BOAC

Why do you change caravans?

I hear of people changing their caravans / motor home regardless of anything else every three years or so, and I have always wondered why? If you fall into this category can you enlighten me as to why?

If you do not fall into the above category but have changed your van /motor home in the last three years, why did you?  If this is not applicable to you, how long have you had your present van / motor home?

Thanks

Edited by BOAC
Word mod

Not changed every three years for the sake of it.  Have changed vans as our needs changed. Always about the layout. Double dinette layout when our remaining teen sometimes came with us, sometimes didn’t.  Bunks when we took the grandkids. Bigger  bathroom when they outgrew the bunks.  Now an 8 footer behemoth on a seasonal pitch and a cheap as chips xplore 302 for quick and easy touring.

nanamel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've just part-exchanged a 2 berth 2015 Coachman Vision for a Unicorn Valencia. We decided we wanted a 4 berth  with fixed bed, from a dealer near us in Telford.

The Coachman was a very good van and we were sorry to see it go. However, we should have bought  a Coachman 560  in 2015 with the same  layout as the new Valencia!

It could be that this is the last 'van we have, due to anypossible possible health issues down the track, or green/climate issues. If it's the last we'll take it to hivernage storage in the south of the Rhone.

• Thanks 1

We swapped our Coachman 2015 VIP 520 absolutely nothing wrong with it and was going to be our last van, for a Coachman 2019 VIP 520 as we really liked the new front and sprung upholstery again this was going to definitely our last van. Then after 9 months of ownership and our experience with Dometic Toilet and Cooker and their after-sales customer service, we were gutted to to have to again decide to swap, so, we swapped to a Coachman 2010 VIP 520 now with Thetford Toilet and Cooker.  We took a big hit as well, but hope we did the right move this will be our last (final)

We are due to go away for Christmas so will see if it lives up to our expectations.. 

• Like 1

Most people change because they think  they should, it’s the same with cars! 

Clever marketing and annual “updates” are designed to make us think that our current caravans are “out of date” so we should replace them.

I am sure that a persons financial situation is the biggest factor, if you have the money why not enjoy it, no shops (or caravan dealers)  in a cemetery 

Some will use the argument that they need to change regularly to ensure they don’t lose too much money when the time DOES eventually come to change. I am not sure that is actually borne out by the figures though. If you consider how much a caravan depreciates in say 10 years, and compare that to how much it would cost to change every three I bet the “changer” forks out more over the same period. 

Others change because the layout they thought would suit them, doesn’t, or family changes, or their tow car changes, or they just “fancy a change” Logic has little to do with the latter! 

We changed caravans at last years NEC show. I had no intention whatsoever of changing BUT (there’s always one of those isn’t there)  we saw a dealers special, with what, after several years practical use,  we realised was the ideal layout for us. Fixed rear longitudinal bed and centre bathroom. Our current van was a rear bathroom French bed, good but not perfect. The price was VERY good (and much less than I thought) and I was in the very fortunate situation  of being able to pay for it outright. 

I have every intention of keeping it for many years to come, but we all know about “Good intentions” don’t we! 

As I used to say to my mum “The only purpose money serves is to make your stay on this planet as comfortable, and enjoyable, as possible”  So I spend mine doing both! 

Did I NEED to change? Of course I didn’t! the one I had was perfectly adequate and only 5 years old (purchased second hand) did I want to change? No, not until Mrs P drew my attention to this particular caravan, am I happy I changed? Yes, very. Am I happy I purchased new? again yes! Do I have anyone else to please? Yes, Mrs P and we are BOTH very happy we changed. 

Andy

And there is always something very nice about owning something brand spanking new isn’t there! 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

Same reason some people replace their new car every year - personally I hope they continue to do so as it means a good supply of 'nearly new' vans/cars for those of us who do not want to chuck away a few grand every year.

We got our 2011 Clubman si in 2013 with a £9,000 saving on the new price and it is superbly equipped and has everything we need and has been trouble free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may have to change my caravan because of Greta and her environmental extremist friends.

My caravan weighs 2 tonnes, to tow it legally at 100 Km/h here in Germany my tow car must have a Kerbweight of at least 2200Kg, there are not many cars these days that weigh that much and as I already pay 560€ a year road tax which is due to tripple over the next couple of years due to misguided extremists I may decide to get rid of my caravan altogether and start flying more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I may have to change my caravan because of Greta and her environmental extremist friends.

My caravan weighs 2 tonnes, to tow it legally at 100 Km/h here in Germany my tow car must have a Kerbweight of at least 2200Kg, there are not many cars these days that weigh that much and as I already pay 560€ a year road tax which is due to tripple over the next couple of years due to misguided extremists I may decide to get rid of my caravan altogether and start flying more.

Ah!!

The wonderful “Saint Greta of Thunberg”  mankind’s saviour B)

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our first Caravan was a 1974 model and very basic but did us. Then we saw a Bailey Senator Indiana with Island Bed and shower etc so got one , loved it but then saw the rear bathroom models and read all about the wood frame rot and moisture problems ON this SITE so decided we needed ALU TEC frame so got a Pegasus Rimini . Love it just a bit disappointed with the wardrobe in the toilet but can live with that. Then read on this site about all the problems with the ALU TEC models and leaks ??? So may go for a Grande model , like the extra room and newer to . But the Grande models here in NZ are $ 80,000  about £40,000 so the price is a bit of a hindrance!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - our first caravan, bought new, started leaking at 17 years old so we bought another new one - that started leaking at 12 years old so we bought another new one - that's 7 years old so we should be worried given the arithmetic progression!

• Haha 2

We change caravans every 2-3 years, most recently because our 2016 Delta Ti was falling apart lol. Because we spend 300+ nights away every year, we also tend to become bored with what we've got and fancy a change. Same goes for cars - 7 different ones in 5 years 🤔.

• Like 1

When we returned to caravaning after many years away, we bought a Lunar Clubman SI.

We really liked the layout and the decor.

After 10 months we upgraded to a Delta TI, because -

1. the Delta had a sensible 300kg payload

2. we liked the tall fridge

3. the front beds/seats were long enough to sit on with feet up or lie on

4. there was some extra space

5. with previous caravans I had always felt happier towing a TA

The caravan is now 4 years old and we have no serious plans to change it, largely because we have made so many alterations that I would hate to start all over again!

We bought what we thought was the right caravan for us in early 2016. Our first, brand new. So far, we’ve proven ourselves right. We love it, it’s exactly right for us, and we’ve no plans to change. I have idled away time looking online at others and can’t find anything that’d suit us better anyway. 

Our previous caravan was a 2014 Bürstner Averso Plus 510TK, great caravan, we loved it but it had a double bed that pulled down from the roof which wasn’t great after my various knee operations and the bunk beds got a bit small for my daughter. We upgraded to our Tabbert Pucinni 560 in 2016, got a good deal from our local dealer and we’re really happy with it.

We’ll probably keep a few more years and then take on the in-laws Motorhome.

If I were to move back to the UK and I wanted to continue caravanning I’d probably get a new one with all the ‘stuff’ that one needs when camping in a field with limited facilities, probably get an Adria.

We are just about to change our 2017 Elddis Affinity 550 for a 2020 Swift Celebrate Super Quattro EB.

Went to the NEC not particularly planning to change but appreciated the different feel of a 8ft wide caravan.

We loved the Affinity it has proved the perfect layout but have changed for a larger van with more living space as we are spending more time and longer periods in the van.

Never had a TA before so will be interesting to see the difference.

I came into the caravanning world in 2004 up to now I am on my 4th it was  not change for the sake of changing.

I changed my first caravan which was a Pageant Vendee after 18 months for a Senator Virginia because of the island bed. I kept that for 6 years until my wife sat in a series 2 Unicorn Valencia and she liked the feel of the caravan and  the big front window kept this one for 5 years until she was fed up with the side bed we now own a Unicorn S4  Vigo. as an aside I used to change my car every 9 to 12 months because it make economic sense to change.

Edited by oldboy

Change. Because I’m told to. 

Seriously if I go back 50 plus years in order as far as I can remember

Home made

Needed bigger van. 

Wanted bigger van. Marden 

Bargain cheap cancelled export order. Silverline 12 

Ditto and bigger. Silverline 14

New wife = new van. Esprit 14

Bigger better. Bailey Pagent

Bigger better and first fixed bed (also half price at 2 years old) Luner EB

10 years on first Alu tech Valencia 1

SWMBO fell in love with Big Bailey Window Valencia 2

SWMBO fell in love with Mk3 Valencia as did I

Now time to go 8 ft. Probably last van we’ll buy. Bailey Estoril on order.  If they stop us towing. I’ll park it in our woods and buy an electric car. 

Edited by Alan Stanley

3 hours ago, BOAC said:

If this is not applicable to you, how long have you had your present van / motor home?

Come the New Year it will 12 years with this one. Still solid and comfortable, still by most standards a good payload at 282kgs [ought to have been 300], just me getting a bit old and could do with a smaller lighter van, this is 8 m LOA and 1900kgs. Always deeply researched such purchases, so tend to know what we are buying before, rather than find out afterwards.

Probability, is the next camping unit will be a PVC motorhome, for various age related issues, but not keen to change for as long as we can put that off.

I changed mine at 6 months old because it was so badly built. I doubt it would have survived for much longer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have bought a new one every 2 or 3 years since 2002 simply because we wanted to and had the means to do so. Prior to 2002 we had three second hand models.

We’ve just changed for a brand new caravan as we needed a different layout. 

Our last van was 8 yrs old when we bought it and we kept if for 7 yrs. it had a side dinette/bunk which our son has now outgrown so a different layout was needed 

We only bought brand new as it was the time of year for 2019 caravans to be cleared  from dealerships for the new 2020 models, so we got a reasonable deal. 

I think, on average we’ve changed ‘vans around every 5 or 6 years.  We have fancied a change I suppose.  Two I remember proved leaky, but mainly we changed to modernise.  We like our current Coachman very much and I think it could be a keeper.   :)

John.

Still on the first van, bought new at the end of 2016 so just over 3 years old. Mrs FB lusts for a van which means she doesn’t need to climb over me (I don’t share that concern!) and a slightly larger lounge would be nice, but then each caravan we look at has other downsides; some would be a big deal, others wouldn’t.

We always planned to keep this van 5 years, the larger lounge will probably be the clincher so Baileys having an extra long front end puts the Phoenix 640 and Unicorn Cabrera at the front of the queue.

In the last 20 years we have had:

Abbey special edition 3 years and 280 nights  changed due to damp

Hymer Nova 7 years 750 nights changed for layout

Fendt Platin 3 years  370 nights changed when  last UK dealer stopped trading

Lunar Clubman 7 years    840 nights  chaned due to damp and other faults

Hobby Excellant present van 1 year 130 nights

I find changeing and adapting to new vans a pain and dont understand why folk do it, and personally regret parting with either of our past German vans

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - our first caravan, bought new, started leaking at 17 years old so we bought another new one - that started leaking at 12 years old so we bought another new one - that's 7 years old so we should be worried given the arithmetic progression!

Would it not have been cheaper to buy shower caps ?? :D

We are on our 3rd van in 8 years.

The first, a 4 berth, was down sized after 4 years.
The second lasted 3 years when it was replaced by our current van last year.

Both the first and second van had expensive adaptions done because of HER's disability (both bought used), the current one we have not had to alter as it suits our current needs. (Brand new last year)

• Haha 1