siting caravan in france or spain

Hi,

I've heard that's its possible to site a touring caravan in france/spain.

I am thinking of this.

we have 2 small dogs.

we enjoy walking mainly also mountain and road biking.

I am wondering what the options are that many of you may have experience of..... locations, price, towing the van, travel time, do you fly there or drive.

any advice would be great .

regards

rob

Some insurance companies won't cover caravans stored across the water - doubtless some will though.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We stay in the Rhone valley for a few weeks every year. We know many Belgian and Dutch  families who stay on the site we use every year. What they mostly do is store their caravan under cover at a local farm, for about 300-350 Euros per year - this is known as hivernage. A call is made to the farm to take the van to the site, and after the holiday is complete the farm collect it.

We have this is mind when/if we are unable/unwilling to tow any more!

• Thanks 1

thank you all,,,

would prefer Spain and by the coast, but we are willing to try anything just to get the van in a warmer climate , that is usually cheaper that the uk for storage and a holiday.

do you know the cost of the moving of the van from storage to the site and back or have any contact details of anyone that may know please.

regards

rob

There is a very good site in Javea, Costa Blanca, believe it or not called CampingJavea.es.

About 200 yds/metres before the entrance is a secure storage site, believe it or not called Thesecurestorage.com, their number is 0034 965 797 138.  Try giving them a call for prices etc and ask them if they would move your caravan onto the site and how much!

If you have any luck let me know, I might get commission!!!

• Like 1

Whatever the cost of moving to and from storage it simply HAS to be much less than the cost of taking it on a ferry (twice) plus the additional fuel to tow it there and back!

Andy

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

We store our caravan on a campsite in France, in the Ardeche (gorgeous mountain walks, cycling  - with a cycle track right outside the site and plenty of mountain bike routes), with a river for the dogs for when it's very hot.  It costs us 185 euros per year.  For that we have storage and the site owner, Jerome, tows the caravan on to a pitch for us for when we want to stay at no extra cost, and removes it again when we leave.  He will even put the hook-up in, if we're arriving on a hot day and want the fridge cool before we arrive.

We also tow it away elsewhere when we wish.  When staying we simply pay the daily rate for the pitch - in low season it's an ACSI Card site so costs us 13 euros including hook-up.  In high season it's about three times as much.  

It has a swimming pool, bar and restaurant, with a reasonably priced menu, a take-away in high season, some 'theme nights' in high season, and there is one very clean sanitary block including a heated area for early and late season and two children's bathrooms.

We drive down, because we have a cat and none of the budget airlines will take pets - the only option is an expensive pet-flight - so make sure you factor in the drive.   However if you weren't taking the dogs you can fly to Nimes or Avignon which are both about an hour away and there are flights in the summer from Stansted.  

We insure with Towergate, and our renewal costs are modest.  We have twice claimed for non-fault accidents whilst keeping the caravan in France and both have been sorted without any problem whatsoever - though we did choose to bring the caravan back to the UK for our favourite local dealership to do the repairs.

If you want more details please send me a personal message.

Edited by ValA
  • Like 1

Yes, we stay overnight.  This time (late August) we set off from home in Yorkshire and got to Chartres for our first night, and then arrived at the caravan about 5.30 pm the following day.   This is using our usual non-toll route, via Rouen, Chartres, Orleans, Moulins, Nevers, Clermont Ferrand, and then across country on the N102 from near to Brioude to Aubenas and down to the site.

The caravan was all set up on pitch, and we just wound down the steadies and hooked up, got out the table and chairs, and had a meal on the table, with a bottle of campsite wine, by 7.00 pm. 

We have to drive down because of our cat - who loves the campsite life!