Arnie

Winter caravaning

Not done winter caravaning for years, this year we’re going away for Christmas & new year. 
We’re on a fully serviced pitch , this has thrown up a problem. I dug out  the insulated aquaroll cover , stuck in the valve on the side. There’s the problem, no way will a hose connect without a bend so tight that the flow of water will stop.
Has anyone else come across this problem? I’ve found a couple of right angle hose connectors on Amazon but all seem pretty rubbish.

Dont use the cover; we've had ice on the top of it but unless it is very very very cold you'll be ok -or keep an eye on the weather and disconnect and use the cover when needed. I know they keep going on about a mega winter but it doesn't happen very often!

10 minutes ago, Arnie said:

Not done winter caravaning for years, this year we’re going away for Christmas & new year. 
We’re on a fully serviced pitch , this has thrown up a problem. I dug out  the insulated aquaroll cover , stuck in the valve on the side. There’s the problem, no way will a hose connect without a bend so tight that the flow of water will stop.
Has anyone else come across this problem? I’ve found a couple of right angle hose connectors on Amazon but all seem pretty rubbish.

Use a Hozelock elbow connector https://www.hozelock.com/product/elbow/

4 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Use a Hozelock elbow connector https://www.hozelock.com/product/elbow/

I was thinking about that, but what I can’t tell from the picture is the grey end double threaded ? It needs to be able to screw into the the end of the valve & obviously screw into itself.

7 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Dont use the cover; we've had ice on the top of it but unless it is very very very cold you'll be ok -or keep an eye on the weather and disconnect and use the cover when needed. I know they keep going on about a mega winter but it doesn't happen very often!

I know what you mean about bad winters , once in a blue moon. I just want to cover all the bases . We’ll be in deepest Cheshire & I don’t want to be messing about.

i know these insulated jackets don’t help it gets really cold , if it does get Baltic I would disconnect the water & take the aquaroll into the van over night.

21 minutes ago, Arnie said:

Last time I used service pitch during very cold weather, I made a hole just big enough to allow the push fit connector to the valve, no problems. 

• +1 2

We use a "puffa jacket" bought from a cheap clothes retailer - the arms of the jacket enable the pipe to go in through them and one insulates the pump pipe into the caravan!

Cost all of about £4.99

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Last time I used service pitch during very cold weather, I made a hole just big enough to allow the push fit connector to the valve, no problems. 

I was thinking about doing that.

1 minute ago, kiaboy said:

I am sure we did that when we were in the Peak District From November through to March.  Hole very carefully cut out and then the two layers of fabric stitched and hemmed over to prevent fraying and escape or saturation of insulation material.  Hose pipe encased in lengths of foam insulation from B&Q kept us flowing all winter.

the hose is more likely to freeze solid and if that happens, the side walls are stretched to paper thin and the hose is pretty much useless thereafter even if it hasn’t split.  How do I know this :D

5 minutes ago, thecookster said:

We use a "puffa jacket" bought from a cheap clothes retailer - the arms of the jacket enable the pipe to go in through them and one insulates the pump pipe into the caravan!

Cost all of about £4.99

I’m taking an old heavy waterproof jacket, that might end up being the best solution.

i was intending to use the proper insulated jacket then put my old waterproof jacket on top of that . More layers less chance of freezing.

2 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I am sure we did that when we were in the Peak District From November through to March.  Hole very carefully cut out and then the two layers of fabric stitched and hemmed over to prevent fraying and escape or saturation of insulation material.  Hose pipe encased in lengths of foam insulation from B&Q kept us flowing all winter.

the hose is more likely to freeze solid and if that happens, the side walls are stretched to paper thin and the hose is pretty much useless thereafter even if it hasn’t split.  How do I know this :D

I know , I’ll go to all this trouble and the hose will freeze at the tap end 😂 or in the middle where it touches the ground.

The trick is to keep it insulated from the ground - As far as I know that's equally important as insulating the roll.

Polystyrene blocks or similar will do.

We have a spare caravan step that gets pressed into use.

11 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

The trick is to keep it insulated from the ground - As far as I know that's equally important as insulating the roll.

Polystyrene blocks or similar will do.

We have a spare caravan step that gets pressed into use.

I’ve a couple of 4x4 wooden blocks for aquaroll to stand on. I’ve also cut to size a panel from a upvc door , the outer parts are obviously upvc but the middle is foam , so at least it won’t freeze from the bottom up.

ive just tried the old heavy winter jacket on the aquaroll and it fits, I can zip & button it up . So I’ll use that.

7 minutes ago, Arnie said:

I know , I’ll go to all this trouble and the hose will freeze at the tap end 😂 or in the middle where it touches the ground.

Foam pipe insulation from the tap to the Aquaroll.  It weighs and costs next to nothing.  Try and run most of the insulated hose under the caravan to keep it clean(ish) and dry. A small piece of the pipe foam covering the pump hose from the top of the Aquaroll to the caravan inlet completes the picture.  Use cheap cable ties to secure if necessary.

Once you have winter proofed your water supply, the materials used will be reusable for a few years.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Foam pipe insulation from the tap to the Aquaroll.  It weighs and costs next to nothing.  Try and run most of the insulated hose under the caravan to keep it clean(ish) and dry. A small piece of the pipe foam covering the pump hose from the top of the Aquaroll to the caravan inlet completes the picture.  Use cheap cable ties to secure if necessary.

Once you have winter proofed your water supply, the materials used will be reusable for a few years.  

Agree with this. We've done lots of winter trips and love it when there is frost and snow. Get the Aquaroll off the ground and completely snuggle it up with no gaps. Keep the hose off the ground too. Fill the kettle before bedtime so a hot cuppa first thing is ensured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason why I won't have a caravan without an inboard tank! 

Even during the season, the first thing I do when setting up the water, even if on a serviced pitch, is fill up the inboard tank.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Insulation stops the transfer of heat and cold by using a thermal barrier. If there is no heat source, then there is no heat to keep in. A aqua roll will still freeze with a insulation layer wrapped around it. The water in the roll will eventually reach the same temperature as it's surroundings, just slightly slower with a insulation jacket around it. I have heard of the use of fish tank heaters or other electric devices being used to stop freezing. Anyone tried them and is it worth the trouble and are they really necessary?

Edited by BOAC

we've been away when its dropped to -15 and all the site taps have frozen.

We put the aquaroll on a slab of polystyrene and wrap it in a central heating insulation jacket (it was about £6 from B&Q a lot of years ago) and put some pipe insulation on the pump pick-up pipe. We don't leave the pump in the aquaroll overnight and keep a 5 litre container in the van just in case. The aquaroll hasn't frozen but has had a skin of ice on the surface

14 minutes ago, matelodave said:

we've been away when its dropped to -15 and all the site taps have frozen.

We put the aquaroll on a slab of polystyrene and wrap it in a central heating insulation jacket (it was about £6 from B&Q a lot of years ago) and put some pipe insulation on the pump pick-up pipe. We don't leave the pump in the aquaroll overnight and keep a 5 litre container in the van just in case. The aquaroll hasn't frozen but has had a skin of ice on the surface

Would a kettle of boiling water pored into an insulated aquaroll last thing at night have any effect I wonder but it does appear you have solved the problem. An Aquaroll and delivery pipe that are insulated seems to be the best solution to prevent freezing.

insulated-aqua-large.thumb.jpg.53c427e819816b7c4c752ff3795802a7.jpg

2 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Would a kettle of boiling water pored into an insulated aquaroll last thing at night have any effect I wonder but it does appear you have solved the problem. An Aquaroll and delivery pipe that are insulated seems to be the best solution to prevent freezing.

insulated-aqua-large.thumb.jpg.53c427e819816b7c4c752ff3795802a7.jpg

That's ok but not good enough for  really low temperatures, especially when the temperature stays low for days. It needs to be off the ground on an insulated base, and the thin insulation material of the jacket need another lot - especially the pump hose for which foam pipe lagging is good.

• Like 1

We are lucky that we have an onboard 40l water tank.  We use a direct connection for water rather that use the Aquaroll.  At night if it is going to be really cold we disconnect the water and blow down the hose to remove water that may freeze.  Works for us.  :D

remove your water pump at night

If you have to use a aquaroll, keep it off the ground.  We would use the jacket and wrap up the pump however the pump is removed at night.  Never had it freeze solid yet.  People forget about the waste water and if that freezes, you have a big problem especially if leaving early the next day.

• +1 2

This will no doubt cause an outcry....

I have wound the excess mains cable round my aqua-roll before putting it in the insulated jacket.

It kept things liquid down to minus 11. I also put the whole thing on a spare caravan step.

That was on my older less well insulated caravan - The pipes in the back of the cupboards which were next to the caravan skin did freeze though.

Had to stuff a fan heater in the cupboards on a daily basis to keep them free.

And the waste did freeze up to some extent - Left that in the campsite washing up area for a few hours to unfreeze.

Edited by SteveMilner

20 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

This will no doubt cause an outcry....

I have wound the excess mains cable round my aqua-roll before putting it in the insulated jacket.

It kept things liquid down to minus 11. I also put the whole thing on a spare caravan step.

The danger of winding an ehu cable round something is one of overheating. Clearly in sub zero conditions, and wrapped round a water cooled core this is less of an issue.

However, there remains some risk and it is your responsibility to monitor the temperature, even if it is just by checking the temperature of the water coming out of the cold tap.

36 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The danger of winding an ehu cable round something is one of overheating. Clearly in sub zero conditions, and wrapped round a water cooled core this is less of an issue.

However, there remains some risk and it is your responsibility to monitor the temperature, even if it is just by checking the temperature of the water coming out of the cold tap.

There was absolutely no danger of over-heating.

• Confused 1