Sign in to follow this  
Bavnelly

Notifying Insurance company re: tow bar

The insurance company is more interested it performance mods and mods that may make the car more attractive to steal, other mods that don't fall into either bracket are not of any real interest to them but I think general advise is to tell them as a precaution. A tow bar can if hit cause chassis damage. Making a modification to the policy part way through often costs and so I wait until renewal time to make/declare them.  Unfortunately on one of my cars the list of mods is long and falls into both performance and more attractive to steal categories, not that I think anyone now a days would steel it. Don't know if they were ever on anyone's radar to steal.

macafee2

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I was told by my broker that "they don't want to know unless it alters the performance" - but that's just one underwriter.

I believe that is essentially what they are looking for... performance enhancements or ‘go faster / boy racer’ types of additions that may not improve performance but may be indicative of the way in which the car will be driven.

Thanks hawkaye, that's what they wanted from me.....although they said they didn't 'need' to know!! Bizarre.

Confused .com say this about tow bars:

921994766_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1207-46-50.png.d4c3e208bc704a30d746d20f2f15224d.png

All my vehicles when insuring it is listed on the policy as it is a valuable item . Some towbars and electrics cost upto 2000 pounds to replace on some vehicles so I want paying out for it when or if I have to claim .

Even my motorhome the towbar and dedicated electrics fitted was 1500 pounds .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Same here Dave

I not only tell my insurance company that I have a towbar but I also tow a caravan.

I believe it is relevant as it would be a claim on my CAR insurance if the caravan hit another vehicle (and it was my fault).

A caravan is more of a risk than say a camping trailer or small one taking rubbish to the tip.

Cliff

• I agree completely 1

My car came with a towbar on it . What do you do then? I haven't told them , but did say I towed a Caravan because its insured with them to.

5 minutes ago, James Donald said:

My car came with a towbar on it . What do you do then? I haven't told them , but did say I towed a Caravan because its insured with them to.

If you have not informed them then they have a legal right to invalidate any full comp claim as the risk has changed . Did they not ask of any modifications to the vehicle when you insured it ?

Insurance is usually term a modification added since  the vehicle left the factory .

Our towbar is factory fitted, however.  I  make sure I always inform any insurer of this and that I regularly tow a caravan, about 50% of my use of the vehicle. I do this on taking out a policy.

My take is I want that discussion well out of the way and on the record then, rather than it being raised as a possible issue during any claim.

It is arguably not a "modification" just an option, but as said I don't need to be discussing these finer contractual points later on. Never has an insurer altered a premium price or failed to offer a policy over this.

20 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

If you have not informed them then they have a legal right to invalidate any full comp claim as the risk has changed . Did they not ask of any modifications to the vehicle when you insured it ?

Insurance is usually term a modification added since  the vehicle left the factory .

Not just towbars, but those buying a used car may not know what was standard on that model, what was a factory-fit option, what was an aftermarket option and what was a DIY modification by the previous owner - what should they do?

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:
39 minutes ago, James Donald said:

Do you not think that specifically telling your insurance company that you tow a caravan with the insured vehicle may infer that a tow bar is fitted?

If the car was supplied new with a factory fit tow bar?  Is that still a modification?      Would the insurance company be within their rights to reject any fully complied claim because I didn’t specifically tell them a tow bar fitted?

What about other factory fit options?  If I buy a shiny new car with factory fit options... big wheels, spoiler, upgraded sound system, leather seats and tow bar etc, have I modified the car?  Do I need to tell my insurance company about the factory fit options that do not feature on the standard model?  

image.png

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Not just towbars, but those buying a used car may not know what was standard on that model, what was a factory-fit option, what was an aftermarket option and what was a DIY modification by the previous owner - what should they do?

Be a bit more savvy on what they are buying?

Our Land Rover Discovery 4 has the tow bar factory fitted so is not a modification - just an optional extra !

Just now, ReggiePerrin said:

What about other factory fit options?  If I buy a shiny new car with factory fit options... wheels, spoiler, upgraded sound system, leather seats and tow , have I modified the car?  Do I need to tell my insurance company about the factory fit options that do not feature on the standard model?  

image.png

In part I suspect it depends in part if you want the insurer to cover replacement cost  these more expensive options or go by the book price of the model as standard.

3 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

Our Land Rover Discovery 4 has the tow bar factory fitted so is not a modification - just an optional extra !

I always inform my insurance of optional extras as they need insuring or they will not cover them .

Dave

9 minutes ago, JTQ said:

In part I suspect it depends in part if you want the insurer to cover replacement cost  these more expensive options or go by the book price of the model as standard.

I don’t really accept that.  The invoice price is the value you’d insure... the invoice is the proof that the options were actually factory fitted to the vehicle and not added after purchase.

If the insurance proposal required details of options I would of course provide them but I certainly wouldn’t be answering unasked questions about the car.  

Not my insurer but probably typical of the major names in the insurance business...

From LV Insurance

factory fitted options aren't classed as changes to manufacturer's standard specification. A change to manufacturer's standard specification is anything made after the car leaves the factory.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

11 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Be a bit more savvy on what they are buying?

That's fine for motorheads - but Joe Public knows SFA about car specifications.

Recently changed insurer and did a few quotes for comparisons and I found they list Tow Ball under Others in the section to notify Modifications.

I suspect many will miss Tow Ball as being notifiable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I don’t really accept that.  The invoice price is the value you’d insure... invoice is the proof that the options were actually factory fitted to the vehicle and not added after purchase.

Fine as long as the underwriters know the details on that invoice is the basis of their underwriting, then for all intents and purposes you "have informed "them.

If they don't know the risk they are underwriting pre agreeing, you waving your invoice at them after a claim is IMO a very risky strategy. 

I need to notify my ins. Co. As when discussing mods at renewal apparently they class adding roof bars as a mod (Citroen Dispatch van) but no extra charge for them or the bike rack so hopefully tow bar will be the same.

Told my insurer (LV) as far as I'm aware made no difference to cost.

Did have a conversation with them about what constitutes a 'modification' as there are two definitions:

• ANY deviation from the standard specification even if its a factory fitted option.
  • Anything done to the car after it leaves the factory - in this case factory fitted options are NOT modifications.

LV said they use the latter - if its factory fitted its standard. I declared my tow bar as a factory fitted unit, they still listed it on the policy.

Note - factory fitted means fitted at the factory if a dealer fitted prior to delivery to the first customer as a new vehicle thats NOT factory fitted.

Slightly different - Winter tyres some insurers consider fitting winter tyres a modification. Worth checking your insurers policy on this if you do fit winter tyres most are OK and don't even need to be told but some do.

11 minutes ago, TenStar said:

Told my insurer (LV) as far as I'm aware made no difference to cost.

Did have a conversation with them about what constitutes a 'modification' as there are two definitions:

• ANY deviation from the standard specification even if its a factory fitted option.
  • Anything done to the car after it leaves the factory - in this case factory fitted options are NOT modifications.

LV said they use the latter - if its factory fitted its standard. I declared my tow bar as a factory fitted unit, they still listed it on the policy.

Note - factory fitted means fitted at the factory if a dealer fitted prior to delivery to the first customer as a new vehicle thats NOT factory fitted.

Slightly different - Winter tyres some insurers consider fitting winter tyres a modification. Worth checking your insurers policy on this if you do fit winter tyres most are OK and don't even need to be told but some do.

It's the policy of the Association of British Insurers (ABI) that fitting winter tyres is not classed as a modification - but of course membership of ABI isn't mandatory.

For the last 10 years all my Motability(lease) vehicles including Picasso Grand and present Seat Alhambra have required the removal of the main rear crossmember which is replaced with the towbar-might have included my Ford Galaxy.

Its hard to believe that such a change could have a periphal effect on your insurance -if you do not inform your insurer.

I always ask Motabilities permission to fit a tow bar by telephone then confirm by email in which I give the car registration it’s towing capacity the tow bar company PF Jones supply&fit and my caravan type model and MTPLM.

I use PF Jones ever since the Ford main dealers recommended fitter did an unsatisfactory job on the Ford Galaxy.

I always insure my cars via. price comparison sites and when asked for any modifications 'fitted tow bar' is always offered as a tick box.

• Like 1