Help battery over winter

Hi this is my first winter with a caravan and I'm not sure what to do with the battery. I used to have a motorhome so I'm happy winterising  the caravan but im thinking of removing the battery and connecting a battery conditioner. I've had a look online and the prices vary hugely from about £50 to many hundreds.  I'm not going to spend hundreds to protect a battery that cost just over £100 but I would be grateful for some advice about which charger to buy. Thanks John 

Aldi sometimes have a charger on offer for about £15 which you can use to condition the battery. Otherwise give the battery an occasional boost from a normal charger.

At intervals I just hook up for 24/48 hours.

1 hour ago, Ex-Gasman said:

Hi this is my first winter with a caravan and I'm not sure what to do with the battery.

im thinking of removing the battery and connecting a battery conditioner.

Save your money John. Where the caravan is relative to where you live, how long you are going to store the caravan before you next use it, and whether or not it is needed to power an alarm, will determine the best course of action.

If you disconnect the battery and have it at home, then keep it in a frost free location (possibly a garage) but do not place it on a concrete floor. Charge it fully, then disconnect the charger. 

Monitor the battery voltage from time to time. Every few weeks, connect a headlamp bulb across the terminals and allow the battery to discharge, remove the bulb and recharge the battery immediately, removing the charger once charged.  Repeating this every couple of months will exercise the battery and keep it in good condition. If it not a sealed battery, ensure the liquid level is maintained throughout.

I have used this method over many years to maintain batteries, and so far it has never let me down.

Of course if the battery has to remain with the caravan then you'll have to mimic this process in the caravan, or simply use the caravan throughout the year, where it will be run through many discharge / charge cycles and remain in good condition throughout.

Whatever you do, do not allow the battery to remain discharged for long periods of time, or indeed stay on charge 24/7.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Buy a cheap tiny solar panel that will fit inside your van-we propped ours in the skylight and connect direct to battery-if you buy a small one no need for a controller but buy a bigger one and a controller and you can use it all the time on site etc-if you go off grid-we bought a little one and never ever charged the battery-and it kept it nicely topped up so we could use the motor mover etc!

Aldi / Lidl charger on winter mode left on 24/7. Yes the CTEK ones are supposed to be better but much more expensive. I confess to having 4 Lidl ones, one each for the bike, caravan and classic car and another just because. ....

On 19/11/2019 at 06:34, Ex-Gasman said:

Hi this is my first winter with a caravan and I'm not sure what to do with the battery. I used to have a motorhome so I'm happy winterising  the caravan but im thinking of removing the battery and connecting a battery conditioner. I've had a look online and the prices vary hugely from about £50 to many hundreds.  I'm not going to spend hundreds to protect a battery that cost just over £100 but I would be grateful for some advice about which charger to buy. Thanks John 

Have a look HERE and then under WINTERISING for more information and helpful advice.

I do not bother to do anything besides fit a C-Tek charger and leave it on. They are designed to do just that and they condition as an added bonus.

Edited by BOAC
Add info

The only issue with removing the battery is if the insurance calls for the caravan alarm to be activated if you have declared it . If the insurance company discover no battery fitted it might take some explaining and they could refuse a claim ?

Dave

My caravan alarm had its own battery inside it just like the one at home, so would have been ok for a while with no leisure battery.

Thank you everyone for the fast response.

The caravan is stored at home,and  it doesn't  have an alarm, throughout the summer when we didn't get away as much as we would like for family reasons, I just put it on hookup every couple of weeks or so, but now it will be a while before we use it I wanted to take to battery off and forget about it until we use  it again, so I'll probably get a conditioner / charger and leave the battery in the shed over the winter.

Thanks

John