Storage on drive.

I like your caravan, Griff. Neat idea to convert it from an old train carriage, recycling is definitely the way to go. Must need some tug to pull it, though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was originally but now we have bought it and are quite settled as you can see.

We keep ours in storage primarily as we think they look unsightly stuck in front of a lot of houses and can usually affect a neighbours outlook.   Some that I have seen stored in front of ho

Will send you a snap Lozzy once I've run the Dyson around. 

Posted Images

I only brings our back from storage to give it a clean and pack up for a trip. Always make a point of bumping into my neighbour just tell them it’s going to be there for a couple of days. Just seems polite and means they do keep an eye open for any unwanted visitors!!

Just thinking about it, I could leave it on the drive but prefer to keep in storage as mentioned in other posts if it ain’t there they are away type scenario, but then 9 times out of 10 I take it home prior to a trip so kinda negates that plan don’t you think....

Griff, at least you don’t have to cut the grass👍

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Or option two......

20191114_081411-1536x782.thumb.png.bf34fcc94bb6ea237817954c7b26f080.png

Makes me wonder what the inside is like!!!
  our caravan is on the drive and is a bit of an eyesore for us but as we have 6’ hedging all round the neighbours cant really see it . . . I’m on the same page as a lot of others in so much as if it wasn’t we wouldn’t go out in it so often.

I have heard from other folk that there are covenants preventing  caravans stored at properties and I do think there was one on ours for the first 12 months after the build along with no conservatories ?? . . . . .there are now plenty of  conservatories and a few caravans  

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

First thing anyone should do before keeping a caravan or motorhome at home is check for covenants in their house deeds which prohibit it, or restrict it to being behind the building line.

Some covenants are planning related, which put in place by the Local Council, and where these exist, the Councils usually enforce them.

Most covenants are Builders covenants, which they put in place on new building sites so that prospective buyers later in the development are not put off by caravans in view.

Usually, when sites are completed, Builders would not then have any interest in wasting money taking people to Court over it, but a neighbour could do so if they felt strongly enough about it and had the resources to do so. In these cases, a word with those neighbours affected would be advisable, although just because they have no objection today doesn't mean that they, or a subsequent new owner,  wouldn't object in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when we bought our bungalow, the drive is enough for 4 cars, so we thought great we can put the caravan there, but like the old car parks the width is not  very wide. 

We have a couple of small caravans parked in driveways here , it doesn't seem to bother anyone or me. 

39 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

Makes me wonder what the inside is like!!! 

Will send you a snap Lozzy once I've run the Dyson around. ;)

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 4

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Nice riposte! 

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Keen gardener then:D

We have started storing our caravan up the side of our bungalow ( we are still paying our storage fees just in case) , it is very tight and boxed in on 3 sides and can only be seen from the front of our private drive, the developer convents  restrict the parking of trailers, caravans, motorhome , vans, the fitting of roof ariels and satellite dishes for the first 5 years. ( the developer can grant permission, but made it quite clear when they have left site and sold they are no longer interested , any parties which have a problem will have to sort it out between their own solicitors )

We assumed one particular neighbour would have complained, but quite the reverse they have not batted a eyelid in fact they bring back our dustbin. There at least 10 commercial vehicles on our 45 development plus the majority have satellite dishes.

When we are away the neighbours park on our drive.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

In the 1960s, if I remember correctly, the Caravan Club claimed to have lobbied the government during the passage of through Parliament of the Caravan Sites and Control Development Act 1960.  Under a section of the Act householders, in general terms subject to local authority regulations and any covenants on the property, were permitted to park  a caravan on the property.

By the late 1960s the practical effect of the Act was caravans being parked on properties on 3 digit A roads such as the A240 in Surbiton.

16 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

In the 1960s, if I remember correctly, the Caravan Club claimed to have lobbied the government during the passage of through Parliament of the Caravan Sites and Control Development Act 1960.  Under a section of the Act householders, in general terms subject to local authority regulations and any covenants on the property, were permitted to park  a caravan on the property.

By the late 1960s the practical effect of the Act was caravans being parked on properties on 3 digit A roads such as the A240 in Surbiton.

And more recently than that as I remember it so after '83 - there is a basic right to do whatever you want within the "curtilage" of your own home, ie your own property, provided it's legal and doesn't offend public decency.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

My attitude is it’s MY house (and surrounding land) so it’s up to me how I utilise it provided of course it doesn’t affect other people’s health and we’ll being.

Fortunately your attitude is not that of the majority of society or of the law (in this country at least). There are things called planning regulations without which most towns would soon look like Soweto or equivalent suburbs in India and Brazil. Being "British" would not stop that any more, in fact you can find plenty of localised examples of shanty development and the associated planning battles right here now.

The debate here should be about whether van storage should be covered by those planning regulations.

• Like 1

we have a decent sized drive and ours is on the drive  but out of the way to the side and by a hedge, load of room around it to access things and my neighbours are fine but no i wouldnt care if they werent as its our house and my drive, i must admit im very luck to have fab neighbours  and a corner house so not affecting anyone

Edited by robbie244
  • I agree completely 1
2 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

When we are away the neighbours park on our drive.

We used to invite the neighbour to do this occasionally believing it would confuse or mislead anyone snooping. We got home one year in the stinking rain to find a car on the drive entrance which wasn't the neighbours. It was his mate's who had left it there "for a day or so" but forgot about it. I couldn't get the car and caravan in and I was hopping mad!

• Like 1

Ern

11 minutes ago, Ern said:

We used to invite the neighbour to do this occasionally believing it would confuse or mislead anyone snooping. We got home one year in the stinking rain to find a car on the drive entrance which wasn't the neighbours. It was his mate's who had left it there "for a day or so" but forgot about it. I couldn't get the car and caravan in and I was hopping mad!

The neighbour are friends  they sort out access by text.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Fortunately we've got a drive that will comfortably accommodate two caravans and 5 cars (six if we push it a bit) and we dont have neighbours close enough on our side of the road to bother anyway.  The only fly in the ointment is the pillock over the road who lives with his wife in a static caravan in his MILs front garden, they have two obnoxious dogs and park his van and two cars on the road dead opposite out gate so we cant get the van out without getting him to shift it all. The reason he parks on the road is because he cant be bothered to open the gate.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

6 hours ago, Griff said:

Thanks for that Griff, I almost wet myself! Best laugh I've had for a while  :D

• Like 1

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

There's nothing quite as "British" as being offended on other peoples behalf, worrying about whether others don't approve of what you're doing whereas 99.9% of them really don't give a monkey's and the remaining 0.1% are probably jealous. 

If you want to store it at home or away from home really is down to personal preference and whether you wish to abide by any legal restrictions. 

Mine is at home and I don't have any problems with those that choose not to. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

36 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

There's nothing quite as "British" as being offended on other peoples behalf, worrying about whether others don't approve of what you're doing whereas 99.9% of them really don't give a monkey's and the remaining 0.1% are probably jealous. 

If you want to store it at home or away from home really is down to personal preference and whether you wish to abide by any legal restrictions. 

Mine is at home and I don't have any problems with those that choose not to. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

Youre right, it doesnt make it right or wrong but thinking about other people around you and caring what impact it may have on them. A caravan parked down the side of a house isn't an issue but one crammed into someones front garden may be? theyre not particularly nice to look at  and whilst I could park mine down the side of my garage without it protruding at all, I choose to keep it in storage for many reasons including consideration for others.

My previous post about checking covenants was from personal experience.

I knew there was a covenant in our deeds, so I rang the Planning Office and they sent a Building Inspector out to advise regarding the position we wanted to store our van, which would be outside the building line.

He said the Covenant was not a planning one so the Local Council had no interest and wouldn’t take any action if a neighbour approached them to object.

He also advised that the Builder would have no interest, partly because the estate had been completed for some time, but more particularly because he was no longer in business.

I asked his advice, and he said what he would do (he was also a caravaner!) is consult those neighbours who would physically see the van from their properties, and if none objected, just do it.

Thats what I did and have had no issues for over 35 years, even with several new neighbours arriving over the years.

However, I remain aware that any neighbour could object in the future but I’ll cross that bridge if ever it arises.

3 hours ago, Minion 63 said:

What makes you so sure Griff is joking ????? ;)

It doesn't worry me, I don't live near him. :rolleyes:

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

2 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

My previous post about checking covenants was from personal experience.

I knew there was a covenant in our deeds, so I rang the Planning Office and they sent a Building Inspector out to advise regarding the position we wanted to store our van, which would be outside the building line.

He said the Covenant was not a planning one so the Local Council had no interest and wouldn’t take any action if a neighbour approached them to object.

He also advised that the Builder would have no interest, partly because the estate had been completed for some time, but more particularly because he was no longer in business.

I asked his advice, and he said what he would do (he was also a caravaner!) is consult those neighbours who would physically see the van from their properties, and if none objected, just do it.

Thats what I did and have had no issues for over 35 years, even with several new neighbours arriving over the years.

However, I remain aware that any neighbour could object in the future but I’ll cross that bridge if ever it arises.

Our local council took over the covenants from the builder, and even after 30+ years still actively enforce them! 28 days to load, clean and unload! 
One of my neighbours counts the nights and keeps the council updated!

• I do not understand 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Some properties, especially new builds, will have what are called restrictive covenants on saying you can’t have white van/caravan/Motorhome on property. On the plus side, the only people who can enforce these are the people who created the covenants!!

Sorry, hadn’t seen the earlier posts about the covenants :unsure:

16 hours ago, matelodave said:

Fortunately we've got a drive that will comfortably accommodate two caravans and 5 cars . . .

The only fly in the ointment is the . . . two cars on the road dead opposite our gate so we cant get the van out without getting him to shift it all. 

I have a similar problem with inconsiderate parking directly opposite our house - particularly by non-residents who work locally. We can get three cars on the drive and (if it were empty) another in the garage with a further eight or nine beside and behind the house (I know because we've done it) but the problem is that with vehicles opposite it is nigh on impossible to align a vehicle to access our narrow driveway, and it takes a degree of to-ing and fro-ing with an obstruction opposite.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.