Dobloseven

Michelin Crossclimate SUV?

Going to get some new wheels for the Korando under the warranty due to  slight corrosion. The original tyres(Nexen) have done 37k miles over more than three years so thought I might as well get some new ones at the same time. Heard nothing but good about the Crossclimates so thought that's what to go for. However looking for prices on the interweb,it seems there's Crossclimate + and also Crossclimate SUV. In the size I want the speed and load rating is the same for both but the SUV is a bit dearer. Any thoughts or experiences?Black circles seems the cheapest. The dealer can't get anywhere close to their price,so I'll probably just get the tyres delivered to me and the fitting will be sorted when I take the car to get the wheels changed over.

37k on an SUV - seems quite good so why change away from Nexen. We have them on our Kia Sorento and  are quite pleased with them and in fact when we had our first service recently at 8k miles the dealer said that on checking the tyre depth there was negligible difference from new. Considering that most of our mileage on our Sorento is towing, it seems very good to me.

Alan

I've been happy with the Nexens. The car had its first Mot in November and third service in December and no comments were made about tyre wear. Some have complained of tread cracking,but there's none of that. I've changed them front to rear twice to equalize wear(4wd) and I think there's still a few thousand miles left. I've heard such good things about the Crossclimates though,that I thought I'd give them a try. Have used Michelins on my work car since almost new and been 100% happy as well.

Heard nothing but good about the crossclimates and we will probably get some after the current tires wears out.

We had Michelin Cross Climates on our previous Jeep Grand Cherokee and road holding in wet weather was fantastic.   Wanted to fit them to our newer Jeep GC but no 20" available so fitted Continental.   They are okay but would not fit them again.

Don't think Crossclimates work with very low profiles which I believe is why only certain sizes are available. Happy to be corrected though. Just wondering what the difference is between + and SUV. Apart from the price!

9 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Don't think Crossclimates work with very low profiles which I believe is why only certain sizes are available. Happy to be corrected though. Just wondering what the difference is between + and SUV. Apart from the price!

From what I can see it's tread pattern and, for SUV, additional size and load rating varieties to cater for the ever broadening SUV market. They do have some low profiles but width and rim sizes are limited.

Edited by Legal Eagle

What ever you go for just make sure it meets the winter tyre regulations if you intend going abroad .

Dave

I have them fitted and they were excellent in last years 'Beast from The East' snow.  

Try Asda tyres, they were the  cheapest and you pick the fitter local to you.

One of our Octavia's came with Nexen N Fera's when new.   After 20k miles they were only half worn. But they were pretty harsh, not great in the wet and obviously rubbish in winter. So I decided to change them.

Swapped these for Crossclimates and they are just in a different league for ride, noise, wet grip and of course winter driving. I suppose you could say they should be for nearly double the price but sometimes you get what you pay for.

A slightly cheaper option is the Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen-2.   I have these on another Octavia, they are slightly more winter biased having sipes for better ice grip. The payoff is not as much turn in bite on hot dry tarmac.  

I still swap Summer/Winters on the Passat but I won't  when the current tyres are worn out. The new breed of all seasons are good enough for 99% of UK drivers in my opinion.

I just wish more people would make the change. I still get stuck in traffic due to stranded vehicles on summer tyres in snow. In most of Europe that would lead to a fine.

• Like 1

I have cross climates on my Kia Rio and crossclimate suv on the Touareg.  

The only difference I can see is that the gap on the treads looks larger on the SUV but that may just be due to the fact they are 275 45 R20 rather than the much smaller 16 inch rims on the Kia.  

The Kia has done a full year and performed great in all weathers, Touareg has only had its new boots for a couple of months so not been properly tested yet but much better in the cold than the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verdes it came with.  

Mike

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:15, Dobloseven said:

Available down to 35 Series now

Anyone used Nokian All weather ones? 

I've got a set of cross climates suv on my xc60. I believe the only real difference to the + is stronger sidewalls for the extra weight, so they are probably wise to have when we travel with pretty loaded cars and 60-100kg of caravan nose weight.  

Can't really rate them to much yet, since they only went on about 2 months ago, but the car hasn't got stuck in the recent bad weather we've had.

10 hours ago, Benny65 said:

Anyone used Nokian All weather ones? 

If you class Cross Climates as a Summer Tyre with winter abilities the Nokian is a winter tyre that will be OK through Summer.

So probably suited to those who live in the higher regions of the North and Scotland.

Edited by logiclee
  • Thanks 1

Went into the local tyre place we usually use today. They said the SUV would have stiffer sidewalls to cope with the greater weight transfer on a taller vehicle when cornering etc. despite the load ratings being the same. Anyway,they're getting me 4 SUVs  for tomorrow at less than Blackcircles are charging for the +s,and of course there's no carriage to pay and no need to be in for them to be delivered as the tyre place is on my travels anyway. Will then have to arrange with the dealer to swap the wheels over. Hopefully they'll be paying for the fitting,balancing etc.

• Like 1

Ive just had 6 new crossclimate m+s 3mp symbol 21/20  fitted to our moho. 225/70/16. last week in the snow must say very impressed. did have michelin agila camper greens and where no where near as good in just the heavy rain. but the do have a big block.

All done and dusted.Took the car up to the supplying dealer last week and got the new wheels and tyres fitted.Only had to pay for the disposal of the old tyres.Don't notice much difference really,there might be a little bit more noise on some surfaces,ride might be slightly better.Economy wise,I did a rather unscientific test of resetting the trip meter before setting out on the 100plus mile journey up north on the old tyres.On arrival after getting lost a couple of times the average was a very spurious 54mpg.After resetting for the home journey on the new tyres and taking a detour to look at a car we might be interested in the reading was an equally spurious 53mpg.Took the caravan away over the weekend to a sloping grass site hoping for bad weather to see how they coped.On arrival warden warned us not to go too far down the slope because it was very wet.We complied only to find it wasn't very wet at all anyway and to have our view blocked by motor homes parking in front of us who had disregarded his advice.We spent the weekend praying for torrential rain so we could hopefully watch the smug so and sos get stuck and we could give the tyres a good test as well.No such luck though!

13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

All done and dusted.Took the car up to the supplying dealer last week and got the new wheels and tyres fitted.Only had to pay for the disposal of the old tyres.Don't notice much difference really,there might be a little bit more noise on some surfaces,ride might be slightly better.

What brand of tyre did you eventually settle on?  We used to keep our old tyres and pile them on top of one another, fill with soil and grow potatoes.  Another use was to cut them in half and use them as a flower box.  Lastly cut in half and use them as a retaining wall on a sloping lawn.  Can't do that now though.  :D

Went for the Crossclimate SUVs in the end.

1 hour ago, indyflick said:

Going to get some new wheels for the Korando under the warranty due to  slight corrosion. The original tyres(Nexen) have done 37k miles over more than three years so thought I might as well get some new ones at the same time. Heard nothing but good about the Crossclimates so thought that's what to go for. However looking for prices on the interweb,it seems there's Crossclimate + and also Crossclimate SUV. In the size I want the speed and load rating is the same for both but the SUV is a bit dearer. Any thoughts or experiences?Black circles seems the cheapest. The dealer can't get anywhere close to their price,so I'll probably just get the tyres delivered to me and the fitting will be sorted when I take the car to get the wheels changed over.

Try Kwikfit online, and look for a discount code(found one from the Daily Mail of all places for an extra 10%).

I dont usually go to Kwikfit, but they were the cheapest and that included fitting. £130 a corner plus 10% off and I pre booked the fitting so I could go at lunchtime.

Cant help you with the SUV bit, but my Volvo has heavy duty tyres fitted and are normally more expensive.

If you purchase from Blackcircles you can opt for fitting to be included at a fitting centre of your choice at a time of your choice!

Andy

I'm not sure what the difference is, but my XC60 has CrossClimate SUV while my wife's V40 has CrossClimate+.

The only visual difference is a slightly different sidewall pattern and the obvious: both are 17" alloys but the V40 has a much lower profile tyre.

With Blackcircles you're very dependent on the local fitter - since you get the choice, research them carefully as a few are rubbish!

I've used Oponeo for the last few sets of tyres - very good prices and quick delivery even when shipped half way across Europe.

I'll be getting a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 SUV when my OE tyres need replacing.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

I kind of guessed the answer - CrossClimate SUV is for SUVs and 4x4s and CrossClimate + is for normal passenger cars. There is no real difference other than the fitments. 

I think CrossClimate+ is a newer variant of the CrossClimate as both appear on the Michelin Website.