Sign in to follow this  
Bavnelly

Notifying Insurance company re: tow bar

I thought you had to let car insurance know if you have had a tow bar fitted, as this is a modification.  Finally got round to ringing them today.....apparently we do not ‘have’ to let them know.   So I asked do we tell them when we renew in February....apparently we don’t need to tell them then either, unless we ‘want’ to.  Totally baffled....has anyone had similar experience?  Insured with Saga.  Many thanks.

• Like 1

I told my insurance, LV, and my insurance premium went down!

Told Direct Line and they have listed it as a modification on the policy documents. No cost difference though.

They said if they noted it they would charge 25 admin fee.  Will wait and see what they quote when we renew in Feb....knowing our luck will increase!!

10 minutes ago, Idleness said:

I told LV= I did not get a discount, probably due to the discount I already get for two cars and a member of CSMA (Boundless) what a stupid name

• +1 1

I’ve got CSMA too.....however, last time had to renew they put price up and weren’t interested in keeping my custom, so changed to SAGA...got home and travel with them now.  Still pay CSMA for legal cover, etc....agree stupid name though

• +1 1

13 minutes ago, Idleness said:

As did mine even though I told them it was detachable and never attached unless with van.  That on the basis that it would save repair costs if involved in rear end shunt!

When you "speak to your insurer" you are speaking to a person. They may or may not be trained well. They may giving you a wrong answer, however if you are informed the call is "recorded for training and quality purposes" then you should not worry because, if there was a dispute later about a claim you would simply remind them about your call and they would confirm what you said, or say they don't have the recording - and be unable to argue with you. The key is to keep a note of the call so that you may quote the date and time of call. 

Amendment fees are now commonplace.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1

It makes sense to tell then as you are covered for eow bat damage

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Easy T said:

What's that?

6 minutes ago, Easy T said:

4 minutes ago, Ern said:

What's that?

EOW is, indeed, an insurance term … but for “escape of water” which doesn’t really apply in this case 🙂

John

The insured has a "Duty of declaration" (of material fact) - how the insurer responds varies.

If we've complied we have a clear conscience.

The cynic in me says prove it should the need arise. 

11 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I think it is tow bar damage. Looks as if the wrong keys were pressed on the key board.

26 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I think it is tow bar damage. Looks as if the wrong keys were pressed on the key board.

True ;)

I have arthritis in my hands

Edited by Easy T

I only ever had one problem - years ago.  Bell insurance told me on the phone that my towbar was listed and I was OK to tow.  But when the policy documents came through there was a length restriction.  I had to cancel and go with someone else.

I'm also with LV and until the last renewal had never thought about it but this time I did and told them and low and behold mine went down as well,, I wonder if I've lost out over the years!

Thanks all.  I think I might ring again and make sure I write down time, date and name of person taking the call.  Many thanks again.

I always tell the insurance, and they note it on the documents, never been a charge or reduction.  I also add son and daughter who both have good driving records,  they rarely drive my car but it has been useful on the odd occasion.  But adding them always equals a reduction.

I was with LV via Boundless for many years until about 5 years ago.  Then the cost shot up.  They did not care one bit, so I left.

Still with them for home insurance though.

John

Hastings not really interested... a ‘thanks for letting know’ was about as good as it got.  

Same with my set of winter wheels and tyres.  They asked if they were like for sizes compared to the standard fitment (identical sized but different pattern OEM wheels from a lower spec version of the same car and identically sized winter tyres)... “Thanks for letting us know”.

10 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Hastings not really interested... a ‘thanks for letting know’ was about as good as it got.  

Same with my set of winter wheels and tyres.  They asked if they were like for sizes compared to the standard fitment (identical sized but different pattern OEM wheels from a lower spec version of the same car and identically sized winter tyres)... “Thanks for letting us know”.

That's what you want. Job done.

If you think they may need to know, tell them. How many dogs, you have, plus their names, your cat's name, your Mum's middle name, how many plants in your garden, what colour your front door is, etc, etc.

It's amazing what some insurers will class as a "material fact", that had they known about it, would have "affected the risk".

But the best time to do so is just before you renew, then an "Admin Fee" isn't chargeable, because you aren't changing an "existing" policy, you are setting up a new one.

4 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

If you think they may need to know, tell them. How many dogs, you have, plus their names, your cat's name, your Mum's middle name, how many plants in your garden, what colour your front door is, etc, etc.

It's amazing what some insurers will class as a "material fact", that had they known about it, would have "affected the risk".

But the best time to do so is just before you renew, then an "Admin Fee" isn't chargeable, because you aren't changing an "existing" policy, you are setting up a new one.

I am not completely convinced that how many dogs you have, the name you call your cat and the colour you paint your front door do not hold some indicators of the insurance risk you might present an underwriter ;)

11 minutes ago, JTQ said:

I am not completely convinced that how many dogs you have, the name you call your cat and the colour you paint your front door do not hold some indicators of the insurance risk you might present an underwriter ;)

Exactly, That's why you need to deny them the excuse that "You should have told us that" :D

• Like 1

I was told by my broker that "they don't want to know unless it alters the performance" - but that's just one underwriter.

Saga took £25 off me for notifying them of the addition of a towbar.