Saintjersey

TOWING IN CROATIA

Good evening 

We are just finalising our trip to Croatia for Sept 2020.

I am aware of the green card problem with entering BH and am resigned  to purchase local minimum cover at the border crossing.  

The leg of the journey I need advice for is from Podgora Resort to Solitudo Camping Dubrovnik.

My unit will be a BMW 5 series towing a 7metre( shipping length) CARAVAN.  Will I need to purchase 2 green cards and what is the anticipated cost please?

A recommended route please including suggested border crossing. I would propose to use the same route on the return trip.

Thank you in advance to you all for your advice and help.

Alistair.

I have towed to Croatia 5 times now and spent the month of September there but have not gone further South than Istria.  We take a North Sea crossing to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge (or mix) and have been following the route  Holland/Belgium /Germany/Austria and Slovenia and crossing into Croatia near Koper.

Currently there are road improvements on a gargantuan scale in Germany but we have decided to live with it after attempting a return through Italy that was if anything even worse

A point to remember is that Croatian sites in the north of the country close almost en-mass  first week in October and that night halts through Germany etc may also be governed by whats open.

However we love it and although we rarely book anything have reserved our waters edge pitch again for 2020.

The route we take and the night halts we use I have described here

My neighbours take their huge Motorhome to Croatia every year, they always have a little moan about how tight some of the roads and campsite access routes are but they still love it.

The last time I towed in Croatia it was a tank from Split to Tomislavgrad. Lovely country, great beaches (pebbles not sand).

Saintjersey,  You cannot buy local insurance  at the Bosnian border at Neum to cross the six mile strip which is within that country.

Some  people get green card insurance for Bosnia in the UK before setting off, some drive carefully across that six mile strip of Bosnia without insurance, and some by pass that bit of Bosnia by taking the car ferry from Ploce to Trpanj to stay within Croatian territory.  

Those three choices for you to get down to Dubrovnik. 

• +1 1

On 10/11/2019 at 15:18, David in Cheshire said:

I have towed to Croatia 5 times now and spent the month of September there but have not gone further South than Istria.  We take a North Sea crossing to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge (or mix) and have been following the route  Holland/Belgium /Germany/Austria and Slovenia and crossing into Croatia near Koper.

Currently there are road improvements on a gargantuan scale in Germany but we have decided to live with it after attempting a return through Italy that was if anything even worse

A point to remember is that Croatian sites in the north of the country close almost en-mass  first week in October and that night halts through Germany etc may also be governed by whats open.

However we love it and although we rarely book anything have reserved our waters edge pitch again for 2020.

On 09/11/2019 at 19:01, Saintjersey said:

Good evening 

We are just finalising our trip to Croatia for Sept 2020.

I am aware of the green card problem with entering BH and am resigned  to purchase local minimum cover at the border crossing.  

The leg of the journey I need advice for is from Podgora Resort to Solitudo Camping Dubrovnik.

My unit will be a BMW 5 series towing a 7metre( shipping length) CARAVAN.  Will I need to purchase 2 green cards and what is the anticipated cost please?

A recommended route please including suggested border crossing. I would propose to use the same route on the return trip.

Thank you in advance to you all for your advice and help.

Alistair.

On 10/11/2019 at 15:18, David in Cheshire said:

Thank you so much for your advice and suggested route and campsites. I am most grateful.

• Like 1

Thank you David, Borussia 1900 and moor gate for your information.

i Have not been able to secure over from any UK insurer, although I am prepared to change from Saga. So I think I will purchase third party cover at  Bijaca border crossing, re-Enter Croatia and then travel to Neum and hopefully Solitudo , Dubrovnik.

THird party a risk I know but will have to do.

Alistair.

Saintjersey,  as you are willing to change your motor insurance it might be worth speaking to the AA.  They act as brokers and place insurance with various companies, and I am told that they may well be able to arrange motor insurance which includes cover for Bosnia. It might be worth a phone call. 

Dear Moorgate

Thanks so much for your advice. I spoke with them this week and even after referring the enquiry to their underwriters they could not help.

thanks again. Alistair.

We've been to Croatia 3 times, but never stayed much further south than Split. We did think about travelling as far as Dubrovnik, but the insurance problems of crossing the Neum corridor, using an alternative ferry and reports from friends of the number of visitors to Dubrovnik (cruise boats) have made us think it is too much hassle with a caravan. In the 3 visits we have made we have always found different destinations which have made us think we would like to stay longer than plans allow, even though we are very flexible with our arrangements.

Saintjersey if you do a search on this forum for Croatia you will find examples of members experiences in the country, routes of access and travel advice for passing through other countries.

This year we caravanned in southern Italy, but it is more than likely that next year we will return to Croatia, Slovenia and northern Italy.

John

John

Thank you for your helpful comments. I am fairly determined to reach Dubrovnik and hopefully at the end of September there may be fewer cruise ships.

i am still going to pursue obtaining insurance cover in the UK in the meantime. Alistair.

Did you look at taking the ferry route which avoids Bosnia. Sorry if it's already been mentioned bit haven't read the entire thread.

We drew a blank a few years ago on obtaining insurance.

Have a look at our trip here but doesn't help with the last bit.

http://www.caravanramblings.co.uk/?cat=45

I think a lot of people just wing-it

11 minutes ago, Saintjersey said:

John

Thank you for your helpful comments. I am fairly determined to reach Dubrovnik and hopefully at the end of September there may be fewer cruise ships.

i am still going to pursue obtaining insurance cover in the UK in the meantime. Alistair.

Cruise ship schedule for Dubrovnik in Sept 2020

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/dubrovnik-port-137?month=2020-09#schedule

Thanks so much...looks like 5/6000 a day then! Evening visits preferable I fancy.

P&R

what a great itinerary...we will be away for 8 weeks so your experience will be invaluable. Thanks very much. Alistair.