Sign in to follow this  
lazydaze

The Old Brick Kilns Fakenham Norfolk

Hi,  Starting to plan for the new year and came across the above site which online  seems very nice , if you have stayed at this site I would be grateful for your comments.

:Thankyou:

Have you looked at the reviews on ukcampsite?

We stayed there many years ago when it was run by Tony and Tessa. Lovely site.

However it was bought (may have been more than once) by someone else and the charges went - shall we say up a bit plus limitations on minimum stays and the like. Adults only - which it wasn't in our day.

• Like 1

I stayed there this summer, It's a really nice site. Very modern and clean facilities, there is a restaurant on site which opens 3 days a week and you can take food away if you wish.

There is a small site shop selling a good selection of food and basic caravan accessories.

The site is  over 3 levels separated by trees so which ever area you are in it never feels busy, there is also an adults only area with around 20 pitches on it.

There is practically no TV reception but the fully serviced pitches do offer a coax aerial point on the bollards.

The road leading to the site is extremely narrow. It only services the site so you don't have to worry about meeting another caravan on the way down as there are strict leaving and arrival times.

There is also a separate field offering a caravan and motorhome cl site of 5 fully serviced pitches separated by tall hedges with their own facilities block.

Hope this helps

Dan.

Edited by Danuk

Probably one of, if not the worst site I have been on.  Queues to use the Loos; dirty facilities and a pitch which was so small I had to reverse well into the bushes to clear the road.  Never again ta.

7 minutes ago, SamD said:

Probably one of, if not the worst site I have been on.  Queues to use the Loos; dirty facilities and a pitch which was so small I had to reverse well into the bushes to clear the road.  Never again ta.

so you didn't like it there?

1 minute ago, matelodave said:

so you didn't like it there?

Ha ha!  It didn't help following my letter of complaint after my visit, when the receptionist (I presume) sent my letter as an email attachment asking how they should respond, back to me instead of to the 'boss'!

It reminded me of an event many years ago when our regiment had a 'visiting Padre' who loved a drink or ten.  Our CO had to countersign his monthly allowances sheet but got so annoyed with the situation that in a fit of temper he wrote on the sheet that this drunkard was unworthy of his position and should not be paid.  The allowances sheet was posted to the Padre not the Div HQ!!

We stayed there a couple of years ago in November to attend the Thursford Christmas Spectacular which is nearby. It had been very wet and we were initially directed to a pitch which was partially under water.  We were eventually allocated  another pitch but were made to feel that we were being unreasonable.  Apart from that, we enjoyed our stay and if we were to return to the area (unlikely), would happily use the site again.

John M

The one thing with the adults only section is that the kids still run and ride their bikes through it negating the 'only' part of the title. Very tight entrance road as already said. Although it is a reasonable site, would I go back, well no I don't think I would.

We stayed there a week this summer.

Pleasant enough, pitches vary, many seasonals, some shaded as part wooded site, 7/10  dog walking, popular tent field.

Fishing will deeply disappoint, very very badly silted up overgrown tatty puddle, and they charged ! 

Fair site access and general location.

New toilet block, but old fashioned layout - great pity.

Basically well kept. Super smart CL within site - how & why allowed ?

Popular / regulars site hence not cheap in peak season.

16 hours ago, WispMan said:

Have you looked at the reviews on UKCS?

Hi , yes looked at reviews on Pitchup which  states 85/90% in favour this in my opinion appears on the high side , I prefer to rely on comments from  forum members with personal hands on experience and unbiased views.

I thank you for all of your comments, so far we have 3 for and 3 against a revisit!

:Thankyou:

We  spent a week there end of August 2018 on the adults section and 5 nights this September in the family section and enjoyed it.  Both times we changed pitches just because we preferred a different one, the second time they offered to move the van for us as we had to rush off and were very pleasant both times.  I suspect in high season it's very busy but was ok for us and full of children in August, who stayed well away from the adults section.  

Many of the pitches are pre-selected by regulars so if you know what you want specify when you book.

Watch out for overhanging trees, very noisy in the rain!   If we wanted to revisit this area  we would stay there again.

I visited the site when we stayed in Norfolk.  Personally, I thought it was way too massive for my tastes.  Great for families.