Fortyfoot

Which Volvo

Hi there, I have been looking round for a while and have seen three cars that have interested me, details below.

Any comments on these will be appreciated. I bought my existing Xtrail in 2007 and have not kept up to date with changes in cars. I have had a few Volvos in the past and really like my last one which was an auto.

How does the geartronic work? Is it better for towing than the  manual? The first one has a tow bar.

https://www.dyrdalsgarageyork.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-xc70-2-4-d5-se-lux-geartronic-awd-5dr-york-201910042968271

https://www.dyrdalsgarageyork.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-xc70-2-4-d5-se-geartronic-awd-5dr-york-201909182368426

https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-xc60-d4-se-lux-nav-awd-estate-twilight-bronze-metallic-automatic-diesel/id-125496260/

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

One is a Phase 2 the other two are Phase3 and a lot more money so not comparable. The middle one is a 2014 model probably Euro5. This would be my choice of the two Phase 2 vehicles. Designation of Volvo cars has changed several times and so is confusing. I think early D4 was a four cylinder engine whereas later D4 is a Volvo5 cylinder engine very similar to D5 so check this. The Volvo 5cylinder engine is the best choice in my opinion, and the later versions are a bit more economic on fuel. I have a Volvo V70 which is basically the same vehicle and its 10yrs old, and I cannot bring myself to part with it despite its age. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ern, when I take my van to the storeage site I have to park on quite a slope and the clutch smells when I get through the entry gate. That's why I am interested in views about the geartronic and how it works. In the detail it says the middle one is 5 cylinders. 

Fortyfoot

The Geartronic on a V70 or XC70 is a conventional torque converter and planetary gears type of automatic, built by Aisin and used in many FWD/AWD cars around the world.

Volvo have used D4/D5 to indicate different things at different times - it used to indicate the difference between four-cylinder and five-cylinder engines but more recently it simply denotes the power band, D5 being more powerful than D4.

• Thanks 1

Fortyfoot, Ours is a D4 auto AWD and its brilliant both as a tug and a daily driver, returns mid 40's solo and mid to high 20's towing. Going to main dealer for servicing is painful, I have a good independent which is much less painful.

Have been up and down some fairly slippery gradients with no problems or smells...

I have been thinking about changing to something a little newer and have had a good look around from Disco's to Evoques and Lexus and keep coming back to XC60 or even the XC90. Going to have a look at the new style 60 on Saturday with OH.

Good luck with whatever you choose:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

The Geartronic on a V70 or XC70 is a conventional torque converter and planetary gears type of automatic, built by Aisin and used in many FWD/AWD cars around the world.

Volvo have used D4/D5 to indicate different things at different times - it used to indicate the difference between four-cylinder and five-cylinder engines but more recently it simply denotes the power band, D5 being more powerful than D4.

The D for Diesel or T for Petrol/hybrid badging has been around for a few years now across the range, and relates to Power Output. 

I have a D4 (181bhp) XC60, which is 5 cyl but has a different turbo to the  equivalent  (215bhp) D5. In the XC60  at least, the later Mk1 D4 badged cars have a 4Cyl engine if the car is 2WD, but AWD variants have the 5cyl albeit with the same 181BHP rating. 

Historically the 5Cyl has also been badged as 2.4D - this being a lesser state of tune to the flagship D5 but effectively the same engine. Just don't touch any Volvo badged as 2.0D: This will be the Ford/PSA diesel engine with a retro-fitted DPF (Euro 4). It uses a fluid called 'Eloys' to dose the fuel and alter the soot burn-off temp at regen. This along with the DPF itself are service items at 35000K and 75000K intervals respectively and can get very expensive if you do big miles. 

Edit  - all new Volvos have a 4Cyl engine as the 5Cyl engine was killed off when the V70/V60/XC60 were replaced. 

Edited by Custard Avenger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son has a V90 AWD “Ocean Sailing” variant estate, and it’s a VERY nice bit of kit indeed.

Shame about the sky high VED because of its list price being over £40K though (but he did buy it almost new the lucky so-and-so) 

Andy

• Thanks 1

I don't know if the current Geartronic transmission is the same as older ones but I have it in my 2018 V90 D4 and it is very competent towing a 1624kg twin axle caravan. I tow with it in Eco mode due to being exceptionally mean and it's fine. My D4 is a FOUR cylinder engine, not five.

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Thanks 1

The Aisin conventional auto used by Volvo is a well known reliable and smooth gearbox used by many other manufacturers.  It's not as sharp and crisp as the ZF rivals but as such suits a Volvo and towing very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

Newer version get the 8 speed.

• Thanks 1

I have the V70 geartronic, it’s only a D3, but the 5 cylinder model being 2013.  Decent mpg.  36 round town.  Nearly 50 on a long run and 24 towing.  I tow 1500 kg, without a problem.  Fast enough for me.

I did not get the XC70 because I could not find one at the time.  Theoretically that should be better for towing, but mine feels solid.  

If changing I would look at an XC60.  But as I am so happy with this one I won’t rush.

John

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Custard Avenger said:

Just don't touch any Volvo badged as 2.0D: This will be the Ford/PSA diesel engine with a retro-fitted DPF (Euro 4). It uses a fluid called 'Eloys' to dose the fuel and alter the soot burn-off temp at regen. This along with the DPF itself are service items at 35000K and 75000K intervals respectively and can get very expensive if you do big miles. 

The EOLYS isn’t a service item so the pouch needs replacing when the car tells you it is needed - if it gets done at 35k there is a fault, they tend to last 80-100k depending on how often you fuel up (the EOLYS is injected when the fuel filler is opened so putting £10 a time in will use it up quickly, filling from near empty won’t).

Again the DPF, which is not a retro-fit item, was a down as being replaced at 120k for PSA cars; typically it needs a clean at a fraction of the price then it lasts for another 50-70k before replacement is required.

Plenty of PSA vehicles running around with the generally bomb-proof 2.0HDi ‘DW10’ that have required no more than an EOLYS replacement and DPF clean approaching 200k.

I’d prefer a 5-pot for acoustic reasons but it’s unfair to say the 2.0D needs to be avoided.

• Thanks 1

Ive had a XC70 2.4 D5 215bhp 2014 for 5 years now and honestly you dont know you have a caravan on the back along the motorway.  Also, its got us out of some pretty muddy situations too. Excellent towcar IMHO. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I have liked the "70" shape for many years, It's high on my list. 

I have noticed "stop/starts" on some models, I presume these are the ones which switch of when stationary? I had not realized that cheaper road tax was  available on some cars including this one, better mpg also.

Fortyfoot

20 hours ago, Fortyfoot said:

For what it's worth, personally I am biased against diesels, and prefer a "real" body colour instead of grey or black, hence I would not choose any of the ones you have listed :( 

18 hours ago, Fortyfoot said:

when I take my van to the storage site I have to park on quite a slope and the clutch smells when I get through the entry gate. That's why I am interested in views about the geartronic and how it works.

In the detail it says the middle one is 5 cylinders. 

BUT on a positive note, I have had numerous automatic transmission towcars cars, several of which have been Volvos. The last Volvo also had a 2.3 ltr five cylinder engine and that drove as smoothly as the 3.2 Ltr six cylinder Volvo we currently have. We've also had vehicles (including the current V70) with geartronic transmission, and that tows our boat, and various trailers with ease. The auto is great for use in traffic, and makes manoeuvering a trailer on a slope a doddle, and the manual control of the box is handy when the road ahead gives the driver information that the gearbox does not know about yet! :) Four wheel drive does give added assurance but all 4x4s we've had have had permanent 4x4 transmission, so I have no experience of those that are 2x4 until conditions dictate.

I confess to being a bit of a Volvo fan having owned seven of them over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a 2012  XC70 D5 AWD. I thought it was a great towcar but SWMBO said it tended to "bounce" when towing. 

Swapped it for a 2015 V70 D4 which also tows well but doesn't quite have the "grunt" that the XC70 had.  

• Thanks 1

It's worth noting that even the higher powered 215PS 2.4 5 cylinder models are capped at 440NM.

This is due to the torque handling capacity of the gearbox.  

Saying that it's still very reliable even when matched to an engine at it's limit.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

The EOLYS isn’t a service item so the pouch needs replacing when the car tells you it is needed - if it gets done at 35k there is a fault, they tend to last 80-100k depending on how often you fuel up (the EOLYS is injected when the fuel filler is opened so putting £10 a time in will use it up quickly, filling from near empty won’t).

Again the DPF, which is not a retro-fit item, was a down as being replaced at 120k for PSA cars; typically it needs a clean at a fraction of the price then it lasts for another 50-70k before replacement is required.

Plenty of PSA vehicles running around with the generally bomb-proof 2.0HDi ‘DW10’ that have required no more than an EOLYS replacement and DPF clean approaching 200k.

I’d prefer a 5-pot for acoustic reasons but it’s unfair to say the 2.0D needs to be avoided.

This was based on experience of a 2.0D V50. The Eloys had to be refilled every 35k or thereabouts. I only ever filled the fuel tank to the brim for this reason (the Eloys tank was over the rear axle and very small) - I say retro-fitted as the Euro3 version of the 2.0D did not have a DPF but was the same engine in the same cars. As it did not get hot enough for regen, it needed the stupid Eloys stuff, something the D5 does not suffer. 

I put 2 DPFs on that car as It was purchased at c.50k and driven for 7 years (to the day) until c.180k. At that point something popped in the engine (throttle jammed open and then limped everywhere - I resented putting anymore money into the car). I was doing big miles so the car got serviced 3 times per year at 12500 intervals. The difference with the Pug variant also extended under the bonnet: they had a manual fuel hand-pump built onto the engine, for fuel filter priming: the Ford/Volvo application did not which made filter changes hard without the correct tool. 

The 2.0D was plenty powerful enough in the V50, but if I had my time again, I would have held out for a D5 V50. That V50  had loads of electrical gremlins and a poor sunroof design, but I was sad when it had to go. 

Edited by Custard Avenger
  • Thanks 1

I am still looking and learning. Today I found a price list for a car I am going to look at,  XC60 (215)  SE LUX AWD AUTO priced at £15,995.00 with 72,000 on the clock.

It's much easier now for me to follow the prices and specs.

https://assets.volvocars.com/en/~/media/united-kingdom/documents/pricelists/my14/volvo-xc60-pricelist.pdf?la=en-gb

I hope this helps some one.

Fortyfoot

On 08/11/2019 at 16:29, Custard Avenger said:

This was based on experience of a 2.0D V50.

Sounds like you had a pup in that case.

On 08/11/2019 at 13:05, logiclee said:

It's worth noting that even the higher powered 215PS 2.4 5 cylinder models are capped at 440NM.

This is due to the torque handling capacity of the gearbox.  

Saying that it's still very reliable even when matched to an engine at it's limit.

I noticed when looking that the full-fat D5 models don’t have much more torque than some of the less powerful 5-pots, hadn’t twigged it was the ‘box

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I noticed when looking that the full-fat D5 models don’t have much more torque than some of the less powerful 5-pots, hadn’t twigged it was the ‘box

Might be why my D3 tows well.

John

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Sounds like you had a pup in that case.

Options are limited for transverse applications due to the limited space available for the gearbox.

With longitudinal layouts it isn't too much of an issue.

It does mean that you should be careful remapping or buying a car that has been remapped.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally made my mind up and got an XC60, 5D, 2014. I bought my previous car in 2007 and had no idea of the improvements there had been since then. I have plenty time to get used to the vehicle before we start caravaning again next year.

I really appreciate the comments which I have received from you all, thanks.

Fortyfoot

XC60 No plate.jpg

• Like 2

👍 Nice, hope you enjoy it and it works well for you, as said previously very happy with ours.

• Thanks 1