BOAC

Why do you change caravans?

Ours is 4 years old, we spend max 50 nights a year in it, it’s been towed about 20,000 miles but it’s kept in a dry, heated hanger when we’re not using it so it looks like it’s just come out of the showroom, don’t see a reason to change it at the moment (apart from Greta and her poorly informed  mates).

Edited by Borussia 1900

We last changed our caravan (for twin fixed bed layout) back in 2012. Since then, we been waiting to change to a newer model, primarily to get Alde heating, but there have been one or two other nice changes worth having. Unfortunately there is one significant, not so nice, change...bed size.  Manufacturers seem to think men have got thinner and women have got shorter. Each year we check to see if the beds are back to the 2012 sizing...without  success. Plus,  we haven’t liked the material and design options 

So we have recently refurbished the interior.... seat foam, covers, curtains and carpets. I just need to change the lights. Ok...we still haven’t got Alde heating, but after 7 years I know how to operate the Truma blown system to get adequate heat distribution....and I haven’t spent £25000 on a compromise.

To be honest I am rather relieved we haven’t upgraded (yet again) with all the uncertainty on the future of caravan towing and motorhoming. 

mmmm about 22 years ago our 1st van was a Monza 1400s, very basic, leaned to one side and leaked but we had great fun with it. Wife wanted a better van so may be 18 years ago so we got a 2nd hand swift Allouette diamond, some mod cons and I liked it.

7 years ago she wanted a better van, one where the shower floor was not the bathroom floor. We got a new Lunar Quasar 525. Have only seen one other that looked to be the same year.  More mod cons but sheet build quality and customer service. No wonder they went to the wall, only their selves to blame! This also meant a change of tow car. I don't like diesels and I don't line saloons but really like my car. Joined a car forum for it and have learnt lots. Was a poverty spec car when I got it but visits to the scrap yards and the only 2 things it does not have from the top spec is sunroof and sat nav. Sunroof is two expensive to fit and sat nav, I don't want. Really enjoy driving it and it has a bullet proof engine. I know someone that has 400,000 miles on his.

I don't change for sake of change or to appear to keep up with the Jones's. I don't lust after anyone else's caravan and unless they have a  particular Tourer in one of a few colours with a particular colour interior, I wont be lusting after anyone else's tow car.

macafee2

First caravan was a Bailey Ranger, bought in 2010. Did about 300 nights, until my back gave in, having to make the front bed every night.

Then on to a Bailey Pursuit, 430/4. Cracking van, but got fed up crawling over Lizzie when I wanted the loo!

Did 800 nights or so in that one!

Now got a Bailey Phoenix 640,  platinum from Chipping Sodbury caravans! Island bed and mid shower / loo etc! Perfect!

Up to 230 + plus nights so far in our first year of ownership!

Certainly our last caravan, before I pop my clogs!

Well I have said that before about our Land Rovers!

W ho knows!

Edited by PR1

Only changed due to changes in circumstance. Started with a huge 2004 Elddis Avante  630 TA as we had three kids in tow, brilliant van. Once the kids had stopped coming we downsized to a Lunar Quasar 524. No problems with the van, brilliant washroom but got fed up making up the bed and didn’t enjoy towing a small single axle as much, too bouncy and didn’t feel as stable. Bought a fixed French bed Swift Challenger, brilliant build quality, very comfy, huge washroom but  it’s the climbing over each other in the night thing that became a bore so looked at island bed layouts. Looked at a new Cartagena but hideous styling and the fact it was already leaking put us right off so went for another Swift TA which we’ve been absolutely delighted with. It’s had a few moments but the dealer and Swift have been great so no plans to change for the foreseeable future. 

Last caravan was starting its 11 year and the space heater was needing attention and was afraid I might have damp at this age so decided to change.

So this year got a brand new Bailey now reading here and other places realise if things go wrong we might not get looked after by Bailey.

We keeping fingers crossed our family owned dealer will look after us should anything go wrong, we have all ready notified him at first service in a few months time to sort out brake noise anf the large front blind.

We read a lot about the Alko axle and brakes and damp test failures.

Attention to detail of the Bailey assemblers had a lot to be desired and dealer rehung the cupboard doors before handover, the shower door now needs adjustment must put that on service list.

Maybe I should not have changed my Coachman as when part exchanged the only damp problem was a window seal just needing some TLC to prevent a problem.

35 minutes ago, David 38 said:

So this year got a brand new Bailey now reading here and other places realise if things go wrong we might not get looked after by Bailey. 

:unsure: ???

I think you may be confusing Lunar, who have had  “problems” and are now a “new” company so are now not taking on all of the “old” Lunar product warranty liability and Bailey who are, to the best if my knowledge, in fine business shape.

Or do you know something to the contrary??

Andy

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Don’t recognise that description at all, any issues I’ve had have been sorted by the dealer and Bailey; in fact despite being 3 years old Bailey have agreed to replace my brake shoes and pads due to scoring identified at the service, it’s not unsafe but still covered.

Excellent service and I would happily recommend Bailey vans

• Like 1

Had our BAILEY Pageant Champagne for nearly 13 years now, it's clean, dry and suits our needs, so no reason to change, simple.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doosan said:

Had our BAILEY Pageant Champagne for nearly 13 years now, it's clean, dry and suits our needs, so no reason to change, simple.  

Thought OP was asking "why do you change caravans" not why you don't???? :unsure: 

• Like 2

we used to keep the 'vans longer but the last 3  'vans were changed about every 3 years mostly due to us getting older and having different needs. We used to have the fixed bed at the side of the 'van , but he didn't like me crawling over him  (time changes everything ) . We then got the transverse island bed , but  found that there wasn't too much room on the washroom side , so we now have the island bed that comes from the back of the 'van and he loves it. As for keeping up with the Jones, no, our neighbours know that we have a little tourer but as we don't bring it home they never see it. 

• Like 1

We sold our brand new 2004 Lunar 640 in 2010 after 6 years as we were giving up caravanning.  After a year we changed our minds and bought a small 2 berth Clubman, but we had to make up the bed every night plus bed uncomfortable. 

A month or two later we traded it in for a twin axle EW and got back what we paid for the Clubman.  The EW although more spacious involved climbing over one another to use the bathroom during the night.  After 6 months in 2011 we traded the EW in for a brand new Delta Ti and only lost about £300. 

We kept the Delta for about 5 years, but traded it in for a Buccaneer as issues with the dealership not doing a damp and other repairs correctly.  Sadly we had to reject the 2016 Buccaneer due to a catalogue of faults and bought a 2018 Buccaneer which we still have and hope to have for the next several years as it suits our needs.

In general when we have a good suitable caravan we keep it as long as practical.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Thought OP was asking "why do you change caravans" not why you don't???? :unsure: 

If you had read a little further into the OP ---"If this is not applicable to you, how long have you had your present van / motor home?"

Seems to me to invite the answer tendered.

;)

Plus one here for Baileys-we loved our Pegasus so much and no issues that were Bailey's fault and no really major issues at all-all sorted by minor diy ness!

. But that wasn't the question-or first van was a lovely lovely Avondale Argente (DALE) 2 birth to try out caravanning.. We hadn't caravanned before but had camped. We were limited on towing weight as we bought the Dacia Duster-1500kg limit before the van. ONLY SOLD THIS as the father in law and daughter expressed an interest in coming with us and we were fed up with making up a bed so bought a fixed bed 4 birth  we could tow- the lovely Buzby, Bailey Pegasus Verona.  Since we have had it my daughter refuses to sleep in the van -awning only and father in law -refuses full stop-cottages only!

The poor old Dacia was racking up the miles so SWMBO decided it was change car-Nissan Navara.Stupidly I said-well now we can tow anything, and once she starts looking that is it. The new Bucanneer Cruiser is lovely has a better bed layout for us and is  a hotel on wheels. PLUS we got nearly as much in px for the Pegasus as we paid after 2.5 years of use-we couldn't say no!(she said!)

Oh and Avondale 3 years, Bailey 2 1/2 years Buc, 2months and counting.

Edited by Jezzerb

23 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

1 hour ago, Doosan said:

Doosan is right to say what he did. He does not fall into the first two categories so he answered my question  If this (The above)  is not applicable to you, how long have you had your present van / motor home?

Thank you Doosan

• Thanks 1

We had friends who traded in their twin axle Bailey caravan every three years regardless.  They never ever washed the dishes in the caravan, they never used the bathroom and seldom cooked in the caravan preferring to buy takeaways.  Also always removed the carpets. 

The caravan was used for two months over December and January when the static site was closed.  They occasionally used it for their annual holiday if not flying overseas.

When my wife and I were both working and had a new(ish) car each we tended to replace them and the caravan on a three year cycle. When replacing the caravan it would have been used for some 150 rallies with different clubs plus holidays and been towed around 33,000 miles, so be on its second set of tyres and starting to look its age. 

Things have changed since retirement, and our MH is now ten years old with a relatively low mileage still.

Gordon.

We've only owned one caravan, bought brand new in 2013 and have only ever bought one brand new car (2016).  

Luckily they're both still in really good condition and meet all of our needs because to trade in for the latest equivalent would cost an arm and a leg, money I could better spend elsewhere.  

Fingers crossed we get  a good few more years out of them yet.

Our first van was a two berth £500 tryout (with a portapotti and no shower), to see if we liked caravanning. After about nine months it was replaced with a s/h 4 berth (side dinette) Bailey Ranger which we kept for a couple of years.

That was replaced with a new (end of line) 5 berth Bailey Provence, end dinette, L shaped lounge which we got when the grandkids were young. The rear  dinette was a good place to keep them entertained and as their sleeping quarters. We'd use the dinette with the bed made up as a double when we didn't have the kids and it worked quite well although clambering over each other during the night was a bit of a pain, especially as it was a fairly narrow access

We kept that for just under three years although I didn't like the L shaped lounge all that much so we changed back to a side dinette Bailey Champagne which we kept for three years.

We didn't really need to change the Champagne but saw the Unicorn 1 Madrid at one of the shows which we both loved (another side dinette). That was destined to be our forever van but only lasted for about three years until SWMBO insisted on a twin fixed bed arrangement as she got p'd off with making beds every day although we used the front seats as singles with sleeping bags, so it wasn't really much of a chore).

We've had our current  U3 Cadiz for nearly five years which does everything we want or need . We have no intention of changing at the moment as we are more than happy with it and haven't yet seen anything that appeals (although we'll be going to the NEC in February, just to see whats around - so watch this space).

Personally I still prefer the side dinette layout but I'm happy to put up with the twin fixed beds to keep the peace.

Edited by matelodave

Want more space in the kitchen and an island bed so the current Chipping Sodbury special Bailey pursuit 430/4 will be replaced by a Chipping sodbury special Phoenix 640.

26 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Want more space in the kitchen and an island bed so the current Chipping Sodbury special Bailey pursuit 430/4 will be replaced by a Chipping sodbury special Phoenix 640.

We got one of them, cracking bit of kit at SUCH a good price :) My pal has a Cabrera (identical layout etc) and he paid six GRAND more for it, can’t see where the extra money is as we have just about everything that’s in the Cabrera except Alde heating, but the Truma combi is the best we’ve ever had!! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

We got one of them, cracking bit of kit at SUCH a good price :) My pal has a Cabrera (identical layout etc) and he paid six GRAND more for it, can’t see where the extra money is as we have just about everything that’s in the Cabrera except Alde heating, but the Truma combi is the best we’ve ever had!! 

Andy

We looked at the Cabrera and it does have a better kitchen with a better fridge but there was other differences that we did not like and decided on the 640.

Price difference for us was 4000 plus a free motor mover on the 640. Not sure how to value the mover since I would be unlikely to buy one if it wasn't included.

Changed nearly 4 years ago from a gorgeous tent to our first caravan, mainly because my wife's back stopped liking floor sleeping, and because with retirement beckoning it would extend our season, even though it's significantly smaller than the tent!
First 'van, now 19 years old, bought at the time. No intention of changing unless it suffers serious failure because it does pretty well what we want, we don't want the expense either, and we love it dearly. Would hope to change for another the same if we had to, assuming we could still find a decent one.

We have bought our first new van this year , this is after many years of trading up from older Van's,  all suited our needs at the time and the budget we could afford. This van will hopefully give us many years of happy carefree caravanning. 

On 08/11/2019 at 16:58, Mr Plodd said:

Clever marketing and annual “updates” are designed to make us think that our current caravans are “out of date” so we should replace them ..... if you have the money why not enjoy it, no shops (or caravan dealers)  in a cemetery 

They don't need clever marketing to make me think that - my current caravan IS out of date.  I'm not changing it though, it's fine. In fact I could go and buy a new van with cash tommorow, but shopping is on the negative side of my scale of enjoyment.

Some people seem to get a thrill out of new things for the sake of newness, but I don't see the point; in fact I get pleasure from familiar things around me and get sad when I need to replace them for practical reasons.

Edited by Bolingbroke
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • +1 2