jjohnd

Storage on drive.

Knowing that some  neighbours object to caravans being stored on Drives, do Motorhome owners have the same complaints?

Sorry I have no idea, as I have caravan that I store on the drive, but a neighbour does have a motorhome, which he keeps on a shared parking area at rear of houses(he doesn't have driveway), not aware he has had any issues,.

I would imagine the best thing to do would be to Talk to your neighbours and see what their reaction is,  if you are planning to get a motorhome and  park it at home; but if parked so as not to block peoples views/ light I can't imagine most reasonable people would object. 

Never thought about anyone being upset about my caravan on my property.

Mine made a third one as two others had their caravans on their properties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Never thought about anyone being upset about my caravan on my property.

Mine made a third one as two others had their caravans on their properties.

I personally wouldnt mind if it was down the side of a house or round the back of a house but at the front it would be an absolute eyesore.

• Like 1

When we moved recently, we asked our new neighbours about parking our motorhome out at the front and nobody was in the least bothered. However while there is a parking space for it which is out of the way for us, it advertises when we go away, so its kept in storage.

• Like 2

Ours is at the half down the side and half on the front. If folks don't like it they should look elsewhere. I don't ask for their approval on the colour of my car/pattern of our curtains/choice of bedding plants so I certainly don't want their opinions on a plain white vehicle parked on my property.

We are all different but I see a caravan as no different to a large white van. Providing it isn't blocking someone's view/access it really is nothing to do with them.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

38 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I see a caravan as no different to a large white van

That's funny - I am allergic to white vans.

16 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

That's funny - I am allergic to white vans.

It hides my home made nuclear waste storage depot and abattoir. 

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Haha 1

We keep ours in storage primarily as we think they look unsightly stuck in front of a lot of houses and can usually affect a neighbours outlook.

Some that I have seen stored in front of houses particulary with small frontages must affect the natural light reaching the owners house and maybe that of the neighbours next door?

As it would impact on one of our neighbours view from their dining room, I would not inflict the sight of our caravan upon them and would hope that they (if they had one) would not inflict theirs upon us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

I used to work in Germany quite regularly  (Berlin and Ottobrunn) and was surprised at the amount of unattached caravans and trailers parked at the side of the road. Apparently it's a common place to store them over there where the owners don't have room on their drive or don't have a drive.

Due to local councils rules & regulations I have to park my caravan past the frontage of my property so as not to be seen. It is a bit tight though.

SAM_0006 - Copy (2016_02_23 07_24_22 UTC).JPG

• Like 1

mine is at home. Had a caravan port erected to keep as much rain off as possible. It is at the end of the garden

and cannot be seen from the front. With a hedge some 6ft tall behind and neighbours bushes it can hardly be seen from behind but they did plat some cane on their side, but he is a bit weird. With the garage along side it is difficult to see from anywhere but from the neighbours to one side but they have a 6ft fence and don't use the garden.

A caravan like perhaps any large vehicle that is just outside the neighbours window can be a bit of an eyesore for them and so the I don't care attitude of a previous post,  don't support. I own a caravan and I would not like one just outside my living room window that I can see every time I look out.  If I cant see it from settee in my living room then it probably would not bother me

macafee2

• Like 1

Like the three other caravans in short walking distance of us, ours is parked on the raised driveway to the side of our house. We never gave it a second thought, and wouldn't for a second contemplated putting it in storage. We wanted our van where we could get it ready for quick get aways on Friday afternoons. Besides, after nearly two decades of having to listen to the noise of  seemingly endless building of extensions/loft conversions etc. - odd how a three bedroom semi isn't big enough anymore, despite the fact that the families living in them are considerably smaller than when the houses here were built eighty years ago - I'm not about to fret about the presence of my our caravan sited on our drive. As pp have said, if neighbours don't like it,  they can look elsewhere. 

20 minutes ago, Doosan said:

. It is a bit tight though.

I presume you have a mover to manoeuvre your van in there; if you edged it in with your car then I bow down in admiration to your reversing  skills! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jjohnd said:

Knowing that some  neighbours object to caravans being stored on Drives, do Motorhome owners have the same complaints?

Problems can be similar to those experienced by caravan owners if neighbours take offence, or local councils impose restrictions.

9 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I personally wouldnt mind if it was down the side of a house or round the back of a house but at the front it would be an absolute eyesore.

One of our neighbours at our last house had a motorhome that was used as his only vehicle. It was always parked on the driveway as I doubt it would have fitted in his garage. As far as I'm aware, it was never an issue for anybody living nearby.

9 hours ago, thebriars said:

However while there is a parking space for it which is out of the way for us, it advertises when we go away, so its kept in storage.

We've had a number of caravans and motorhomes and they've all been stored at home. If we had the inconvenience of having to store them elsewhere, we probably would choose alternative holiday accommodation. Of course it is obvious to locals when the MH is not there BUT that only indicates the absence of the motorhome, not necessarily the house owners. I have often taken the caravans or motorhomes away alone, leaving the house occupied; similarly my wife and I have gone away leaving our offspring in residence, so lights will be on in the evenings and  other vehicles on our property will come and go in our absence.

image.png

Previously there was a caravan stored where this MH now is, and it's a lot less offensive than the option below.

image.png

9 hours ago, thebriars said:

When we moved recently, we asked our new neighbours about parking our motorhome out at the front and nobody was in the least bothered. However while there is a parking space for it which is out of the way for us, it advertises when we go away, so its kept in storage.

That’s an interesting point that I had not considered before from a security perspective as it not being there clearly advertises that you are away. I am left with no choice but to use storage as our modern house has enough room at the rear to store a caravan but no way of getting to it due to the lack of large gaps between the houses.

3 minutes ago, Susan D said:

I presume you have a mover to manoeuvre your van in there; if you edged it in with your car then I bow down in admiration to your reversing  skills! :D

Yes, you are right Susan. I can reverse quiet good but not the good...lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Due to local councils rules & regulations I have to park my caravan past the frontage of my property so as not to be seen. It is a bit tight though.

SAM_0006 - Copy (2016_02_23 07_24_22 UTC).JPG

If that were mine I would have to leave the front window open as we would DEFINITELY remember we would need something out of it after we had parked it!

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

If that were mine I would have to leave the front window open as we would DEFINITELY remember we would need something out of it after we had parked it!

The bonus of parking my caravan like this is that the caravans door lines up perfectly with my rear gate, so we load the caravan completely out of sight of prying eyes. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Judging by the open skylight, I guess the access door must be behind the building.

Edit:

Simultaneous posting with Doosan :D

• Like 1

I've never lost any sleep about parking the caravan on the drive in front of the garage, which is only used for storage - it's more convenient for loading, unloading and doing odd jobs - we do have plenty of room as we're at the end of a shared drive - we don't worry about the caravan being missing when we're away because the car is missing as well which gives it away anyway.

I have only been burgled once (1999). The burglars put most of our possesions under the caravan so they could return later to collect them!

My attitude is it’s MY house (and surrounding land) so it’s up to me how I utilise it provided of course it doesn’t affect other people’s health and we’ll being. I personally dislike the colour of (some) other people’s cars, does that mean they shouldn’t own one? 

For the record my caravan is stored alongside my house. It is totally invisible from the road and is not in anyone’s line of sight other than one neighbours (frosted glass) bathroom window. Neighbours nearby also have caravans, some alongside their houses, some in front. Their houses, their choice.

Near to me is Charlie boys “Poundbury” development. There are something like 7 A4 pages of covenants that the Duchy RIGOROUSLY enforce. One of them is a total ban on caravans or motorhomes ANYWHERE on householders property. The owners have paid a lot of money and it’s their property so what the ???? gives the Duchy of Cornwall the right to say what the can, and more pertinently, what they cannot, have in their property?  Big brother or what? 

Live and let live.

Andy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gordon said:

...........and it's a lot less offensive than the option below.

image.png

Or option two......

20191114_081411-1536x782.thumb.png.bf34fcc94bb6ea237817954c7b26f080.png

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Or option two......

20191114_081411-1536x782.thumb.png.bf34fcc94bb6ea237817954c7b26f080.png

Now I would put a large some of money on that being a council house!!

Am I right? 

Andy

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

Now I would put a large some of money on that being a council house!!

Am I right? 

Andy

Was originally but now we have bought it and are quite settled as you can see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10