BOAC

Why do you change caravans?

Had my 2005 Bessacarr since 2007 its had its issues and had plenty of use but,I get a bit desponded each time I go viewing new vans. The price isn't so much an issue but the thought of the build quality or lack of it in some cases I'm sort of thinking it better the devil you know.

• +1 1

3 minutes ago, hinchy said:

,I get a bit despondent each time I go viewing new vans. The price isn't so much an issue but the thought of the build quality or lack of it in some cases I'm sort of thinking it better the devil you know.

Exactly the same with me.   My van is nearly 20 years old - and I love it.  

• Like 1

Just love the smell of new vans!

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

We changed our 2015 U3 Barcelona, last December for a new Knaus Starclass 695.  We loved the Barcelona and only had one real problem - with a leaking shower tray - which was fixed just before we sold it. Reasons for changing - build quality (in a different league entirely from the Bailey) - decent payload at 360kg (unlike the pathetic allowance on most UK vans) - and the two enormous single beds which are superbly comfortable. Ros, having had a knee replacement, struggled to get in and out of the French bed and two singles was definitely the way to go. The only thing I regret is not knowing how useless the Dometic toilet would turn out to be but I have now had that changed for a Thetford (at my expense).  Being 8' wide, I have it in the back of my mind that it will be ideal to use on a seasonal pitch if I decide in the future - or my body decides! - that towing here, there and everywhere is no longer sensible.

After 35 years we have changed the caravan seven times. The first change was forced on us when we had a third daughter and only a four berth caravan. The new one was a Trophy which some people may remember as an ultra lightweight model but after five years it was starting to show its age and faults were appearing. We replaced it with an identical layout and kept that about ten years as we could not find anything we preferred to it.

Our eldest daughter than said she was too big to go with us, so we downsized to a four berth and changed that after six years when we found a caravan with a fixed bed we liked the look of. That one started to show its age after five years so it was traded in for a similar layout but different make. That one leaked twice and though the guarantee repaired it we lost confidence in it and it went for another with a transverse bed. 

We have tended to buy different makes essentially on what suited us and took our fancy at the time.

Edited by Wildwood