BOAC

Ice on windshield?

Its a really cold and troublesome bother to remove the ice so have you any easy, quick and effective tips to pass on?

Switch on the heated windscreen :D

• Like 1
  • +1 3

Just now, Black Grouse said:

that's what I do :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Heh. 

But that takes ages and I need something faster. I am standing around shivering while waiting.

Just now, BOAC said:

Heh. 

But that takes ages and I need something faster. I am standing around shivering while waiting.

Turn the remote cabin heater on before I go out when it's really bad.,

Best option is to put the car in the garage, or under a car port!

If left outside then pour cold (or luke warm) water over the screen, and if it refreezes, apply more water.

For light frosts I tend to simply scrape it off prior to starting the engine as I find this is still the most efficient way of clearing both the windscreen and side windows.

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Turn the remote cabin heater on before I go out when it's really bad.,

There's posh for you. :)  No such luck on my heap.

Do the aerosol de-icers work? I have never tried them.

18 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Heh. 

Not if the front screen is electrically heated. :) 

Edited by logiclee
  • +1 1

5 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Not if the front screen is electrically heated. :) 

+1 - and a nice heated steering wheel to keep your hands war ;)

• +1 1

put a blanket or carpet or screen protector over the screen the night before.

Leave the car and catch the bus.

It does not bother me to clear the windows, I used to get up early and clean the windows on the wifes car for when she went to work.

macafee2

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Warm water does it for me , quickest way by far!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Warm water does it for me , quickest way by far!!

Its alright for you posh car owners who have a heated windscreen but mine does not.

Thanks Wispy for that.  507522766_Likeagree.jpg.2d3605a797381018661730f4a93e4ff1.jpg

I shall give it a go.

37 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

:Plus1:

34 minutes ago, BOAC said:

No it doesn’t … probably about a minute … certainly less time than getting out an aerosol or scrapper, or going into the house to get warm water !

John

27 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Do the aerosol de-icers work? I have never tried them.

You've not missed anything. Yes they generally work but over time can build up a water repellent deposit on the windscreen, that can prevent the wipers from working efficiently, and be a devil to clean off again.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 2

1 minute ago, Johnaldo said:

:Plus1:

No it doesn’t … probably about a minute … certainly less time than getting out an aerosol or scrapper, or going into the house to get warm water !

John

Having not got an electrically heated windscreen the only way for me is to switch on the engine and wait till it warms up and then switch on the blowers. THAT takes ages

31 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

.................................. a nice heated steering wheel to keep your hands war ;)

Oh how the other half live ..................  :unsure:

• +1 1

22 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Having not got an electrically heated windscreen the only way for me is to switch on the engine and wait till it warms up and then switch on the blowers. THAT takes ages

But you can end up with first world problems.

I have..

Heated front screen

1.5KW Aux Electric Heater

Heated Rear Screen

Heated Front Seats

Heated Rear Seats

Heated Mirrors

Heated Steering Wheel.

+ Cars electronic systems, 1200W Audio, exterior lighting etc. etc.

As the car can't possibly supply that lot on switch on it deploys Battery Management Modules and distributes power as it sees fit and not always how I would like.

For instance the rear screen is from a BMM, it is automatically turned on and turns off after a set time. But if BMM is limiting power to the rear screen it can turn off well before it's cleared. It must prioritise warm cabin and bums.

Heated Screen is always on full power though as it's directly supplied and not from a BMM.

Edited by logiclee

On my Transit van there is 2 options 1, press the switch or 2, turn the climate control knob to screen both work very  well and quick no matter of the thickness of the ice.

Edited by oldboy

In the truck at work everyone will be leaving their night heaters on all night so they come in to a clear screen in the morning and a nice warm cab.

My brother-in-law just places his hands on the glass until one patch thaws and then moves on.  I tried but it's too painful.  I use cold water but it can lead to icy patches around the car.  Warm or hot water may crack the windshield.

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

I also have Remote Start where I can preset the ambient temp and start the engine to have either a warm car on a cold day, or a cool car on a hot day.  Luxury - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

for those with diesels but without fuel burning heaters, there are probably a few names for them you should check to see if one can be added. They would have been an expensive extra when the car was new but 2nd hand can be dirt cheap but a word of warning, do make sure it is in working order.  Some if a PCB fault are easy and "cheap" to repair but if the water pump has failed, a new pump is over a £100.

they can be found at scrap yards and ebay

macafee2

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I also have Remote Start where I can preset the ambient temp and start the engine to have either a warm car on a cold day, or a cool car on a hot day.  Luxury - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NOW you are rubbing it in Steve :P

Mind you, I have the same thing - sort of. The ice bag works fairly well on a hot day and the candle does help to some extent in the winter if the matches light that is :rolleyes: 

3 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

a cold idling engine is not good and this has been practice for years. The fuel burning heaters heat engine coolant, can clear screen and warm cabin all with the engine still turned off.  A "warm" engine before it is even turned on saves wear and tear.

macafee2

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

a cold idling engine is not good and this has been practice for years. The fuel burning heaters heat engine coolant, can clear screen and warm cabin all with the engine still turned off.  A "warm" engine before it is even turned on saves wear and tear.

macafee2

Fortunately i have the Supplementary Heating PTC Heater fitted :)