Lutz

Campsites for caravans only?

Pitches on campsites in southern Europe tend to be quite small but motorhomes seem to be getting bigger all the time. While I had little difficulty in setting up pitch on the site in Spain where we are on now (despite an overall length of almost 8m and thanks to a motor mover), I have seen several larger motorhomes having big problems in getting on to their pitch. One had to manoeuvre within an inch or two of my car to do so. That raised the question in my mind whether anyone has ever come across a campsite where motorhomes are not accepted or whether there would be a case for segregating the two? Just a thought.

• Like 2

CMC sites already do this right here in UK. Motor caravans get hard standings reserved for them and the rest get what's left on the grass.  :D

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I have seen several larger motorhomes having big problems in getting on to their pitch

Our caravan is 7.3 and using a mover have always been able to access pitches. Our MH buddies have a 8m van and do sometimes struggle to either get onto the pitch or, more often, to position it exactly as they would like it.

They usually go to Spain in the early spring and the pictures they have shown us of very small pitches just adds to  the list of reasons why we dont!

As for segregation, have never come across a site that segregates and  I am sure there will be some interesting comments-can only guess what the reaction would be on the CMC forum! 

We go to Southern Spain often and are amazed that you found some MHs on a camp site!

I thought most were parked illegally anywhere. :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

Pitches on campsites in southern Europe tend to be quite small but motorhomes seem to be getting bigger all the time. While I had little difficulty in setting up pitch on the site in Spain where we are on now (despite an overall length of almost 8m and thanks to a motor mover), I have seen several larger motorhomes having big problems in getting on to their pitch. One had to manoeuvre within an inch or two of my car to do so. That raised the question in my mind whether anyone has ever come across a campsite where motorhomes are not accepted or whether there would be a case for segregating the two? Just a thought.

If MHs  were sent away from caravanners, who would take them shopping and sightseeing?? 😀🤪🤪😀

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

I would think that if a site cannot accommodate motor homes then they wouldn't be allowed on site . In the CMC hand book , on the first few pages there is a bit which states the maximum length of 'vans.

Large motorhomes can completely eliminate the direct sun from neighbouring pitches for the whole day. This matters more in Spain in winter because we rely on the radiated heat of the sun at times when the air temperature isn't quite up to norm. 

5 minutes ago, joanie said:

I would think that if a site cannot accommodate motor homes then they wouldn't be allowed on site . In the CMC hand book , on the first few pages there is a bit which states the maximum length of 'vans.

CMC hand book isn't read by Spanish site operators. Come to think of it - its not read much by the UK ones either. ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ern said:

Large motorhomes can completely eliminate the direct sun from neighbouring pitches for the whole day. This matters more in Spain in winter because we rely on the radiated heat of the sun at times when the air temperature isn't quite up to norm. 

CMC hand book isn't read by Spanish site operators. Come to think of it - its not read much by the UK ones either. ;)

sorry, I didn't realise this thread related to Spain only:P

• Like 1

Many continental campsites, especially in Italy, seem to be constructed in the belief that all caravans and motorhomes are, at most, 6m in length. The majority of Continental “Camping-cars” are indeed about 6m in length, it’s the Brits (in the main but not exclusively) who seem to like behemoths! 

I have been on one site where my 7.4m MH was literally mm from the fence at the rear of the pitch whilst the front was about halfway across the access road! Campsite stasi were happy for me to be there (unlike some of the other campers! ) I would have been in exactly the same situation with my current caravan (same length) 

A site operator can make whatever rules they wish in respect of campsites. Think how many French ones say twin axle vans are not permitted! (Nothing to do with keeping a “certain” sector of society out of course!)  I think (some) continental sites have adopted the attitude of “pack ‘em in as tight as possible to maximise profit” The 6m “rule” is a total anathema to them as well. 

Andy

Our favourite site in The Netherlands has a separate MH section, caravans are allowed in the MH section but MH’s aren’t allowed on the caravan pitches. I think it’s because they damage the ground.

https://www.strandparkdezeeuwsekust.nl/en/

I think there tends to be two problems on Continental sites which make it difficult for both caravans (without movers) and larger motorhomes, and really there is no difference if a caravan has to be reversed onto a pitch, in fact they are probably longer that 95% of motorhomes. Firstly the sites roads tend to be rather narrow and secondly the parking of cars adjacent to the road, usually to within an inch of the delineation between pitch and road, tends to make it difficult. In the UK we are used to cars being parked alongside of the caravan so they tend not to get in the way of vehicles reversing. 

David

We've certainly had to try some innovative solutions to get the outfit onto some pitches.

image.png

Outfit 2006 France.jpg

What upset me most was one motorhomer who asked me to move my car even it was standing within the boundary of my pitch so that he could reverse his vehicle around the corner. I can't understand why the staff let him on to the campsite, although to be fair on them the owner of the motorhome made a complete hash of his manoeuvres. It was probably the first time out with his new acquisition.

Last year on the same site I even offered to place someone else's motorhome on another pitch after I saw what difficulty they were having.

5 hours ago, joanie said:

sorry, I didn't realise this thread related to Spain only:P

Sorry joanie I didn't mean to come across Smart """"se.  It's just that Lutz OP'd from Spain.  :)

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

What upset me most was one motorhomer who asked me to move my car even it was standing within the boundary of my pitch so that he could reverse his vehicle around the corner. I can't understand why the staff let him on to the campsite, although to be fair on them the owner of the motorhome made a complete hash of his manoeuvres. It was probably the first time out with his new acquisition.

Last year on the same site I even offered to place someone else's motorhome on another pitch after I saw what difficulty they were having.

That was generous of you. Did they want it on the other one though, or the one next door?:rolleyes:

Edited by Ern
  • Haha 1

During the summer going to forest of dean camping and caravan site there was no problem reversing the caravan onto the pitch, but in winter one has to be careful to keep wheels on road or hard standing and the access road was too narrow to reverse in without ending up with one wheel on the grass, so had to use motor mover to ensure did not churn up the grass, and putting car on the pitch only just enough room.

I can see with a MH where you have limited lock it would be tight.

On another site in the North of England we were not allowed to have car at caravan, once caravan positioned car had to be removed from field, whole idea I think was no cars charging around the camp site so safer for children, people tend to drive slowly when towing, so even in UK there are sites that don't like MH on them.

However there is a huge difference between the small MH and some of the HGV types, I know some sites will not allow vans on the site, I think to stop travelers using the site, a transit van is really no different to a  large 4 x 4 but some site do refuse them.

I want on to one site which if the caravan was tatty would ask for a copy of the electrical test certificate, they would be refused entry without one, but smart caravans were allowed on without asking, so it was really a case of we don't want tatty caravans on the site, the test certificate was just an excuse.

We had this monster next to us this year! Nice enough people but glad when they left

20190522_090858.jpg

4 hours ago, ericmark said:

I can see with a MH where you have limited lock it would be tight.

That is one advantage I have over many smaller MHs. Our current MH is rear wheel drive with a vicious steering lock that allows access to the tightest of pitches. If it will physically fit, I'll normally get the MH in without too much difficulty, or disturbance to others. I am aware of the negative opinion some have of our outfit so where possible I do try to position it for minimal impact on the enjoyment of others.

Having driven front wheel drive MHs in the past I agree that the steering lock leaves a lot to be desired.

The site where go (clue in my name) in Catalonia is too small for MH's  due to the low branches of trees but they are still let onto the site, the to be fair,the owners are developing a plot of land adjoining the site for MH's only, I don't know when it will be ready for occupancy as there are, I understand are planning issues, also when that MH area is open they intend to make the existing pitches larger  

I have noticed that the CAMH foreign touring brochure.does show a maximum length for many sites. Despite being within this length on one site we could only get the caravan onto the pitch with the mover, although to be fair to them they did say I I had a problem they would find us another one.

So Lutz , what would the motorhomer who wanted you to move have done, if you hadn't been on site and left your car parked up....

Would have found another pitch or managed and you would have been non the wiser.

On 19/11/2019 at 15:33, Wildwood said:

I have noticed that the CAMH foreign touring brochure.does show a maximum length for many sites. Despite being within this length on one site we could only get the caravan onto the pitch with the mover

The opposite is true on some sites - they stipulate a maximum length of outfit even though they could accommodate longer units. Their site - their rules, even if they're not always logical.

On 18/11/2019 at 08:07, David in Cheshire said:

We had this monster next to us this year! Nice enough people but glad when they left

20190522_090858.jpg

If you think that is close, this is the one standing right next to me at the moment (he's been there for almost a week now):

grafik.png.72aaea2ab018bc4346dfe4410ec1f6cb.png

Glad to be leaving the campsite tomorrow and heading home now that it's filling up with snowbirds.

I saw at Milestone site Newark a few years back a twin wheel Motorhome parked diagonally on a pitch, only way it could fit.

yes, but it is a Carthago ... and also a new model...:D;)

11 hours ago, Lutz said:

If you think that is close, this is the one standing right next to me at the moment (he's been there for almost a week now):

grafik.png.72aaea2ab018bc4346dfe4410ec1f6cb.png

Glad to be leaving the campsite tomorrow and heading home now that it's filling up with snowbirds.

Be thankful its not a really tall one. We once had a" block of high rise apartments" on wheels parked that close, and it deleted the sun from us. There was no spot of sun  on our pitch. We had to sit in the road. I put a washing line up and hoisted bed sheets higher than our caravan roof, and they didn't like it much. They moved two days later for some reason. Our sheets got dirty, but it was a small price to pay.