Sign in to follow this  
hp100425ev

Crikey Mikey -Outdoor Cleaning Wizard Solution

This product is advertised regularly in the press and is supposed to clean paving (amongst other things), removing algae and dirt just by spraying it on and leaving it.

Anyone used it and can advise whether or not it does what it says?

Thanks for that, a real mixed bag in there.

Looks like the pressure washer will come out again.

Edited by hp100425ev

I find using a watering can and a stiff bristled brush works well enough to clean paving.

I have used just strong household bleach for years, work in over the slabs and leave for an hour or so, hose off. 

Tried the pressure washer before but it damages  the surface of the slab . Maybe not so good if the bleach washes onto grass or a border. Works for me on the patio.

If I used bleach I think I would be unlucky and end up with it on my clothes and shoes and walked in to the house, possibly ruining them or turning them white. I could just imagine white foot prints on the carpet and getting told off.

Patio Magic is your friend...

11 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Patio Magic is your friend...

Wilko do a version of Patio Magic which is just as good and a bit cheaper (I've used both an they equally effective). I find it's OK on concrete and gets rid of alge in a couple of days but doesn't seem to do much for block paving with black mould for some reason.  The block paving still looks a bit black and I reluctant to use the pressure washer on it coz we've got a lot and it doesn't ever come out ever so even (or it doesn't when I do it)

I've got some stuff from Screwfix which works on the decking, I've not tried it on the block paving yet

I just sprinkle the cheapest bio washing powder from lidl over the algae and miss and leave it and it kills it .

Dave

Use the correct stuff and its a doddle, use the wrong stuff and you are breaking the law.

https://mistralni.co.uk/products/lancelot-green-cleaner-concentrate-5-ddac-solution-kills-mould-algae-and-lichen-on-hard-surfaces

Jeyes Fluid works and it's less hazardous.

Wet and Forget works really well and is pH neutral.

Armillatox was even better but it's no longer available. I do still have 2 five litre containers of it.

• Like 1

I use Hyperchlorite after being recommended by a farmer neighbour, about £15 for 25 litres, I water it down to about one part Hyper and four parts water and use a watering can with gloves and eye protectors. I can comb my hair ( whats left of it) in the paving slabs. I buy it from the local Farmers Co-operative 

5 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I use Hyperchlorite after being recommended by a farmer neighbour, about £15 for 25 litres, I water it down to about one part Hyper and four parts water and use a watering can with gloves and eye protectors. I can comb my hair ( whats left of it) in the paving slabs. I buy it from the local Farmers Co-operative 

Sodium hyperchlorite is the main ingredient in bleach but at £15 for 25 litres that is a good price compared to ready diluted from supermarkets.

On 18/11/2019 at 22:20, Les Medes said:

Decided to give the Hypochlorite a go.

Think you will be able to spot where I've used it and the bits still to do!

Thanks for the tip!

20191210_111840.jpg

Edited by hp100425ev

18 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Decided to give the Hypochlorite a go.

Think you will be able to spot where I've used it and the bits still to do!

Thanks for the tip!

20191210_111840.jpg

Excellent job, looks like you could comb your hair in the finish !!!!    I am glad that you are pleased, you have just reminded me, I must do our Patios, Paths and Drive when the weather clears up

16 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Excellent job, looks like you could comb your hair in the finish !!!!    I am glad that you are pleased, you have just reminded me, I must do our Patios, Paths and Drive when the weather clears up

I'm sure that they are even cleaner than with the pressure washer, although there are more powerful washers out there.  

Probably wouldn't use it on the paths though because of the runoff and potential damage to grass and plants.

PS I do still have plenty of hair to comb.

Edited by hp100425ev

10 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

I'm sure that they are even cleaner than with the pressure washer, although there are more powerful washers out there.  

Probably wouldn't use it on the paths though because of the runoff and potential damage to grass and plants.

PS I do still have plenty of hair to comb.

Never had a problem with "run off" I have not killed any grass or plants in over 20 years that I have been using it, in the early days I did not take the advice of the farmer to wear wellies as the drips from the mix burnt holes in my jeans, I always wear gloves and safety glasses, never get it on your skin. there is no need to increase the strength just make up the mix as I described, all my family/friends have thanked me for the advice and all have shiny patios and paths, I am gld you are pleased with the result 

Muc-Off pushbike cleaner. Not cheap but works wonders. 

Tip #1: check prices at Halfords - very often well discounted especially the 5L bottle. Currently on offer at £19.79 saving £7.20 but have bought it as low as £14.99 and it lasts <ages.>

Tip #2: put ¼-½ a cupful into your car washer bottle and you will never have any smear - even removes wax from the windscreen after a car wash. Bio-degradable and water soluble.

Edited by Woodentop