Babstreefern

Chatsworth House Christmas market

Can anyone let me know if you've been to Chatsworth House Christmas market.  Me and the girls are going on 18 November.  On week days its £10 per car/£20 at weekend.  Free for blue badge holders.  Looks good.  Have never been, looking forward to it.  It also states that there's no designated parking for motorhomes

We went last year and were disappointed. 

Fortunately we were staying on the club site so didn’t have to pay the parking. 

The weather Didn’t help as it was unseasonably warm and drizzling but I thought it was expensive with quite a limited choice of stalls etc.  Although plenty of them. 

Others may obviously have a different view. 

I would have likes to go and see the lights , but at £30 per Adult and £18 per child, its priced us out of that Idea.

Never been to the Christmas market but I am surprised that it may be be less than expected.

We have been to three of the Christmas at Chatsworth Events and one Country Fair...  and enjoyed them enormously.

My wife is (or was) thinking of the Christmas market this year.

The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire have been very successful in turning a stately home into a thriving business.  I have been to the Christmas market for the past two years. Each time, thought it was really enjoyable. Not vast numbers of stalls like at Birmingham, but all of them different and interesting.  Strongly recommend that you go on a weekday if you can.

nanamel

I've been going on and off to the Manchester Christmas market.  Its the largest in Europe.  But its the same stalls in the same places.  I used to visit it during my lunch hour, never been at night.  I just wanted to get out of work and get home.  I've also been to York Christmas market.  Very small, and disappointed, as is Chester.  So just thought would see what Chatsworth comes up with.  Oh, the best one I think is Lincoln.  Amazing, but its only on for the first weekend in December, spread over 4 days.  Pity its not on for much longer

39 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I've been going on and off to the Manchester Christmas market.  Its the largest in Europe

Is it? Bigger than the Christkindl Markt in Munich with its 3,000,000 visitors a year? or Nuremberg, Cologne, Aachen? Must be impressive if it is.

The Lincoln Christmas market is best to visit on the first Thursday afternoon when it has just opened and is not too busy. After then it is jam packed shoulder to shoulder as you all make your way round.

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Is it? Bigger than the Christkindl Markt in Munich with its 3,000,000 visitors a year? or Nuremberg, Cologne, Aachen? Must be impressive if it is.

Don't know how many visitors, but I'm talking about stalls, and its only what's printed in the newspapers.  If that many people visit just over the Christmas period, do you really see anything?

We have been the Chatsworth at Christmas several times and always enjoy it. However we only been to the Christmas Market once a couple of years ago but still staying at the CMC site. I am not sure (knowing what I now know!) that I would make a special trip to it unless I was also combining it with a visit to the Big House which always has a special Christmas theme and in my view more interesting  than the market

David

ChatsworthMarket_1.jpg

Thanks everyone.  I live only an hour away from Chatsworth.  We'll see what the market is like, and if we've seen it in under an hour, then may go into the house:D

Prices for Chatsworth

https://www.chatsworth.org/book-tickets/