colin h

Dehumidifier

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Finether-Dehumidifier-500ml-Air-Moisture-Damp-Dry-Home-Bedroom-Bathroom-Kitchen/27035045748?iid=123375620788&rt=nc

I may well be preaching to the converted, especially as a newbie . However i have used these in my garage to keep the moisture down and reduce damp and rust on my Motorcycle.

I have put one in the van and in just 3 days it was half full.

Imagine where that moisture would go if it wasn't there!   Before anyone asks it was not as a result of heavy breathing... 

There is a school of thought that says that as caravans have so many vents, you are simply trying to dry out your neighbourhood.

Having said that we have just bought some wardrobe dehumidifiers as the bedroom wardrobes are on a rear wall and tend to collect condensation, when we use the van in the winter.  Hope that as the wardrobes are small, relatively enclosed spaces, dehumidifiers will work.

Nanamel

14 minutes ago, colin h said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Finether-Dehumidifier-500ml-Air-Moisture-Damp-Dry-Home-Bedroom-Bathroom-Kitchen/27035045748?iid=123375620788&rt=nc

I may well be preaching to the converted, especially as a newbie . However i have used these in my garage to keep the moisture down and reduce damp and rust on my Motorcycle.

Imagine where that moisture would go if it wasn't there!   Before anyone asks it was not as a result of heavy breathing... 

of course its half full and it will continue to dehumidify the planet unless you block up all the ventilation in the van. Removing moisture from the van interior will just suck even more damp air in from outside to keep the unit working.

I've got one in my Man Cave and it runs for a few days and fills up quite quickly when it's first put on around the end of October and then doesn't need emptying for a couple of weeks or more, but that's coz the cave doesn't have any ventilation openings unlike a caravan which is like a colander

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1
  • +1 2

41 minutes ago, colin h said:

Use one in the garage. It's not cheap at over £1 per day but keeps the humidity levels at 60 percent instead of 90 percent. Makes a massive difference to corrosion on all the tools bikes etc etc

Used one in the caravan before we put it in storage and worked really well to keep humidity levels low.

Cost much less than the garage and whilst there is a school of thought saying it's trying to dehumidify the world, it's actually no different in trying to heat a van. Yes insulation and vents aren't great but for 50p a day over winter, the van stays super dry and there's also a little bit of warmth from the dessicant ones.

Win win...

Edited by PandR

I have one on the boat that works 24/7... The drain pipe goes into a small (12" dia) washing up bowl, which can then overflow into the dink and drain away.  I tip the bowl on each visit to enable me to check that it's actually working.  I visited yesterday, 8 days after my previous visit.  The bowl was only half full (about 3 pints) and the machine had gone to sleep because the humidistat had kicked in.  There is ventilation, but that doesn't sound like drying the planet to me...

• Like 1

This is a debate which crops up from time to time, but in the absence of proper scientific testing, does not have a clear answer.

One view is that the ventilation completely nullifies the effect of the dehumidifier, the other is that every little helps.

Those who have spent out to purchase one are never going to admit they are an unnecessary expense are they?? 

As I have posted many times in the past I have NEVER heated, or dehumidified any of the motor homes or caravans I have owned over the years, but I HAVE always ensured adequate ventilation. Our leisure vehicles have always been left fully equipped and ready to go and that includes the bed being made up. 

Over the years I have never suffered from damp/condensation/mould in any of them. So, from my fairly extensive experience, I am more than happy to say heating or dehumidifiers are not necessary. Others clearly disagree, like most things in life it’s down to personal choice. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1
  • +1 3

16 minutes ago, Stevan said:

This is a debate which crops up from time to time, but in the absence of proper scientific testing, does not have a clear answer.

One view is that the ventilation completely nullifies the effect of the dehumidifier, the other is that every little helps.

There is no argument over relative humidity...

We monitor ours in the garage and formerly the van and the garage is maintained at 60 pct and the van was maintained at 55 pct.

So absolutely the vents do not cause the RH to rise. They merely affect how hard the unit has to work.

What's more questionable is whether without a dehumidifier there is an increased propensity to mould problems.

With a RH < 60 pct there will be no mould issues. Before we used one we did have some very minor mould issues with the curtains and the wife is very good at spotting musty environments due to allergies and the dehumidifier stopped all of that.

Of course there's a financial aspect.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Those who have spent out to purchase one are never going to admit they are an unnecessary expense are they?? 

Really. Do you think everyone is so shallow?

Edited by PandR

18 minutes ago, PandR said:

There is no argument over relative humidity...

No, but anecdotal evidence is seldom conclusive other than to prove that something can be done.

To be a proper test it would require quite a few vans to be properly monitored over a winter under identical conditions, one third with dehumidifiers, one third with moisture traps and one third without.

Relative humidity is just that - relative.

It's how much water vapour the air can hold before it condenses on a colder surface, relative to the air temperature.

The warmer the air temperature, the more vapour it can hold before it condenses out on a cold surface. If you warm that cold surface, it won't condense out. If you don't have a cold surface, it won't condense out.

The cooler the air temperature, it will have less ability to hold the moisture before condensing out onto a colder surface. If you warm that cold surface, it won't condense out. 

You can have 99% humidity, but that may be a massive, or tiny amount of water vapour being held in the air, because it is relative to the amount of vapour that can be held AT THAT TEMPERATURE.

I used to work on special cabinets that could create and control temperatures and humidities to scientific degrees of accuracy and repeatability that simulated environmental conditions anywhere in the world.

Unless you totally seal the box (your caravan) you will always have some ambient air coming in. 

Save your money, just make sure you have no rainwater leaks into the van, and ensure the vents are not blocked to allow the van to "breathe" such that the interior temperature and humidity within the van can easily equal that of the outside.

Open the cupboard doors to allow those voids to also breathe.

Well, My logic is...The van is sort of compartmentalised in that the under seat area or underbed area is vented, its unlikely that the sides are vented unless you have had a visit from machine gun kelly. In which case don't worry about the dehumidifier.   The upper compartment has a citadel like pressure higher than the cooler vented areas. This upper area is the one that is dehumidified. When i breathe, shower, cook I give off vapour that with the best will in the world won't sneak out via its own designated escape route for vapour. It is most likely to be absorbed by whatever is around it, clothes curtains seating etc. So my pitiful dehumidifier takes on the challenge and is not strong enough to suck up the air from below the seating, beds etc and concentrates on the air its puny motor can suck up. Interestingly the water smelt of cooking..ish so maybe another benefit.

Is it scientific...no...Do i pay for it when on EHU...No so despite the naysayers it will stay in my van. 

Edited by colin h

17 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

I have one on the boat that works 24/7. . .

There is ventilation, but that doesn't sound like drying the planet to me...

I guess there are no floor vents either in a boat :D

I have not used a dehumidifier in any of our vans or MHs but I doo monitor (and record) the temp max/min and RH max/min. The RH normally sits at around 60% in the winter and 45%ish in the summer, and low level heating is only used if I have left water in the water pipes to the sink etc, and the temp drops below 3deg. Never has condensation or freezing pipes if stored during cols times. That said, we do use our vans or MHs all year round, so like Andy keep the outfits "ready to go".

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Our leisure vehicles have always been left fully equipped and ready to go and that includes the bed being made up.