in praise of our dealer and our new van; praise where due

Ok lots of negativity surrounds the web and social media about dealers and caravan. We have always dealt with a local firm and thought I ought to redress the balance. 
For a start-we really weren't going to buy a caravan; we have a perfectly good 2 year old. HOWEVER we had uprated our tow car and could tow more; SWBO was suddenly on a mission. After looking at most of the twin axles available-sorry Lunar-you weren't in full production at the time, we decided on what suited us-nearly a whole afternoon spent with a super salesman-nothing was too much trouble as (we) changed our minds a few times. We then visited the lawns and managed to negotiate an even better deal, paying a few pounds more to remain with the dealer we trusted.
An eta for the van was given us and contrary to many posts, we received a call the week that had been stated originally to say our van had arrived. They were really busy so pick up was arranged the week after to suit us-and so we did. On arrival the van was plugged in lights on heating on, water attached and music on! What a delight to sit in a warm van in the pouring rain and have EVERYTHING demonstrated to us. The TV brackets we'd been offered to clinch the deal were then fitted at a height/ situation to our preference .We then went in to the dealers, had a coffee, made the payments, were even shown the commission they had been given for arranging the finance-is this normal-seemed VERY honest to me, and after they work they had done for us worth it! The handover man then stopped the traffic for my wife (yes she has to tow at the mo as have a broken foot) so she could pull out towing for the first time-a twin axle too, onto the road without worrying about oncoming vehicles. We;re fussy and our trip away in the new van revealed, NOTHING- a beautiful van without a scratch mark or even bubbled vinyl screw head cover, not a blob of sealant out of place. LOVELY. Needless to say so far we are VERY happy customers-happy to name van make and dealer but not sure forum rules allow! Let's hope the ownership experience continues along these lines. We're just fed up we can't get away in it enough!

Well that all seems to be very normal, but now you will have to deal with a different beast......

..The Service department.

The Service department do not run to your schedule, you have to fit in with theirs. as a new van owner they will not be making money from you so they don't have to be nice.

19 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Ok lots of negativity surrounds the web and social media about dealers and caravan. We have always dealt with a local firm and thought I ought to redress the balance. 
For a start-we really weren't going to buy a caravan; we have a perfectly good 2 year old. HOWEVER we had uprated our tow car and could tow more; SWBO was suddenly on a mission. After looking at most of the twin axles available-sorry Lunar-you weren't in full production at the time, we decided on what suited us-nearly a whole afternoon spent with a super salesman-nothing was too much trouble as (we) changed our minds a few times. We then visited the lawns and managed to negotiate an even better deal, paying a few pounds more to remain with the dealer we trusted.
An eta for the van was given us and contrary to many posts, we received a call the week that had been stated originally to say our van had arrived. They were really busy so pick up was arranged the week after to suit us-and so we did. On arrival the van was plugged in lights on heating on, water attached and music on! What a delight to sit in a warm van in the pouring rain and have EVERYTHING demonstrated to us. The TV brackets we'd been offered to clinch the deal were then fitted at a height/ situation to our preference .We then went in to the dealers, had a coffee, made the payments, were even shown the commission they had been given for arranging the finance-is this normal-seemed VERY honest to me, and after they work they had done for us worth it! The handover man then stopped the traffic for my wife (yes she has to tow at the mo as have a broken foot) so she could pull out towing for the first time-a twin axle too, onto the road without worrying about oncoming vehicles. We;re fussy and our trip away in the new van revealed, NOTHING- a beautiful van without a scratch mark or even bubbled vinyl screw head cover, not a blob of sealant out of place. LOVELY. Needless to say so far we are VERY happy customers-happy to name van make and dealer but not sure forum rules allow! Let's hope the ownership experience continues along these lines. We're just fed up we can't get away in it enough!

That's how it should be done! Ours (Salop Leisure) once even gave us a free lunch in their cafeteria while we made up our minds, and another while they switched the numberplate and leisure battery over.

How about giving us the dealer's name? We all want that kind of service and the CT rules only prohibit naming and shaming not giving due recognition.

21 minutes ago, Minion 63 said:

Well that all seems to be very normal, but now you will have to deal with a different beast......

The Service department do not run to your schedule, you have to fit in with theirs. as a new van owner they will not be making money from you so they don't have to be nice.

I bet the OP is very pleased to receive this very negative post, well done!

11 minutes ago, Stevan said:

That's how it should be done! Ours (Salop Leisure) once even gave us a free lunch in their cafeteria while we made up our minds, and another while they switched the numberplate and leisure battery over.

How about giving us the dealer's name? We all want that kind of service and the CT rules only prohibit naming and shaming not giving due recognition.

The problem with giving the dealers name is that there will be people lining up to give all their alternative and negative views about all and everything, including working with the service dept. ☹️

We will be going through same process on Thursday - again with our favoured dealer - and hope for the same treatment/result. We aren’t quick enough to give praise when due.

Enjoy the van Jezzerb

I have to admit that each time we have purchased a caravan we have had good service, which is what I expect, after all they don't get the money until the end and they have to keep us sweet. The best one we had went out of business a few months after we got our 'van, he gave us half price mover and awning  plus he kept the  'van for a couple of months so we would get it in the spring, perhaps he was just too good .  The worse we had was when we were buying a motor home, but that's a different story, needless to say we cancelled the M/H.  

Good luck with your 'van , enjoy:)

4 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

This is how the purchasing experience should be! I hope you enjoy your new caravan.👍

I collected my latest caravan just over a week ago and had a similar great experience. Nothing was too much trouble and the handover lasted over 2 hours going through everything in great depth. I took the caravan away for the weekend to a local caravan park and tested everything. There were a couple of very minor issues so I called the dealer to ask what I should do. I was told “just bring it back on Sunday afternoon on your way home and we will fix it all on Monday”. By Monday afternoon it was sorted. The caravan had been valeted again and was hitched to the car for me. Now that’s service!

4 hours ago, Minion 63 said:

We were impressed with service dept on the last van we had from them-VERY, that is one reason we stayed put-actually cost us a little more than the best deal but we trust this lot!

4 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

I bet the OP is very pleased to receive this very negative post, well done!

The problem with giving the dealers name is that there will be people lining up to give all their alternative and negative views about all and everything, including working with the service dept. ☹️

Don't worry we know the dealer and have previous with them-very impressed then! Happy to name if allowed !

As said the dealer deserves recognition regardless and there are bound to be some out there who haven't had the same treatment ; Robinson's of Worksop are the dealer and the van a Bucaneer Cruiser. So far so good! Early days though! 

• 2 weeks later...

Our last caravan developed a leak for the second time so we had to take it back to the dealer who accepted the problem and said they would get it repaired under guaratee. We had though lost faith in it and had a look at the new ones. The dealer made us a good offer on the old one with them doing the repair in their own time and us taking the new one once they had prepared it. They then offered to store the old one to save us taking it home and agreed to move the mover over When we went to pick up the new one they had the two parked alongside each other with the doors facing so we could transfer the contents across but had already changed the gas and battery.

Good service did turn an unhappy customer into a happy one.

The sales team in most dealers do a good job, our does, but that's where the good time ends, I have today contacted my dealer for a relatively small job that would take a few minutes and was told the earliest they could fit me in was late January, I explained that I was going away shortly, they just dug their heels in  and restated late January. I have bought all our vans since this company opened in the late 90's, I will now have to contact a local AWS technician to sort out our problem , cancel my annual service with the dealer and rebook it with AWS

Some years ago, we bought a used van from the Caravan Company and my wife was most pleased to receive a bouquet of flowers at handover.

1 hour ago, colonel said:

Some years ago, we bought a used van from the Caravan Company and my wife was most pleased to receive a bouquet of flowers at handover.

It was the Caravan Company that bought our rejected Buccaneer Cruiser which required nearly £5000 of work to put it right.  They must be a good company.

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

It was the Caravan Company that bought our rejected Buccaneer Cruiser which required nearly £5000 of work to put it right.  They must be a good company.

Personally I am wary of companies who buy damp or faulty models, You have to hope they have put everything right or you will have the previous owners problems

On 09/11/2019 at 09:36, Minion 63 said:

Just now, Hotcrossman said:

I treat Service Departments like polititions, or used to,  until my last Caravan (July 2019). A used van with just two 'niggles'. On pitching up for the fix(s) I realised I had left the mover control on the A frame -stupid boy. I was reassured 'mine host' would reprogram a 'spare' he had so "not to worry".

All was fixed and the 'fixer' went above and beyond, super lad. This is the stuff that keeps customers . . . . . . . .

This contrasts with my previous experience in 2005 (same dealer/different ownership) when I bought a new twin axle, the handover was apalling and subsequent service equally so!

On 09/11/2019 at 14:43, Jezzerb said:

As said the dealer deserves recognition regardless and there are bound to be some out there who haven't had the same treatment ; Robinson's of Worksop are the dealer and the van a Bucaneer Cruiser. So far so good! Early days though! 

We had the same great service from Robinson’s of Worksop. The first service was probably the best treatment we have had in over 40 years of caravaning. We had a couple of minor warrant repairs which were done promptly and to our convenience. 

Edited by tiz
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:43, Jezzerb said:

We had the same great delaer experience when we collected our Ultima dealer special from that same dealership in Worksop-great afetsales service too :-)

Footnote.

I understand that Robinsons was a family owned business until last year when the company was brought out as an ongoing concern-I read about it in practical caravan.

Edited by charlieboy2608