Sign in to follow this  
colin h

Frejus

We are looking for a site in September that is on or very nearly on the beach in the Port Grimaud, Frejus or south east France. Has anyone any experience of such a mythical utopia

Not mythical at all. And maybe not utopia either. 

But Camping de la Plage at Port Grimaud as its name suggests has beachfront pitches, although those the other side of the underpass across the  busy N98 road are more pleasant and more shaded in woodland. There are photos and reviews on line.

Thats the one we have just tried having seen it last year. Sadly they are fully booked for September but thanks.

Prairies de la Mer - haven't stayed there, but it's on the beach near Port Grimaud.   

Le Plage D’Argens, ACSI site No. 2727 is one I have stayed at. My review (Andy C) is on the ACSI app and says it all.

In case you don’t have access to the App

We stayed from late Sept into Oct 2016.

This is a pretty large site (with a lot of cabins) and I don't think I would want to be here at the very height of the season. Lovely clean pool and decent restaurant. The Friday night Moules and frites is excellent value.

The pitches vary in size a fair bit so it's worth checking a few out before deciding which one you want. It's right alongside a river so mozzies can be an issue if camped near to it. 

Two sanitary blocks, the older "Africa" block is pretty tired but is kept SPOTLESS, the newer Argentina block is far nicer though, plenty of hot water and decent sized shower cubicles. On site shop has reasonable stock and bakes bread twice a day. Even better it sells wine on draught! Bring your own bottle (and its not bad either) 

The beach is about 700m walk through a nature reserve, the beach is lovely BUT (if it's an issue for you) it's a naturist beach.  It is VERY clearly clearly signed as such so if you wish to avoid it you simply turn right before getting to the actual beach. (High bushes so you won't see anything) until you get to the non naturist bit. The beach is a kite surfing area as well but there is a lot of beach enjoy. 

Large supermarket about a mile distant, Frejus and St Raphael a bit further but an easy bike ride and the promenade delightful to walk along, as is the port area with the expensive yachts to drool over! St Tropez is about 50 mins by car but parking can be difficult (use the underground ones) It's about the same time by bus. All in all an excellent place to stay.

We certainly enjoyed our stay and will almost certainly return.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Agay, not on the beach but about 300 metres  Camping Le Rive de'l Agay

We stayed at La Vallée du Paradis, 955 Avenue du Gratadis, 83530 Agay, back in the day when it catered for tourers and tents (it's now all statics) just along the road from Camping Les Rives de l'Agay, so used to know the area quite well. It's a lovely part of the mediterranean coast, close to St Raphael, and an easy drive to both Monaco and St Tropez.

Gordon.

We will share our secret with you ........  Camping Azur Rivage, not a large site, quiet, family run, good facilities and restaurant and opposite an almost private beach.

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

We will share our secret with you ........  Camping Azur Rivage, not a large site, quiet, family run, good facilities and restaurant and opposite an almost private beach.

Now you have done it, just tried booking it, Fully Booked throughout 2020,   ;)  Probably due to a CT Rally

I would give them a ring.  No site is going to be completely booked, for every pitch, for a whole season!  

You may have good reasons of your own for going to that area or have been before but my personal view of the Cote D' Azure is that after 3 visits (2 too many) its the only place in France I have no desire to see again. Expensive crowded and overrated but that only  a personal view and if you go I hope it works out well.

On the beach near Port Grimoud:  "Prairies de la Mer": huge, with discos and restaurants inside. I think it's chaotic and noisy. Also very expensive.

Next to it another campsite. "Les Mures". Smaller, less chaotic and more peaceful. Some pitches on the sand and the sea in front. Less expensive. I really like it. I was two time.