Paul R T

Donington services (MI Jnctn 23A/A42)

Hi All

We will be towing from Hertfordshire to the Peak Disrict this Sunday (10 November) via A1/A14/MI/A50/ A515 to Ashbourne and on to Hartington.

We don't want to arrive at the site before the weekenders have left.

We are thus planning to stop for a (self-catering) lunch at Donington Services.

Has anyone used these services recently?

I believe from earlier posts that there is a caravan parking area separate from the HGVs. Is this OK and reasonably signposted?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Paul R T

I'm going to answer in general terms as I can't remember what it is like there.

Many times I use motorway services if there are separate caravan sections I miss the signs and end up in HGV area.

If I find a caravan area it is usually full of HGV s.

So basically tend to go to HGV area and not worry.

Regarding your self catering lunch does that include using gas?  If so is it allowed ?

4 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I'm going to answer in general terms as I can't remember what it is like there.

Many times I use motorway services if there are separate caravan sections I miss the signs and end up in HGV area.

If I find a caravan area it is usually full of HGV s.

So basically tend to go to HGV area and not worry.

Regarding your self catering lunch does that include using gas?  If so is it allowed ?

Naked flames are prohibited at all MSAs - they may be permitted at less foirmal rest areas.

It's not bad for caravans. Plenty of space in my experience. Long walk to the facils.

Donnington has a separate caravan area (which sadly sometimes gets used by HGVs and cars).

To get to it drive through the HGV area and follow the road out the far end then bear right - you'll see signs for caravan parking which then is on your left.  Drive in forward, Stop, Drive out forward, great 

I've never been there yet when there hasn't been at least one space available. 

re post immediately before this - I wouldn't say the walk to the facilities is all that far, 50 yards maybe.

Edited by Cheltenham Caravanner

14 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Naked flames are prohibited at all MSAs - they may be permitted at less foirmal rest areas.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to bother about you putting the gas stove on to make a cup of tea. You only have to look around the HGV parking  in the evening to see hundreds of drivers doing just that, most non UK trucks even cook their meals from the box mounted under the trailer, so in plain sight of everyone, and nothing is done or said, I know this from nearly 30 yrs of parking my truck overnight in services.

So to the OP, if you want to self-cater in the services, just do it, nothing will be said.

42 minutes ago, 1164 County said:

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to bother about you putting the gas stove on to make a cup of tea. You only have to look around the HGV parking  in the evening to see hundreds of drivers doing just that, most non UK trucks even cook their meals from the box mounted under the trailer, so in plain sight of everyone, and nothing is done or said, I know this from nearly 30 yrs of parking my truck overnight in services.

So to the OP, if you want to self-cater in the services, just do it, nothing will be said.

If it is not allowed then no, don't do it and as for encouraging someone to break the rules just because others do.... that's the road to anarchy and irresponsible

macafee2

Edited by macafee2
  • Like 2

donnington.png

13 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

If it is not allowed then no, don't do it and as for encouraging someone to break the rules just because others do.... that's the road to anarchy and irresponsible

macafee2

The 6 caravan places are signed very clearly "Caravans only" .

Might be nice if all other motorists left them for their designated use.

Mind you - not sure I'd call misuse anarchy.  

18 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

macafee2

Ok, point taken, but I note your'e not going all Dudley Dooright over the other posters encouraging the OP to park in the HGV area, why would that be? 

• Haha 1

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies and particularly thanks to Squash for the annotated map - very useful.

We will now plan to stop there en route. Re gas useage, thanks for the reminder. We are only going to have a few sandwiches, not a full Sunday lunch, so that is OK!

Cheers

Paul R T