Ern

What is this?

We keep finding these little nails in the caravan, and also in the house. they are about 22mm long and have obviously come from somewhere, but where?

P1000470X.JPG

What material is the cone shaped section made out of do you think?

Hi. its rubber (rubber like). The head has abrasion marks as though its been scuffed. Every one we've found has been identical. We have found about half a dozen in the caravan and another half a dozen in the house. The end you cant see is not pointed like a nail - its square.

Interesting Ern.

Just a couple of questions, does it appear that the head would be sunk into the rubber cone and flush with the top when it was in use and are the black marks on the ' nail ' section paint or are they also rubber, i.e. has it been bonded into something,  the photo is  a bit fuzzy in that area and finally do the scuff marks all lie in one direction or are they random ?

The rubber cone being there suggests a few things, is it to provide sound deadening, is it for attaching an item / surface to allow for expansion or to prevent damage, is it there to provide a seal and finally, what make is the caravan and did they first turn up in the caravan or house ?

Earn, I tried using a reverse image search, but I’m afraid the picture isn’t sharp enough … is there any chance of a clearer close-up?

John

Broken fan mounting rivets?

image.png.cf2cf1df6b74bc6e4f0fc010d32cb69a.png

Are you inveterate clog wearers and the nails are coming adrift from the soles?

Cheers

Keith 

Ear Plugs

1 hour ago, Wunny said:

That looks to be a good match for what they are, but how did they get where they are, in both house and caravan?

I think this little guy is rampaging around your house and van.

trilogy_of_terror.jpg.262865bbd8cba6081ef5fed9be1d417c.jpg

If you look carefully you'll probably find the broken off pointy tips of the spears he's been throwing about. 

I'd watch your ankles if I were you. 

8 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Interesting Ern.

Just a couple of questions, does it appear that the head would be sunk into the rubber cone and flush with the top when it was in use and are the black marks on the ' nail ' section paint or are they also rubber, i.e. has it been bonded into something,  the photo is  a bit fuzzy in that area and finally do the scuff marks all lie in one direction or are they random ?

The rubber cone being there suggests a few things, is it to provide sound deadening, is it for attaching an item / surface to allow for expansion or to prevent damage, is it there to provide a seal and finally, what make is the caravan and did they first turn up in the caravan or house ?

Yes, sunk into rubber and it appears t have been bonded - the black marks are remains of that. The shiny surface of the head is directional grooves  and quite coarse. They have been appearing in the house and caravan for about 1 year. We find one and then some weeks until another. Those in the house have all been on carpeted areas, never found on smooth floors in utility areas and we never wear shoes in those carpeted areas, so they probably haven't come in on our shoes. Caravan is Swift 4 years old, and none found until about a year ago.

I am terrible with a camera but will have another go at it tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Earn, I tried using a reverse image search, but I’m afraid the picture isn’t sharp enough … is there any chance of a clearer close-up?

John

Yes I will try to, but as I said I am no photographer.

2 hours ago, Wunny said:

image.png.cf2cf1df6b74bc6e4f0fc010d32cb69a.png

No. I am sure its not one of those. The pin is steel.

1 hour ago, rslsys said:

Are you inveterate clog wearers and the nails are coming adrift from the soles?

Cheers

Keith 

Well, I'm not. I will ask Mrs Ern directly.

Edited by Ern

Ern, did you ever solve this puzzle ?

John

2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Ern, did you ever solve this puzzle ?

John

No. I said I would try and take a better pic but I got fed up of trying to do that. The mystery remains. we haven't found another since then Nov 17 but its due about now I guess.

Do you aver take your house vac to the van?

It could be something that you pick up in one or other of those locations and the nail gets stuck in the head and pos out later at home or in the van hence transporting it between the source and an alternate destination?

Carpeted areas only make me think that.

1 hour ago, SteveMilner said:

Do you aver take your house vac to the van?

It could be something that you pick up in one or other of those locations and the nail gets stuck in the head and pos out later at home or in the van hence transporting it between the source and an alternate destination?

Carpeted areas only make me think that.

Yes we do. You could be right. Also same could happen with shoes and even clothes, and that includes the garden shed etc in the possible sources, but I  still haven't a scooby doo. :(

i think it could be a nail from holding your shed together

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ldsundance said:

i think it could be a nail from holding your shed together

If so, once enough of the nails have fallen out, the shed will collapse and the mystery will be solved.

If they are steel you could go over the carpet with a magnet to see if any more are picked up, similar in the shed.