ask on that page in case anyone knows some information, because with the amount of companies that have been disappearing it is really complicated, in addition to the antiquity of the caravan.

Thanks!:Thankyou:

22 minutes ago, piper1400l said:

First, thank you very much for your response. Its previous owner told us that indeed in the United Kingdom there is not a very demanding regulation and even less for old caravans, how lucky you are! He has traveled Europe and has had no problem.
I answer the questions posed by:
-Plastic windows
-Manual water pump
-Lights (12V)
-Gas stove
-battery box did not have, but they removed many things, but since the lights work at 12V we assume that it should be taken at its origin.

IMG_20190518_131843.jpg

another photos

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-19 at 18.09.37.jpeg

IMG_20190421_152326.jpg

I had a bigger version of similar era, a twin end dinette.  Single glazed plastic windows, foot pump for the water.  Ours had no fridge or heating, but did have an oven.  I remember that the "bathroom" was very small and I removed a fixed wash basin so that it was possible to use a portapotti.  Ours had a gas locker of sorts at the front which is missing on yours.  There was gas lighting originally which I stripped out and fitted 12v electric along with mains and a transformer. 

I remember that I had no documentation whatsoever from the first owner.

There is a simple solution to your problem of obtaining Spanish registration documents, which is likely to be impossible.

Buy a car in Spain with UK number plates.

Wile in Spain we spent a while talking to two people from the local TUV centre. They dealt with all types of vehicles including trailers/caravans. They had tested caravans and certified them for first registration. I didn't ask anything more technical as I had no further need to. I wonder has Piper 1400L approached the people at the nearest TUV centre to ask for advice on what is possible? A personal approach in the home language would be much more practical than any thing else.

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

There is a simple solution to your problem of obtaining Spanish registration documents, which is likely to be impossible.

If you are resident in Spain you can't drive a car registered outside Spain.

16 hours ago, rovinmad said:

I had a bigger version of similar era, a twin end dinette.  Single glazed plastic windows, foot pump for the water.  Ours had no fridge or heating, but did have an oven.  I remember that the "bathroom" was very small and I removed a fixed wash basin so that it was possible to use a portapotti.  Ours had a gas locker of sorts at the front which is missing on yours.  There was gas lighting originally which I stripped out and fitted 12v electric along with mains and a transformer. 

I remember that I had no documentation whatsoever from the first owner.

The bathroom is very small, it still retains the fixed sink with the installation and without a tap, I think it is the only part that they have not touched in the caravan. The front chest was also not, is where the gas cylinder was going. I think this caravan is a survivor :D. However, the water does not enter, it has no humidity, besides being well insulated. I have to change the skylight because the lid is broken and although it is repaired I dare not take it out.

16 hours ago, WispMan said:

In Spain we can not circulate with an English plate, it is a good solution but you can not.

14 hours ago, Ern said:

Wile in Spain we spent a while talking to two people from the local TUV centre. They dealt with all types of vehicles including trailers/caravans. They had tested caravans and certified them for first registration. I didn't ask anything more technical as I had no further need to. I wonder has Piper 1400L approached the people at the nearest TUV centre to ask for advice on what is possible? A personal approach in the home language would be much more practical than any thing else.

Yes! Yesterday we went to the nearest TUV and asked the corresponding department. The problem is that many times they ask you a year or certain information that you may not be sure of having correctly, so I have also come to this forum. In addition, the procedures are always more agile if you have any type of file or technical information. We are waiting to receive a call.

It may seem like a tedious project, but nevertheless if it had not been this way it would be impossible for me to have a caravan. I have traveled a lot and I have done camping, but the camping tent limits you to go in good weather, however the caravan allows you to go in more times of the year.
Thank you very much for your responses.:Thankyou:

Edited by piper1400l
confusion

Piper caravans were first manufactured by Cosalt Caravans which eventually became Abbey.    An old Caravan magazine which I have and is dated 1994 still lists the Piper range as Piper 12-2 EX; 14-4L EX; 14-5 EX and 15-5 EX.  

My guess is that the OP's van is dated from the middle 80's because the earlier builds had a less sloping front with the door hanging from the opposite edge.   The shading on the front of the OP's van clearly shows it has recently lost its gas locker.   It should be fitted like so:-

1170982282_AnotherPiper.jpg.c41fb7fe319ed2883eca7e5e2a3ba47f.jpg

16 hours ago, AndersG said:

If you are resident in Spain you can't drive a car registered outside Spain.

Unless the non-resident owner/keeper of the vehicle is also in the vehicle.

buenas tardes, he encontrado el numero de chasis en el cuadro del remolque y efectivamente se trata de una caravana que se encuentra dentro de 1982 segun los numeros de fabricacion de B&B trailers

IMG_20191120_162455.jpg

Edited by piper1400l

24 minutes ago, piper1400l said:

buenas tardes, he encontrado el numero de chasis en el cuadro del remolque y efectivamente se trata de una caravana que se encuentra dentro de 1982 segun los numeros de fabricacion de B&B trailers

B&B Chassis was a very old English company which was bought by Alko in the early 1990's.   Originally the company was started by Mr. Billington and a Mr. Bird - hence the B&B.   They eventually became the supplier of chassis for most of the British caravan marques.   Well done to you for your perseverance in your research.

Edited by Jaydug

15 hours ago, Jaydug said:

B&B Chassis was a very old English company which was bought by Alko in the early 1990's.   Originally the company was started by Mr. Billington and a Mr. Bird - hence the B&B.   They eventually became the supplier of chassis for most of the British caravan marques.   Well done to you for your perseverance in your research.