Sign in to follow this  
MartinJ56

Floor ventilation

I just bought a second had lodge and the previous owner has put extra insulation on the underneath of the lodge but has covered the floor vents. Is this a big issue?

It could be!   Some of the vents may be drop vents which allow escaping gas to exit the living space - liquid gas is heavier than air.   By blocking them it could leave an explosive mixture inside.   Also blocking vents will allow a build-up of condensation leading to damp.

As Jaydug has said, but also, the vents in the floor allow ambient air to get into the van en-route to escaping out of the ceiling vents, thus removing moisture.

Block them all and expect to increase the chances of excessive condensation.

The extra insulation is a good idea, but not the vent blocking.

If an older lodge it might be built to caravan standards but newer ones may be built to residential standards. We used a 2007 one which had holes in the floor of each room as well as ones under gas appliances (using propane). When it was very windy I would temporarily cover some of the holes but not the ones under gas appliances (boiler and cooker). This flooded and was replaced in 2016 by one built to a BS residential standard and this only has holes under gas appliances (using propane) but has vents on the windows that can be opened so designs do change.

I would make sure your carbon monoxide alarms are working and as others have pointed out, make sure the floor vents under gas appliances are clear if you use propane gas.

Edited by Paul1957

We have just had the yearly check done on the gas boiler / fire at home  and the engineer said that folk often cover up vents and then wonder why they have headaches  etc.  I would say that if there is a vent then it was put there for a reason and it should be uncovered, just my opinion, I'm no expert , but perhaps you should get your gas checked out anyway then you can ask the engineer the question. 

1 minute ago, joanie said:

We have just had the yearly check done on the gas boiler / fire at home  and the engineer said that folk often cover up vents and then wonder why they have headaches  etc.  I would say that if there is a vent then it was put there for a reason and it should be uncovered, just my opinion, I'm no expert , but perhaps you should get your gas checked out anyway then you can ask the engineer the question. 

A misplaced quote if you have no open flued appliances, it only applies if the gas/coal appliance draws air for combustion from the room it is in, if your fire or boiler is balanced flued/room sealed then he is talking rubbish.

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

A misplaced quote if you have no open flued appliances, it only applies if the gas/coal appliance draws air for combustion from the room it is in, if your fire or boiler is balanced flued/room sealed then he is talking rubbish.

as you say if it had no open flue  it would be rubbish and also a bit pointless of me quoting it on here.  It's a back boiler. 

I have just re-read the OP and see that there is no mention of any sort of gas appliance , it was mentioned in the posts that followed, therefore the vent may be just for ventilation , who knows?

Edited by joanie

1 minute ago, joanie said:

as you say if it had no open flue  it would be rubbish and also a bit pointless of me quoting it on here.  It's a back boiler. 

as you didn't say what kind of boiler you had serviced I could only inform with a factual comment that applied to everyone.