Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Volvo XC60 …. FWD or AWD ?

I’m still looking for a replacement tow car, and have now decided to stay with Volvo (despite my previous post asking about Land Rovers).

So my thoughts have turned to upgrading my V60 to an XC60, which in my price range will have to be the old style, ie about 3 years old.

The decision then comes down to whether to go for the ‘normal’ drivetrain or the AWD version.

Has anyone got knowledge or experience of these cars and can offer advice on what to look out for?

TIA, John.

I’ve got fwd D4 2lt great car not had any issues being front wheel drive.

towed 8 1/2 hours back from Dorset in the summer lovely comfy drive mpg around 28 towing 

Not Volvo specific, but I have had experience of getting the 'van off a soggy pitch. 4WD got us out of an otherwise awkward situation with no bother. In most normal driving situations the AWD would seem to be an unnecessary extra: until you need it:o

It's often said that 2wd and winter tyres is better, in winter, than 4wd and summer tyres - I'd equally suggest that 2wd with All-Season tyres is better than 4wd and summer tyres for caravanning.

Most 4wd cars are 2wd drive with smart, occasional, 4wd so rarely actually use the extra components.

• Like 1

The beauty of the XC60 AWD is it comes with the 2.4 5-cylinder engine where as the FWD has the 2.0 4-cylinder engine - I know which one I’d rather have which also gives you AWD capability.

I have had the earlier xc60 and the current and one. Both have been great cars. Suspension was a little choppy on the 2015 model and turning circle was poor.  New model has  better turning circle and better, smoother suspension. I tow a Crusader Zephyr and it pulls it with no problems. From memory i think max tow is 2400kgs but car weight is lower so Zephyr is above the 85% guide. But it tows really well up hill and never had a feeling of the tail wagging the dog. Consumption is around 38mpg and towing around 28, although i did get 35 when driving like a nun.

Edited by colin h

I had an XC90 as a courtesy car for a few weeks and did a 'u' turn putting one of the front wheels on the verge where it just sat spinning! That was a 4wd!

We now have an Audi A6 allroad which is excellent.

Cliff

I drove over a muddy field in Cornwall no problems, you have to select 4wd!

We’ve got the XC60 D4 AWD Auto and it’s a brilliant car. You get that safe feeling from it being higher up and it’s really comfortable. Mr J is around 5’ 4 and she uses it as her daily cat with no problems. We have been in a few boggy places and towed out fine as it does up and down steep gradients. Get high 30’s solo and between 25 & 28 towing. Find yourself a local independent garage Volvo main dealers know how to charge for servicing. The sat nav takes you on some interesting routes so be warned when your towing!! Had ours 4 years done over 50k miles and apart from servicing, tyres etc have just had to spend £1.50 on a brake light bulb...

Am thinking of replacing it whilst it’s still got some value, watched your earlier topic with interest and have had a good look around at alternatives and I keep coming back to getting another slightly newer one. Am going to wait till the new year now before making any final decisions.

2 minutes ago, colin h said:

I drove over a muddy field in Cornwall no problems, you have to select 4wd!

Not on ours you don’t, it applies 4WD by sensing wheel slip. The only way I know it’s in 4WD is when the light on the dash tells me it’s engaged.

On the 2018 model you can have comfort/eco 4wd/dynamic by rotating a roller on the centre console. I'm told that it is in perm 4wd but rotating roller and selecting it limits slippage and changes engine mode.

The current XC60 AWD is only truly AWD in normal driving when wheel slippage is detected and in normal driving mode the majority of the torque is via the front wheels, AWD is automatically  selected by the system when starting from stationary, or you can select  OFF ROAD at low speed, it does not mean that no wheel slippage will ever take place but when it does torque will be maximised through the wheels which have maximum traction.  So in my own opinion AWD is worth having if you like camping in fields, (as opposed to CMC Hard Standings), live in a wintry region of the country or the extra cost doesn't matter to you.

AWD makes a difference on wet roads not just snow and wet grass, fit it with winter tyres and no FWD will compete with it IMO.

I only buy cars now with AWD since owning a quattro in 1999.

We had 3 XC60 D5 AWDs and all were superb! We now have an XC90 Powerpulse 235 and this is equally awesome!  (8 Volvos in total) over the years) I would stick with AWDs (and keep away from the JLR products!)

I was once stuck on a flat grass camping field after helping my son pack his camping gear away. I waved him off, jumped into my S70 FWD auto, the wheels just spun! I have just got a VOLVO XC60 SE LUX NAV D5 AWD, 2400CC I am well impressed, especially with the extras, especially the adaptive cruise control and City Safety etc.

I am not as young as I used to be and feel that the extras will be of benefit to me.

volvo3.jpg

Edited by Fortyfoot
spelling

2 minutes ago, Fortyfoot said:

I was once stuck on a flat grass camping field after helping my son pack his camping gear away. I waved him off, jumped into my S70 FWD auto, the wheels just spun! I have just got a .VOLVO XC60 SE LUX NAV D5 AWD, 2400CC I am well impressed, especially with the extras, especially the adaptive cruise control and City Safety.

I am not as young as I used to be and feel that the extras will be of benefit to me.

volvo3.jpg

Full size spare wheel? What year is it?

I pick it up  on Wednesday, this is the spare, don't know owt about them.

tempa.jpg

And of course AWD usually has a higher towing capacity as per makers rating. Worth considering if you may change the van.

Yes 2300kg for my Tiguan.

12 hours ago, Fortyfoot said:

I pick it up  on Wednesday, this is the spare, don't know owt about them.

tempa.jpg

Thats not a full size wheel though.

I have a 2014 XC60 D4 AWD Auto. This is the 5cyl 2.4Diesel engine, great for towing and great solo. There is no driver control for the Haldex AWD system; it will only give you information when it breaks-down! I haven't ever been in a situation where the AWD has saved me but you can tell when it is shoving the car. Downside: it will rob some MPGs as does Auto (I found the manual version 'agricultural' compared to other Volvo 6-speed boxes) and you have to rotate the tyres frequently as the tyres wear more on the front - if the diameters get out of sync the AWD starts to judder.

I purchased a spare tyre to replace the tyre inflation kit; the well in the boot will not accommodate a full-size spare.

Edited by Custard Avenger

On 17/11/2019 at 15:22, Cliff&Jackie said:

I had an XC90 as a courtesy car for a few weeks and did a 'u' turn putting one of the front wheels on the verge where it just sat spinning! That was a 4wd!

We now have an Audi A6 allroad which is excellent.

Cliff

My brothers Grandson worked for Subaru in the USA. A few years ago he had to organise a 'Dealer Demonstration' to show how good the Subaru 4wd is. He had set up a ramp - on one side was rollers and on the other side a textured metal surface.

The Subaru just drove up it but I don't think that any other 4wd could. So I suppose that unless the diffs can be locked that's what happens

Alan 

6 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

My brothers Grandson worked for Subaru in the USA. A few years ago he had to organise a 'Dealer Demonstration' to show how good the Subaru 4wd is. He had set up a ramp - on one side was rollers and on the other side a textured metal surface.

The Subaru just drove up it but I don't think that any other 4wd could. So I suppose that unless the diffs can be locked that's what happens

Alan 

Subaru use more sophisticated 4wd systems than most other "smart" systems - and most models have limited slip diffs, making them a joy to drive enthusiastically on tarmac as well as more conservatively off-road - if only they made economical engines!