Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire Man

Winter storage heating

Hi, Due to vans being stolen and things going missing ie. batteries from were we stored our van we have decided to keep it at home. Apart from better security, this also gives us the opportunity to have the van heating on low over winter to keep away the dreaded damp and condensation. Hence my query, to what temperature would you recommend to set the van thermostat for the best? The heating is the Alde wet system.

As always your valuable advice is always appreciated.

Cheers, Yorkshire man. :rolleyes:

I would have it set at a low 10 deg C or thereabouts just to keep a little heat in there when the temperatures plummet.

we have ours set at 13

Ours is at home and we have never put the heating on over winter unless we have friends use it when they stay over. The fridge does get used a lot over Christmas for extra drinks storage though!!!

• I agree completely 3

I don’t quite see the need to heat the caravan unless you are about to use it in the next day or two. A bit of waste of energy in my opinion.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 2
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 6

Over the winter months, I have mine set to 5°C. 

Washroom door, cupboard doors and wardrobe door open, bed raised.

The warmth is noticeable when I go into the caravan on a cold & frosty morning.

The through flow of air via the gas dropouts and the roof light vents, keeps it aired.  Nothing frozen, no condensation.

Also it isn't starting from cold for when we go away, which is every month, so warm up on site is quicker.  Nothing worse than arriving on site and it takes at least 24 hours for the fabric of the caravan to get warm with the resulting condensation whilst it's doing so.

Edited by Wunny

We too have our caravan stored on the side of the house with a dedicated outdoor socket to plug into, the fridge is left on and we have the Truma blown  air heating in the caravan, it is set on 500w and the temp dial is set at 3-4, this maintains about 5deg.

Don't forget to leave cupboards and lockers open to allow air to circulate, the water pipes run behind them and unless open can trap cold air, which can freeze the pipes.

The problem with leaving the ALDE heating system on is that it keeps the circulating water hot all the time.  As far as I am aware, the thermostat just controls the circulating pump not the circulating water temperature.

If you really desperately want to leave some form of heating on then I'd suggest that a tubular heater , a greenhouse heater or a small fan heater with a frost setting would be better.

We've never heated the van, nor our boat when we had one and never had problems with damp or condensation.

Edited by matelodave
  • I agree completely 1

As we use our MH frequently throughout the whole year we rarely drain down the water system but equally as it is stored at home we do enable the trace heating in freezing conditions, just to prevent water pipes from freezing, unless we are using the MH. We have a digital monitor on board and in addition to current temperature and humidity also records the highest and lowest readings since last reset. I've just looked and on this cold and frosty morning the temp is currently 3 deg C inside the MH and the trace heating is on but will doubtless turn off during the day. On the rare occasions when the MH is not being used and the water drained down, we will not leave any heating on.

Little heat will cause condensation and better not to heat .

You might need to inform your insurance if it is now stored at home and not in storage .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • I agree completely 2

7 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Agreed but the only heat we have is just enough to prevent water pipes freezing as the outside temperature approaches zero, and is off at other times.

7 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

You might need to inform your insurance if it is now stored at home and not in storage .

I assume that is not directed towards me as our caravans and motorhomes have never been kept in storage. If we couldn't use them "at the drop of a hat" we probably would not own a caravan or motorhome.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Agreed but the only heat we have is just enough to prevent water pipes freezing as the outside temperature approaches zero, and is off at other times.

I assume that is not directed towards me as our caravans and motorhomes have never been kept in storage. If we couldn't use them "at the drop of a hat" we probably would not own a caravan or motorhome.

No at the OP but changing where the caravan is stored can effect your insurance .

I know all my caravan insurance companies required them to be notified if it was at home on my drive for more than 72 hrs same with my MH now as you change the risk .

Dave

44 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

I disagree, condensation forms when moisture rich warm air comes into contact with a surface that is colder than it, there will be little moisture in air at 5 deg's, and the temperature difference between that and the ambient temperature will be minimal.

More important to ensure the caravan is adequately ventilated to keep air circulating.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

No at the OP but changing where the caravan is stored can effect your insurance .

I know all my caravan insurance companies required them to be notified if it was at home on my drive for more than 72 hrs same with my MH now as you change the risk .

Fair enough Dave :)

I presume the insurance notification is because the insurers perceive the risk to be higher if parked on an open driveway, instead of "in storage". Ours lives behind locked gates and has similar security measures to commercial storage facilities.

55 minutes ago, Gordon said:

That's what the anti freeze is for.

IMHO heating the van in storage is an unnecessary extravagance, Greta Thunberg would definitely not be impressed!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

3 minutes ago, Miggs said:

IMHO heating the van in storage is an unnecessary extravagance, Greta Thunberg would definitely not be impressed!

Unfortunately hot and cold pipes don't have antifreeze in them!

....and anything that gets up Greta Thunberg's nose if fine with me :)

• Haha 5

some folk on here have to keep their 'van in a gold storage  because they had a break in  or something  which made them claim. 

I was always told that putting a bit of heat in the 'van caused condensation and that it was best just to air it through now and again.

6 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Unfortunately hot and cold pipes don't have antifreeze in them!

Why would you not drain down hot & cold pipes for winter storage?

• I agree completely 1

29 minutes ago, Miggs said:

As said the hot and cold water pipes do not have anti freeze in them as per your earlier post.

17 minutes ago, Miggs said:

Because we caravan even through the winter , and also use it as a spare room if family visit.

So keeping water in the pipes and keeping the caravan above the outside temperature is quite important to us.

We tour all year and use it as a spare room but we still drain down after each time away plus keep a 500watt oil filled radiator in the caravan which comes on daily from 12mid to 7am. Never had any condensation problems and it keeps it aired.

10 minutes ago, David55 said:

We tour all year and use it as a spare room but we still drain down after each time away plus keep a 500watt oil filled radiator in the caravan which comes on daily from 12mid to 7am. Never had any condensation problems and it keeps it aired.

Miggs was referring to anti freeze in the water pipes which would poison you.  Maybe they were referring to the heating pipes.  We drain down the water pipes and the boiler at all times when not using the caravan.

1 hour ago, Miggs said:

IMHO heating the van in storage is an unnecessary extravagance

Heating the caravan whilst in storage is a bit like Tyron bands. They cost money and whilst they probably don’t do any harm, no-one has ever demonstrated that one would be worse off without them. Same applies to heating.

• I agree completely 1

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Man said:

Hi, Due to vans being stolen and things going missing ie. batteries from were we stored our van we have decided to keep it at home. Apart from better security, this also gives us the opportunity to have the van heating on low over winter to keep away the dreaded damp and condensation. Hence my query, to what temperature would you recommend to set the van thermostat for the best? The heating is the Alde wet system.

As always your valuable advice is always appreciated.

Cheers, Yorkshire man. :rolleyes:

While heating may do something for condensation, it will do absolutely nothing for the dreaded damp. The latter is caused by water getting in from the outside and getting into the structure of a van. As nearly every van has a waterproof lining, little or none of the water ingress can escape inside the van where any heating can deal with it.

When we stored at home, we used a fan heater with thermostat control. Set to about 5 deg. It would only cut in for about 10 mins every hour with below zero outside temperature. 

We did it mainly for frost protection, as the plumbing would not drain fully, due to pipes going up and over wheel boxes