Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Ice on windshield?

Don't understand what the problem is, there's never any ice on the windscreen when I drive out of the garage. :D

• I agree completely 1

7 hours ago, thebriars said:

Don't understand what the problem is, there's never any ice on the windscreen when I drive out of the garage. :D

No ice on mine either AND the interior is warm and toasty.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

Regulation 107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.

I am not suggesting that you should do either of the following but if I understand correctly:-

The vehicle is parked on the road (parking brake engaged) and you are scraping ice from the windows, or removing snow, while the engine is running, it is not unattended?

The vehicle is parked off of the road (parking brake engaged) and the engine is left running, you can walk away - legally?

Personally I find that by parking under our car port, moisture freezing on the windows is minimised and is easily removed by pouring cool water over them. As others have pointed out though, mist freezing on the inside can be an issue until the engine has warmed up. I used to have a car that could be remotely started from inside the house, while leaving all of the car doors secured, similarly I could turn on or off the headlamps remotely - I tried both options when I first bought the car to prove to myself they worked, then never used the options again as I considered them to be pointless functions. That was many years ago and since we've lived in our present house, we've had the option of a garage and/or a car port to park our cars.

11 hours ago, thebriars said:

A garage is clearly the best option of all as it increases car security, and keeps the ice, snow and rain off! Almost as if that is what garages were designed for :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

I am not suggesting that you should do either of the following but if I understand correctly:-

The vehicle is parked on the road (parking brake engaged) and you are scraping ice from the windows, or removing snow, while the engine is running, it is not unattended?

The vehicle is parked off of the road (parking brake engaged) and the engine is left running, you can walk away - legally?

Question 1 - theoretically you should be correct but the purpose of the legislation is to prevent a tragedy on the road if the vehicle starts to move with no licensed driver in it. It would be for a Court to decide.

Question 2 - on private property which is not a road, e.g. your drive, this legislation does not apply.

4 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Question 1 - theoretically you should be correct but the purpose of the legislation is to prevent a tragedy on the road if the vehicle starts to move with no licensed driver in it. It would be for a Court to decide.

Question 2 - on private property which is not a road, e.g. your drive, this legislation does not apply.

Brother in law had one of the first Toyota Priuses. The engine would occasionally start when it was left alone, presumably to keep the battery topped up. 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Brother in law had one of the first Toyota Priuses. The engine would occasionally start when it was left alone, presumably to keep the battery topped up. 

That sounds seriously dodgy, what if it was in a garage built into the house, it could poison everyone.

17 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Legal Eagle,

That makes sense :)

12 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

10 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

That sounds seriously dodgy, what if it was in a garage built into the house, it could poison everyone.

Dobloseven,

Having an engine start itself with the vehicle unattended sounds iffy in the extreme. I hope that is an "option" that can be disabled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Legal Eagle,

That makes sense :)

Dobloseven,

Having an engine start itself with the vehicle unattended sounds iffy in the extreme. I hope that is an "option" that can be disabled.

It shouldnt really be an option......

• I agree completely 1

14 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Surely that can only happen if the "ignition" is still switched on?

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Surely that can only happen if the "ignition" is still switched on?

Most modern cars the ECU turns the ignition on, not the physical key so it's entirely possible for the Prius to start up if so programmed by the manufacturer.

• I agree completely 1

Slightly different but on a Tesla you can unlock it and enable it and let someone else drive it from anywhere in the world. 

Just use the app on your phone.