Tyre pressure gauge

Johnaldo

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

My mate has a Transit with rear seating, so is basically a very large estate car, yet his doesn’t have TPMS  even though it is  designed to carry passengers! So, to my mind, surely IS Type M1? The powers that be clearly think otherwise :blink:

For  anyone not aware/interested a type M1 vehicle is described Here

Andy

Only minibus is in the M category anything else is classed as commercial N

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

The powers that be clearly view them as an excellent safety device and have legislated that all new cars must be fitted with them.

Would you be kind enough therefore to explain what it is exactly about them that makes you feel so strongly? 

Andy

It was the particular brand not the concept that has caused me and many others significant frustration and anger at their inability to do what it says on the tin.  I binned my set many moons ago as did others here but, as an example, I drove from Chesterfield to North Norfolk before the first sensor awoke!

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

9 hours ago, SamD said:

It was the particular brand not the concept that has caused me and many others significant frustration and anger at their inability to do what it says on the tin.  I binned my set many moons ago as did others here but, as an example, I drove from Chesterfield to North Norfolk before the first sensor awoke!

Thanks, your post wasn’t very clear that it was the make rather than the principle you were referring to.

Bizarrely my experience has been exactly the opposite to yours. I have had my Tyrepal set up for about 5 years now and it has all behaved perfectly! I have just needed to replace the batteries in the wheel sensors occasionally (they last me about two years at a time) 

A pal who does B+E training bought at set at the same time as me for his tow car and trailer, his set up has also worked perfectly. I wonder if they had a “duff batch” at one time?,

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

22 hours ago, Griff said:

I spotted it from an Auto Express test and claimed to be within a 1 PSI tolererance.

Got it from eBay from memory but Amazon also do them.

20191110_090446.thumb.png.8c4b50ae8c0132d29273ea36c5edc40e.png

Make sure the one you receive says RaceX on it.  I ordered one off Amazon Marketplace and the one they sent me was a cheap knock-off.  I complained and they sent me a genuine one saying there had been 'a mistake'.

On 08/11/2019 at 09:13, Johnaldo said:

I have the old ‘pencil’ type of pressure gauge, but I’m finding it’s reading differently each time, and whenever I attach it I seem to lose a couple of psi!

So I’m looking to replace it, and my main criteria is that it has a lock-on mechanism similar to the way in which foot pumps attach … …

00E172E1-51A8-463F-A29C-052A454D1E97.jpeg.9d6ad342adae8390f7216b96935c6aee.jpeg

Yes, I’ve googled, but can anyone actually recommend a gauge like this, please?

TIA, John.

Halfords digital.

Alan

23 hours ago, kelper said:

Why is a clamp-on chuck important to you? 

Kelper, as I said, the main problem I’ve always had is the loss of air every time you use a press-on gauge, whereas I don’t get that with the clip-on connection found on inflators.

On 10/11/2019 at 08:50, Griff said:

I bought one of these as my on the road checker, seals well and a clear analogue display.

Griff, that looks good, and thanks for the recommendation.

23 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Buy a decent TPMS system , Like this   

Andy

Thanks Andy, but my post asked for recommendations for clip-on pressure gauges.

1 hour ago, Crannoghome said:

Make sure the one you receive says RaceX on it.  I ordered one off Amazon Marketplace and the one they sent me was a cheap knock-off.  I complained and they sent me a genuine one saying there had been a mistake

Thanks for the recommendation Crannoghome.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Most good tyre pressure gauges boast an accuracy of +/- 2%.  So don't buy a gauge with a bigger range than you need. 

A 0-100psi gauge could be +/- 2psi!

A press on gauge will lose less air than a clamp on chuck, surely?  Especially if it is straight on or has a head that swivels.  It's the 90-degree heads that can be awkward.  The standard was ANSI B40.1 Grade B but this has been superseded by  ANSI/ASME B40.100-2013.

Edited by Guest
standard updated in 2005 and 2013!

28 minutes ago, kelper said:

Most good tyre pressure gauges boast an accuracy of +/- 2%.  So don't buy a gauge with a bigger range than you need. 

A 0-100psi gauge could be +/- 2psi!

A press on gauge will lose less air than a clamp on chuck, surely?  Especially if it is straight on or has a head that swivels.  It's the 90-degree heads that can be awkward.  The standard was ANSI B40.1 Grade B but this has been superseded by  ANSI/ASME B40.100-2013.

A straight pencil gauge surely loses the least amount of air of all the types - and they're generally more accurate.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I could not find a good, online review of tyre pressure gauges.  The ones I found did not actually test the accuracy, they just repeated the maker's claims.  AutoExpress only tested a few models.

2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Kelper, as I said, the main problem I’ve always had is the loss of air every time you use a press-on gauge, whereas I don’t get that with the clip-on connection found on inflators.

I tend to set the electric pump a little higher than required - the built in gauge under-reads by about 6lbs so I set it to requirement plus about 7lbs.  If I use my ancient foot pump - quicker for just one or two lbs the built in gauge also under-reads by about four lbs so I put the marker needle to about five  lbs over requirement.

I then use my little electronic gauge to bring the pressure down to the required 32, 35 or 62lbs (depending on which car or the caravan) 

The TPMS built into our cars only measures wheel rotation (using the ABS system I believe) rather than actual tyre pressures.  Works well for flagging up the loss of pressure in a single wheel but you do have to check all the wheels to determine which wheel and to ensure that it is only a single wheel.  Basic but quite effective and it certainly alerted us to a very slow puncture in a rear wheel.

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.