Sign in to follow this  
Duffy

Ford Kuga 180ps awd manual diesel wheels/tyres

Hi 

I am thinking about purchasing a Ford Kuga 180bhp Manual AWD Diesel  ST-LINE EDITION .Towing a Swift freesyle 4 berth.

The car model in question has 19inch wheels tyres 235/45 I think these are low profile tyres, are these wheel sizes and tyres ok suitable for towing. I have seen forums where some people say they are great and no problem for towing and others saying they are not very good going into all sorts of technical detail why they aren't very good.

Anyone got first hand experience of towing with this Ford Kuga model with respect to the wheels and tyres.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Best regards

Duffy

I tow with a Kuga, a 150 hp 2wd Titanium.  Excellent tow car.  Very stable with my Bailey Unicorn Cabrera...  

A couple of years ago I had to borrow a Kuga with a towbar whilst my S-Max was having some work done and although I enjoyed driving the Kuga (180ps with 19" wheels) I did find that it felt a bit hard and jiggly when the van was on the back but I guess that some of it may have be due to the shorter wheelbase than my S-Max (180ps with 17" wheels) as well as the low profile tyres. 

I still fancy a Kuga but I personally would opt for smaller wheels with fatter tyres. My wife wont let me have one, she likes the S-Max (this one is my fourth since 2009)

My bro is on his third Kuga and reckons that smaller wheels with fatter tyres are much more comfortable.

Again, it's just an opinion, others will differ

6 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

I tow with a Kuga, a 150 hp 2wd Titanium.  Excellent tow car.  Very stable with my Bailey Unicorn Cabrera...  

what wheels and tyres has it got?

Edited by matelodave

My Kuga has 235/55/R17 tyres.  It's a brilliant towcar with or without the caravan, with an excellent 'stable' ride.

Incidentally it's an automatic, my first, and I would never wish to tow with a manual again.

My last Kuga had 18 inch wheels, not a problem except the tyres cost a lot more.

1 hour ago, Duffy said:

Hi 

I am thinking about purchasing a Ford Kuga 180bhp Manual AWD Diesel  ST-LINE EDITION .Towing a Swift freesyle 4 berth.

The car model in question has 19inch wheels tyres 235/45 I think these are low profile tyres, are these wheel sizes and tyres ok suitable for towing. I have seen forums where some people say they are great and no problem for towing and others saying they are not very good going into all sorts of technical detail why they aren't very good.

Anyone got first hand experience of towing with this Ford Kuga model with respect to the wheels and tyres.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Best regards

Duffy

Not the same model Kuga but the same wheel and tyre size towing a 1500kg MTPLM caravan. Excellent tow car. The tyres present no issue at all. I have recently changed all four tyres from the original factory fit Continentals to Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen2 SUV.

Having driven and towed with both 17" and 19" on the Kuga 180 awd  I'd much prefer the 17".

I think there's a noticeable improvement in ride comfort on non-motorway roads, less "tramlining" and nowhere near as harsh a ride over badly made-up or potholed surfaces.  Equally applicable solo or towing.  

Unless driving solo at the limit I find negligible difference in stability. 

I've tried Continentals and Michelins - again, no major differences and no cause for concern wet or dry.

I find the Kuga very stable and capable for towing. 

Hope this helps.

We had a B6 Passat Estate (the bullseye rear lights) 2L 140TDi Highline which came with 235/45R17 wheels. Lovely ride, towed very well. Front tyres about 26K.

Then we got a B7 (all LED/HID lights) 2L 140TDi BMT which had 235/40R18 wheels. It was a hard ride and wore out the front Conti Contact 5P tyres in 22K miles.

We now have a B8 2L 150GT TDI BMT and we are back to a superbly smooth and quiet ride, grips well, and we've just clocked 31K (with about 4mm to go) on the Cinturato P7s.

I have never liked Pirelli tyres but I have to say these are really quite good. The other two cars I replaced the tyres with Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2* and AS3 and they were brilliant. Gripped well, towed well, and lasted well. When the time comes I'm not sure which was to go - maybe more P7s or maybe AS5 as they are now.

*Prior to that I had used Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and they just would not work and didn't last. The car came with a mix of tyres which didn't handle well and were noisy so I took it back and they fitted a set of Nexen N4000. I have to say that for a budget tyre they were superb. Perhaps a little unsure-footed sometimes in the wet, but they gave a very smooth and quiet ride and they gripped like you know what under other conditions.

2 hours ago, matelodave said:

A couple of years ago I had to borrow a Kuga with a towbar whilst my S-Max was having some work done and although I enjoyed driving the Kuga (180ps with 19" wheels) I did find that it felt a bit hard and jiggly when the van was on the back but I guess that some of it may have be due to the shorter wheelbase than my S-Max (180ps with 17" wheels) as well as the low profile tyres. 

I still fancy a Kuga but I personally would opt for smaller wheels with fatter tyres. My wife wont let me have one, she likes the S-Max (this one is my fourth since 2009)

My bro is on his third Kuga and reckons that smaller wheels with fatter tyres are much more comfortable.

Again, it's just an opinion, others will differ

what wheels and tyres has it got?

Mine has the 17" wheels without low profile tyres, deliberate choice on my part... I hate larger dia wheels with low profile tyres.  I don't want to be paying out on alloy wheel repairs, and the ride on low profile on UK roads is much worse...

Edited by Guzzilazz

45 profile on a 235 section tyre isn't too bad.

Have a test drive and try for yourself.

• +1 1

42 minutes ago, logiclee said:

45 profile on a 235 section tyre isn't too bad.

Have a test drive and try for yourself.

:o my OE tyres were 19x 265/50 but very harsh, much more comfortable on 17x 245/65

4 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

:o my OE tyres were 19x 265/50 but very harsh, much more comfortable on 17x 245/65

All relative and dependent on the suspension setup.  Some Fiesta's come with 195/40's

As Lee says the ride and towing stability depends on both tyres and suspension.

Only way to establish whether its suitable for you is to take a test drive over roads you usually use.

235/45 is not really low profile - as you are probably aware the tyre wall is the first number (the width) multiplied by the second number as a percentage, so 45% of 235 is 105.75mm.

My Passat has exactly the same size and they certainly don’t look or feel low profile in-use although mine only has 18” wheels (assume you’re tyres are more stretched in some way).

What matters more is does the manufacturer ensure the spring and damper rates are appropriate for the wheel and tyre combination and in this respect Ford have been getting it spot on for nearly a quarter of a century (thank a chap called Richard Parry Jones).

It’s worth mentioning that tyre walls that are too-tall risk inducing too much flex - lovely in a blancmange less so in something that needs to go around corners, especially with an extra 100kg sitting on it and 1500kg + pushing against the back of the car!

I have exactly the same model Kuga with the same 19" alloy wheels and 235/45 tyres.  Excellent towcar - tows our Dethleffs (MPTLM 1500kg) very smoothly.