Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

What spares do you recommend to carry?

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:55, CommanderDave said:

Surely a gas regulator is available to buy at local caravan accessory shops wherever you are ?

Cable ties ,adjustable spanner ,fuses and batteries for remotes.

Dave

Dave, your list is probably easier to get locally then a gas regulator. Local garage may well let you have / borrow perhaps all but batteries

macafee2

39 minutes ago, kelper said:

A spare pair of spectacles is kept in the car.  I can't drive without them.

A LEGAL requirement in France! And I have seen “Flic” asking Brits to produce their spare pair at roadside checks! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, kelper said:

A spare pair of spectacles is kept in the car.  I can't drive without them.

That ought to be a legal requirement in the UK - it is in some countries.

• I agree completely 2

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Mr Plodd, do you have a link to the pattern water pump?

It looks like a good thing to have a spare of?

Normal toolbox stuff plus multi meter.  Reverse polarity checker which we have never bothered to use.  Spare bulbs for car and spare specs.

With a previous caravan which had a Truma pump we always carried a spare.  We now have an almost brand new Whale equivalent of the the Truma pistol grip in our shed.  We no longer bother with a spare pump as the Whale is standard with the current caravan but a different fitting.

• I agree completely 1

On 07/11/2019 at 12:43, Borussia 1900 said:

I carry spare beer

I carry lots of beer but none of it is spare

• Haha 1

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

1 hour ago, VinnyE said:

Here you go

It’s just the pump unit as you don’t need all of the caravan end fittings, you already have them!

Its not identical to mine but it has a decent flow rate of 1000 litres per minute, many have considerably less (like about 5-600)  Don’t worry about it not having the twin blue plastic pipes attached, just use the one you currently have. One side is for water (held onto the pump outlet by a jubilee clip) and the other side just carries the electric cable and slips over the protrusion on the pump. 

Andy

1000 litres a minute?

Would that be a fire engine pump?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I think it's really 1000 litres per hour:o

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

2 hours ago, VinnyE said:

A spare pump for the water system is probably the most useful spare you can carry.   Over many years of caravanning, I've used mine twice.   The most recent time was two winters ago.   I arrived at Aranhuez, filled the Aquaroll then filled the hot tank.   Having done that, the pump stopped working.   A quick check still showed 12volts at the socket, so I dug out the £5-ebay spare and got water at the taps.   Make no mistake, a cheap model may pump 1000ltr per hour, but to what height.   Use the shower, and the flow becomes a trickle.   Whale used to produce three models of replacement pumps over a wide variety of prices, all with 1000ltrs per hour, but all with different performances at different heights.   So, a cheap model will certainly get you out of trouble, but don't rely on it for successful and long term use.

Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

A spare corkscrew!  I have to hide it or it walks.  A Leatherman.  Gorilla tape.  Two-part epoxy.  Superglue.  A book of first-class stamps for postcards.  A power-pack for charging a phone.  Cable-ties have been listed but what's really hand is re-usable cable ties.  Good for stopping EHU cable getting all tangled and so many odd jobs.  A spare breakaway cable.

• Thanks 1

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Here you go

It’s just the pump unit as you don’t need all of the caravan end fittings, you already have them!

Its not identical to mine but it has a decent flow rate of 1000 litres per minute, many have considerably less (like about 5-600)  Don’t worry about it not having the twin blue plastic pipes attached, just use the one you currently have. One side is for water (held onto the pump outlet by a jubilee clip) and the other side just carries the electric cable and slips over the protrusion on the pump. 

Andy

1000 litres per minute :o that would give one hell of a shower, I don't think my wastemaster would cope (or my back)  :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

1 hour ago, Flat_at said:

1000 litres per minute :o that would give one hell of a shower, I don't think my wastemaster would cope (or my back)  :)

Yeah yeah I know !!! I am sure I am not the only one guilty of a typo :angry: 

1000 litres a minute would be just a tad “over enthusiastic” and probably overload the 12v system somewhat! Can you just imagine standing under a shower with that much water coming out??? Damn near cut you in half I reckon, to say nothing of the effect on the wall  the shower head is mounted on. 

So, for the avoidance of doubt my post SHOULD have read 1000 litres an HOUR! 

Andy

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Correct on both counts! 

A pattern, rather than an original equipment, one is only about £10-£15 so not exactly gold dust. I have had one fail once, we were in Corsica and halfway through a 9 week trip and THATS why I now carry a spare. I had to remove an internal organ as a deposit on the Corsican sourced replacement. 

Andy

Andy is the thing we plug into the side of the van the water pump ? 

22 minutes ago, Charliefarlie said:
20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

If it goes into a water barrel, yes.  If not it is the electrical hook up lead :)

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

21 minutes ago, kelper said:

If it goes into a water barrel, yes.  If not it is the electrical hook up lead :)

Or the gas BBQ pipe ? 

Thanks for your kelp 🤪 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

Just to clarify further. The thing that goes into your water barrel is the water pump. The actual pump is on the water barrel end and THATS what does the actual pumping so is what can fail. The bit that actually fits into the caravan side is “just” the electrical and water connector. If you replace the pump you do need to dismantle the caravan end in order to disconnect the old and connect the new cable that feeds electricity to the actual pump. 

Andy