Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang1983

Adjusting Pole Positions

Hi,

I would like to know i how far up on corner should the corner roof poles should be 

My awning is size 1100

Thanks

IMG_20191106_152714.jpg

IMG_20191106_152723.jpg

I’d  put them a little higher into the curve of the rail. Definitely no lower than you have them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I’d  put them a little higher into the curve of the rail. Definitely no lower than you have them. 

Cheers for tip; To re position them do I release the tension clip then undo the rail clip then move then re tension after.

I am new to putting awnings up

Thank you

Edited by wolfgang1983

Hi,

I have to change my corner roof poles. But I would like to know the best way to do it so not have to take down whole awning.

I was thinking of undoing the guy ropes on the corner but leaving the storm strap on on side?

I am by my self living so just need to make life easy so not have to take it down then re do it.

Thanks

IMG_20191103_105507.jpg

IMG_20191106_152714.jpg

I have done that, by just relaxing the compression in the pole, but leaving it in place and locked into the "block pad", sliding the latter to where it best suits. My blocks lock onto and can slide on a secondary bead on the awning.

All done single handed, my preferred way of working with awnings.

Edit; in the photo it looks pretty close to being optimally placed?

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTQ said:

I have done that, by just relaxing the compression in the pole, but leaving it in place and locked into the "block pad", sliding the latter to where it best suits. My blocks lock onto and can slide on a secondary bead on the awning.

All done single handed, my preferred way of working with awnings.

Edit; in the photo it looks pretty close to being optimally placed?

Just needs to be moved up slightly trying to get everything done before next big rain. I am in nz and expected to get 90mm rain next few days from Friday 

33 minutes ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Just needs to be moved up slightly trying to get everything done before next big rain. I am in nz and expected to get 90mm rain next few days from Friday 

An idea that might also help in heavy rain;

With such a large roof span I have found adding in extra rafters has solved a tendency for rain pooling on the roof.

I made mine up to suit, using a hook on the block end and clamp on the front to clip onto the gable poles.

I found placing these "diagonally", splaying out to the front, worked very well.

image.png

This is one of our larger awnings in the process of being erected, and shows two additional roof poles either side of the central ridge, making a total of seven roof poles to keep the roof canvas wrinkle free to allow water to run freely off. Final tensioning all round was need to remove the wrinkles in the side walls too. 

image.png

Later the space was put to good use when the awning was filled with tables for an evening get together.

image.png

• Like 1

Agree with JTQ, I would adjust it the same ,, also it looks like that you only have three Rafters, an extra two should be sufficient. Anything over 950 cm should have five in total

Just seen in your other Thread your awning size is 1100 CM

36 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Agree with JTQ, I would adjust it the same ,, also it looks like that you only have three Rafters, an extra two should be sufficient. Anything over 950 cm should have five in total

Just seen in your other Thread your awning size is 1100 CM

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

An idea that might also help in heavy rain;

With such a large roof span I have found adding in extra rafters has solved a tendency for rain pooling on the roof.

I made mine up to suit, using a hook on the block end and clamp on the front to clip onto the gable poles.

I found placing these "diagonally", splaying out to the front, worked very well.

Not sure how I would add extra roof poles I will take a new photo tomorrow afternoon and post it on here to see what you think. fixed add on but will see how I go with awning. 

@Les Medes

I do have 5 roof poles so is OK. Just trying to do the final tweaks. Before I put false floor in etc.  I have only been on this site three weeks now. Will be my first year in caravan. Never put awning up before but you are correct my awning is 1100

I am located in Nelson, NZ

Edited by wolfgang1983

15 minutes ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Not sure how I would add extra roof poles

Additional roof poles should be available from any caravan dealership. You just need to know the overall length required and the style of end fittings. They should be available as steel, aluminium, or resin composite poles to suite your make of awning. 

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Additional roof poles should be available from any caravan dealership. You just need to know the overall length required and the style of end fittings. They should be available as steel, aluminium, or resin composite poles to suite your make of awning. 

You mean something like this

https://uk-caravans.co.nz/product/roof-rafter-pole-bracket-pad-clip/

You could always get one of these, or they are easy to make, just flatten out a steel pole and create a curve.

curved roof pole.jpg

https://uk-caravans.co.nz/product/roof-raiser-poles

Edited by Organman
new image added
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfgang1983 said:

If that has the correct "hook and pad" end fitting for your caravan, then "yes". 

I have now changed my corner pole position easier than I thought

Hope this looks better

rsz_1rsz_img_20191107_105137.jpg

rsz_img_20191107_105129.jpg

Not a great start to living in caravan I also may have to take down awning and replace the awning rail as water issue. Very expensive start around $4k spend on awning and caravan repairs.

On 06/11/2019 at 23:35, Organman said:

You could always get one of these, or they are easy to make, just flatten out a steel pole and create a curve.

curved roof pole.jpg

https://uk-caravans.co.nz/product/roof-raiser-poles

I just got two of these thanks.

Edited by wolfgang1983