Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Cycle innovations / inventions

A rather entertaining video for all you cyclists out there.

HERE

• Like 1

No doubt someone will try to get the first one on a bus!

Having decent lights as standard and using them would be a good idea!

• Like 2

On 13/11/2019 at 18:42, 664DaveS said:

Having decent lights as standard and using them would be a good idea!

Yes, it's amazing how many times I've heard drivers say" B..... cyclists, you see them all the time riding at night without lights".

So, I say, if you see them, what's the problem?

I have a friend who was stopped by a Police Car driver because his lights were "too bright."

2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I have a friend who was stopped by a Police Car driver because his lights were "too bright."

and were they?  They can be badly aimed and blind other road users!

• +1 1

47 minutes ago, kelper said:

and were they?  They can be badly aimed and blind other road users!

Cars must have to have their lights properly adjusted to avoid dazzling other road users and can fail an MOT if they aren't but cyclists seem to be able to get away with anything.

Some (if not most) don't bother with lights at all and others have them stuck all over the bike, their clothing and helmets, flashing away and aimed anywhere they like. The worst are those with helmet mounted lights which point all over the place depending on where the rider is looking

46 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Cars must have to have their lights properly adjusted to avoid dazzling other road users and can fail an MOT if they aren't but cyclists seem to be able to get away with anything.

Some (if not most) don't bother with lights at all and others have them stuck all over the bike, their clothing and helmets, flashing away and aimed anywhere they like. The worst are those with helmet mounted lights which point all over the place depending on where the rider is looking

Plenty of cars on the road with defective and/or maladjusted lights. They wizz past me every morning, nearly hitting me because they can’t be bothered to clear their screens properly. Meanwhile I tootle along, emissions free, bright yellow jacket, 100 Lux correctly adjusted lights minding my own business.

And at the same time keeping myself fit and being less of a burden on the healthcare system 

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Plenty of cars on the road with defective and/or maladjusted lights. They wizz past me every morning, nearly hitting me because they can’t be bothered to clear their screens properly. Meanwhile I tootle along, emissions free, bright yellow jacket, 100 Lux correctly adjusted lights minding my own business.

Well, I obviously wasn't complaining about you or your impeccable road craft - it's all the others:rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Well, I obviously wasn't complaining about you or your impeccable road craft - it's all the others:rolleyes:

There are bellends on bikes, there are bellends in cars, to classify them all the same is surely an ‘ism’

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Haha 1

My Volt Metro LS cycle came with front and rear fitted Led lights as standard. I have also fitted 2 white marker & 2 red marker Led's. Depending on the weather & time of year, a yellow reflective windproof or waterproof jacket. (CMC members get 15% discount off everything at Mountain Warehouse).

I get flashed when driving the Outlander as it has HID's, oncoming drivers think I have high beam on. I don't and its not that they are set wrong, as the Outlander has self load leveling lights!

(no connection with Mountain Warehouse)

I doubt any cyclist, with, or without lights, correctly or badly adjusted, killed anyone in a car. Anywhere in the world.

And it hit big headlines when an idiot cyclist, riding without any brakes, killed a pedestrian who wasn't looking where she was going.

Motor vehicles, of all types, kill 2-3,000 people every year. And that's just here in the UK.

Let's keep things in perspective. Even if all cyclists were banned, 2-3,000 people would still be killed every year by motor vehicles. 

10 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I doubt any cyclist, with, or without lights, correctly or badly adjusted, killed anyone in a car. Anywhere in the world.

And it hit big headlines when an idiot cyclist, riding without any brakes, killed a pedestrian who wasn't looking where she was going.

Motor vehicles, of all types, kill 2-3,000 people every year. And that's just here in the UK.

Let's keep things in perspective. Even if all cyclists were banned, 2-3,000 people would still be killed every year by motor vehicles. 

Was the pedestrian on the pavement or walking in the road?  Sadly in the sixties I had  an acquaintance killed when an errant cyclist when a cyclist went through the windscreen of his car.  The cyclist survived.  In another case a friend's brother was killed when two cyclists collided  head on on a cycle path.  So cyclists do kill people however the thread is not about cyclists as most are excellent but accidents happen!

11 hours ago, daveat92 said:

There are many examples of people in vehicles being killed or seriously injured through the actions of cyclists.

Around 100 cyclists are killed and 3,000 seriously injured annually. Casualty figures could be significantly reduced if they were banned saving millions of pounds!;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Was the pedestrian on the pavement or walking in the road?  Sadly in the sixties I had  an acquaintance killed when an errant cyclist when a cyclist went through the windscreen of his car.  The cyclist survived.  In another case a friend's brother was killed when two cyclists collided  head on on a cycle path.  So cyclists do kill people however the thread is not about cyclists as most are excellent but accidents happen!

This was well publicised last year(?). a cyclist in London, riding a bike with no brakes at all, was going past a bus which was at a bus stop. The young lady walked out from in front of the bus, whilst either looking at her mobile phone or with earphones on and not looking  (I can't remember exactly which). Tey collided, and both fell. Unfortunately the lady died, and the cyclist was knocked unconscious. The cyclist was subsequently jailed.

So, to answer your question, both were in the road.

Yes, sadly there have been deaths where cyclists have been found to be at fault, but they are EXTREMELY rare, perhaps one or two per year, but motor vehicles are involved in thousands of deaths every year. Let's keep this in perspective.

10 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

There are many examples of people in vehicles being killed or seriously injured through the actions of cyclists.

Around 100 cyclists are killed and 3,000 seriously injured annually. Casualty figures could be significantly reduced if they were banned saving millions of pounds!;)

"Many examples..." define "many", not the thousands killed by motor vehicles EVERY year.

Cyclists being killed or seriously injured are almost invariably, the victims, not the culprits.

You could just as well, using the same logic, say that there would be no rapes of females if all females were banned, thus saving millions of pounds in police and court cases every year.

OK, let's ban cyclists and put them all in cars, then let's see the resultant congestion, pollution and increased deaths of pedestrians and other vulnerable road users.

Edited by daveat92

There were 1,784 reported road deaths in 2018, not 3,000

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/834585/reported-road-casualties-annual-report-2018.pdf

• There was a total of 160,597 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents in 2018. This is 6% lower than in 2017 and is the lowest level on record.

• Accounting for change in traffic, the rate of fatalities per billion vehicle miles has fallen by 1% from 5.43 in 2017 to 5.38 in 2018.

Edited by kelper

Flashing LED cycle lights mean the battery lasts for days and days.  And they do make cyclists visible from a mile away so you know to look out even round bends.  I feel safer on A roads with lights, even in daylight.

On the NC500 we see thousands of bikes each year and they all have lights.

Disk brakes are wonderful but have been on some bikes for decades.  I like hydraulic brakes.  My eBike doesn't have disks but is a boon in my hilly area.

On 12/11/2019 at 14:10, BOAC said:

A rather entertaining video for all you cyclists out there.

HERE

Have a look at this one, especially the road test from around 11:10

The Tesla of electric bikes LOL

• Like 1

Bought a new light for my commuter bike last week, it’s a bobby dazzler (not an oncoming driver dazzler).

Trelock LS 760 I-GO Vision, not cheap but very good.

• Like 1

Some 55 years ago, I rode my image.png.ed50029d7736f49c6e1d41177b19676d.png bike from Hampstead, North London down to Regents Park.  The route took me down a long downhill stretch, Haverstock Hill.

The bike was fitted with a Huret speedometer, driven off the front wheel.

image.png.d4689f3d37ab414bc603aeb37deb0799.png

Pedaling like fury, I got the speedo needle to go hard against the stop, so hitting the maximum indicated 60mph - it could well have been faster!

An exhilarating, but dangerous ride, a set of traffic lights changed to red in front of me and the brakes were non-effective at that speed, I went through that junction quicker than the cars crossing it got to the middle.  That was a bit scary!

I eventually slowed down by dragging a shoe along the road, as the rubber brake blocks had worn away.

Pedal and gravity power, no electric motors in the mid 1960's.

35 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Some 55 years ago, I rode my image.png.ed50029d7736f49c6e1d41177b19676d.png bike from Hampstead, North London down to Regents Park.  The route took me down a long downhill stretch, Haverstock Hill.

The bike was fitted with a Huret speedometer, driven off the front wheel.

image.png.d4689f3d37ab414bc603aeb37deb0799.png

Pedaling like fury, I got the speedo needle to go hard against the stop, so hitting the maximum indicated 60mph - it could well have been faster!

An exhilarating, but dangerous ride, a set of traffic lights changed to red in front of me and the brakes were non-effective at that speed, I went through that junction quicker than the cars crossing it got to the middle.  That was a bit scary!

I eventually slowed down by dragging a shoe along the road, as the rubber brake blocks had worn away.

Pedal and gravity power, no electric motors in the mid 1960's.

60 mph on a boneshaker, blimey, are you mental? That’s hardcore!

Fastest I’ve been (on 3 Grands worth of modern bicycle) is 85 km/h down a long, straight, steep mountain road in Spain, I could possibly have gone a touch faster but on 25mm of rubber I bottled it and slowed down.

All cyclists should have lights fitted bit like cars back in the 1950's heaters were a fitted extra the other thing that really annoys me is that we have a 2-3 mile cycle track on an A road (A15) do they use it cause they do not if you see 10 cyclists in a week using it you are lucky are these people stupid or are they just tired of living  the cycle lanes are there for there safety .To those of you using the lanes thank you at least you are safe.

Martin

22 hours ago, guinness said:

All cyclists should have lights fitted bit like cars back in the 1950's heaters were a fitted extra the other thing that really annoys me is that we have a 2-3 mile cycle track on an A road (A15) do they use it cause they do not if you see 10 cyclists in a week using it you are lucky are these people stupid or are they just tired of living  the cycle lanes are there for there safety .To those of you using the lanes thank you at least you are safe.

Martin

Cycle lanes are dangerous. Those on, or alongside foot paths have traffic turn across them, endangering cyclists.  Those lanes on the carriageway are covered with debris, swept there by passing traffic.  This debris is rarely, if ever, swept by the councils / highway authority and is full of sharp stones & glass fragments that can cause punctures in bicycle tyres.

I used to cycle on the A10 into London, much safer to ride the carriageway than to use cycle paths.  I rode some 88,000 miles into & out of London over a 10 year period.  I never lost any weight, despite al that exercise!

I’ve never quite understood the logic that says it’s beneficial to exercise ‘in traffic’. ..whether that be on two wheels or two legs.  And I don’t mean being run over ....that’s a given.  We are told that the IC engine particulates in the air are harmful to children and people with respiratory problems. Just living near traffic congested major roads is x times more harmful.

And yet... there is this huge movement to expand our lungs and quicken the circulations system by riding a bike, jogging or running around the same smog riddled streets. Gulping in far more of the nasties than a sedate walk or better still exercising elsewhere.

I only have to cross one main road to walk the dog in the park but the air quality in that moment is noticeably poorer. 

I can’t help thinking that cycling and jogging,  like all the other things that were once good for us, now bad for us or bad for us, now good for us, will one day be looked back at in horror.  “You mean they opened their lungs and gulped in the fumes back then?”

Edited by ericfield

On 13/11/2019 at 20:31, matelodave said:

The worst are those with helmet mounted lights which point all over the place depending on where the rider is looking

We both have unidirectional LED lamps on our helmets, in addition to the lighting on the bikes. Our helmet mounted lamps are NOT focused so simply provide a red glow as an additional warning for following motorists.

As a motorist myself I am very conscious of the adverse affect that over bright lights can cause BUT it is not just a small proportion of people on bikes (they do not deserve to be called cyclists) that cause this problem; some motorists are equally at fault. Specifically, there is a section of official two way cycle track near my home that is to the side of a dual carriageway. If using this route after dark, it is virtually impossible to see the track ahead as cyclists are blinded by oncoming traffic. I avoid this now and take a longer route on side roads because the dedicated cycle track is just too dangerous after dark.

Sign in to follow this