VinnyE

Sky+ DRX 890C any good in a van?

Hi, I am thinking about using my Sky + box in the van since we have upgraded to Sky Q at home and have the "old" box lying around.

We have stayed on a couple of sites this year that have had poor TV reception, so -

So can this be done ?

I have my "old" card still in the box - will this be required or a new one ?

I presume that I will need to by a suitable dish and LNB - the engineer took those away with them.

I will probably get some sort of Satellite Alignment meter - to aid setting up on sites etc.

Anything else required?

I use a very old Sky box in our 'van, certainly not as posh as your + box, and it works just fine on the basic range of channels.  It doesn't record or save but I'm not concerned about about that.  If you want to do the fancy stuff you have to pay.  I just want to watch TV for nothing and use Sky when I can't get an ordinary signal.  My dish is one of those oval domestic ones mounted on a tripod with a single LNB.  

John.

Edited by Leedslad

I have been told by reliable sources that the Sky+HD box can be used with the card from the Sky box.  Why not try it at home?  There are some threads on this forum regarding Sky Q.  As we saw no advantage for us of having Sky Q we decided to stick with Sky+HD.  :D

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Why not try it at home?  

Because the $ky Q lnb (2-connections only) won't work with the old $ky boxes. 

Unless OP has had a 6-output 'hybrid LNB' fitted (usually have to ask/demand one for other (free)sat boxes in the home) when they auto detect what type of box is connected.

Thanks for the replies guys!

LeedsLad, recording / saving would be nice - but not essential. Glad to know your system works, will buy a dish with LNB and set it up at home to see if I can get it working.

Durbanite, did you mean the box will work with its original card in? (May be me being a bit dim!).

Rodders53, no fancy hybrid gizzmos here! :)

Just take your sky q card with you. Connect your old box up and as long as it’s connected to the internet ( we use our iPhone as a hotspot ) it will work. Once connected go to a channel you pay for, sky sports for example. It will say that the card is not paired to box and ask you if you would like to pair it. Choose yes and it will pair. Once home just re pair it to your sky q box.

trust me I’ve been doing it for years 👍

Can I add my bit to the above.

You don't shotgun cable if you are watching only. Without a contract or paying a standalone £10 per month to record you don't need to feed both tuners so a single cable is all that is needed. As such 25m of cable and two bags of connectors and adapters from - items 647FK, 17061 and 95730 respectively. Fitting them is very easy with plenty of on-line help.

I would get a 60cm ovoid dish rather than a 'Sky' dish as they are easier to manage and align. There are plenty on eBay but do make sure you get one with an easily removable LNB arm else transit can become an issue - they are not small!

Finally look on eBay for a lightweight tripod - I have a Konig which weights less than 2Kg. Provided it has a clear line of sight in the right direction a sat dish will work at ground level so don't worry about getting a tall tripod BUT do have some good pegs to put over the feet to stop it being blown over.

14 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Because the $ky Q lnb (2-connections only) won't work with the old $ky boxes. 

Unless OP has had a 6-output 'hybrid LNB' fitted (usually have to ask/demand one for other (free)sat boxes in the home) when they auto detect what type of box is connected.

I assume the OP has a stand alone dish that eh can try at home.  All they then need to do is to connect up the old Sky box to the stand alone, insert the card from the Sky Q box to test if it works.  I have been told on more than one occasion that the card is backward compatible and will pair allowing programs to be recorded so they will need shotgun coaxial cable.  I would suggest a minimum length of 10m but 15m is good. 

You can use the Sky+HD box when searching for a signal as long as you have a compass or use an App like "satfinder" which will show you the direction in which to point the dish.